How do I train?

Options
So I’ve decided to do my first duathlon and it’s not huge. It’s a 3 mile run followed by a 15 mile bike ride. I run and ride everyday and lift weights every other day. But anyone who has ever done this or even a triathlon any suggestions would be super helpful. Thank you
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    I'm not a duathlete, I'm a rower. But:

If you do a web search, using the term "duathlon training plan", you'll find multiple free ones out there. Maybe take a look see what seems realistic for you to do, consider the credentials/credibility of the person or site that put together the plan?

When I follow a training plan - which I mostly don't anymore - I use one I got from my first coach. But I've looked at some free online plans for rowing, and the ones from decent sources are a reasonable approach, for someone not lucky enough to have direct in-person coaching. I suspect the same would be true for other sports, especially sports that are more common and popular.

I hope someone may have a specific one to recommend to you, though!
  • retta87
    retta87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You’re always so helpful.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not a duathlete, I'm a rower. But:

If you do a web search, using the term "duathlon training plan", you'll find multiple free ones out there. Maybe take a look see what seems realistic for you to do, consider the credentials/credibility of the person or site that put together the plan?

When I follow a training plan - which I mostly don't anymore - I use one I got from my first coach. But I've looked at some free online plans for rowing, and the ones from decent sources are a reasonable approach, for someone not lucky enough to have direct in-person coaching. I suspect the same would be true for other sports, especially sports that are more common and popular.

I hope someone may have a specific one to recommend to you, though!

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 is right that there are training plans out there. Duathlons are usually run-ride-run (as far as I know), but there is a lot of variation. If you are comfortable running and riding, then the big challenge will be running after riding. It's common to cramp up, and you have to warm up a little slowly.

So, my advice is to practice the transition just about every week until the race. These are sometimes called "bricks," which I think comes from "BRC," short for "Bike-Run Combination." (That's a total guess, btw.) You find a place where you can stash your bike, then pick a running and riding course (~1mi running, ~3mi riding) and run-ride-run-ride-[...]. The ratio of 3 is intended to make the run and ride segments about the same duration.

You also would train individually on running and riding by running and riding. For the riding, you might want to swap any fancy cleat pedals you might have for ones that work with your running shoes (with toe clips or not). Most days can be regular pace, but to increase speed, you need an interval day for each. I like doing bike intervals on a hilly loop.

Now that I've written my opinions, I searched the web and found very similar advice on this page

https://www.runandbecome.com/running-training-advice/duathlon-advice-tips-beginners

Best of luck and have a blast!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, that duathlon sounds like a blast!!! Given your current running, biking and strength work, this should be right in your wheelhouse. You've received some good suggestions from folks already. I'd be glad to comment further, based on a bit more input from you. A few questions:

1. How long until race day?
    2. What is your current run and ride volume? How long is your long ride each week?
    3. I'm guessing that you will use your current bike, correct?(don't know whether your riding is on an indoor spin bike, or road bike, etc.)
    4. Do you have a particular area of concern regarding training and/or race prep?

I've done a couple duathlons (run-bike-run), but I'm more experienced with triathlons at varying distances.

Regarding plans, two very well respected and popular endurance coaches are Matt Fitzgerald and Joe Friel (The father of endurance training). Friel's book "Your first Triathlon" can be easily adapted to duathlon. Fitzgerald's books and plans are very user friendly as well. Finally, if you become a real geek about this stuff and want to understand how to prepare for longer training builds (for longer events) Bob Seebohar's "Nutrition Periodization for endurance athletes" is a good read. :)

I'll stop yammering on now, lol.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You could probably pick a weekend and just do the distance in training, take a rest day prior.
    It'll take longer without the support - but setup your stuff at home or in car exactly like it would be there on ground in transition area. (don't forget if doing it from car, bring bike lock or someone that is willing to hang around)
    If the route is close enough to do this training at, go there. Or at least look at profile for elevation and confirm you have some routes to mimic or be worse.
    Don't need to make it race pace at all - longer better for endurance training.

If you need to refuel, and may not need to - test that too at that time.
    Not all things rest easy on a stomach blood flow has been restricted to, some things require water be taken with it, which might be easier at transition and then use bottle on the bike.

Know how to confirm you aren't taking off too fast burning through needed carbs, only to suffer later.
    Excitement of mass run start has many almost sprinting when that's not a sustainable pace and will ruin them later.

I agree that you'll want to look over the race description, a run followed by bike and that's it is unusual, usually R-B-R, with the 2nd run longer. I've only done one Duo but it was at the time a typical 5K-40K-10K.
  • retta87
    Options
    I’m really excited. I have a long time to prepare, it’s not until October. I specifically want to work on my running. I want to be able to run the miles fully. Running is my weak spot. But I’ve been running a bit further each day without stopping. I cycle everyday for at least an hour , some days longer. I run a mile to a mile and half and every other day I lift weights along with that.

I have pretty long time to prepare for this! I’m pretty motivated when it comes to working out. I’m definitely going to check out the books you recommend because diet is something I need guidance with.

So I guess my main focus is being able to run with endurance and pacing myself and then the transition. I don’t have any fancy gear, I’ll be doing it with my mount bike. The goal is to finish!

Good for you for doing Triathlons!! I can only doggie paddle to save myself from drowning lol. If I enjoy doing this, I’ll be getting a road bike(I’ve always wanted one)

I really appreciate everyone’s advice!
    Djproulx wrote: »
    OP, that duathlon sounds like a blast!!! Given your current running, biking and strength work, this should be right in your wheelhouse. You've received some good suggestions from folks already. I'd be glad to comment further, based on a bit more input from you. A few questions:

2. What is your current run and ride volume? How long is your long ride each week?
    3. I'm guessing that you will use your current bike, correct?(don't know whether your riding is on an indoor spin bike, or road bike, etc.)
    4. Do you have a particular area of concern regarding training and/or race prep?

I've done a couple duathlons (run-bike-run), but I'm more experienced with triathlons at varying distances.

Regarding plans, two very well respected and popular endurance coaches are Matt Fitzgerald and Joe Friel (The father of endurance training). Friel's book "Your first Triathlon" can be easily adapted to duathlon. Fitzgerald's books and plans are very user friendly as well. Finally, if you become a real geek about this stuff and want to understand how to prepare for longer training builds (for longer events) Bob Seebohar's "Nutrition Periodization for endurance athletes" is a good read. :)

• Djproulx
    edited March 2022
    Options
    retta87 wrote: »
    I’m really excited. I have a long time to prepare, it’s not until October. I specifically want to work on my running. I want to be able to run the miles fully. Running is my weak spot. But I’ve been running a bit further each day without stopping. I cycle everyday for at least an hour , some days longer. I run a mile to a mile and half and every other day I lift weights along with that.

I have pretty long time to prepare for this! I’m pretty motivated when it comes to working out. I’m definitely going to check out the books you recommend because diet is something I need guidance with.

So I guess my main focus is being able to run with endurance and pacing myself and then the transition. I don’t have any fancy gear, I’ll be doing it with my mount bike. The goal is to finish!

Good for you for doing Triathlons!! I can only doggie paddle to save myself from drowning lol. If I enjoy doing this, I’ll be getting a road bike(I’ve always wanted one)

Lots of time for you to be well prepared and have a great first race.

Running: You don't need to run every day as you get started. 3-4 days/week are fine. Rest days are important to avoid injury. Also, a run/walk approach such as you are doing, is helpful as you build endurance. Don't worry about speed. You should be able to speak in full sentences as you run. If not, slow down. Eventually, just increase one of your runs each week by a modest amount, say 10%. There are lots of plans out there to help with that.

Cycling. Similar suggestion to slowly increase your weekly long ride over time. Again, no need to ramp up quickly.

Feel free to pm if you want to discuss in more detail.

ETA: One book I like by Matt Fitzgerald is "Racing Weight: Getting Lean for Peak Performance" if you want a common sense guide to approaching the subject.
  • retta87
    Options
    I’m going to look into that book. I can run a little over a mile without stopping and I just read you increase it by 10% each week! So that’s helpful and ensures having enough time to be able to run.
    Would the same rule apply to increasing my biking time by 10% each week?

Running: You don't need to run every day as you get started. 3-4 days/week are fine. Rest days are important to avoid injury. Also, a run/walk approach such as you are doing, is helpful as you build endurance. Don't worry about speed. You should be able to speak in full sentences as you run. If not, slow down. Eventually, just increase one of your runs each week by a modest amount, say 10%. There are lots of plans out there to help with that.

Cycling. Similar suggestion to slowly increase your weekly long ride over time. Again, no need to ramp up quickly.

ETA: One book I like by Matt Fitzgerald is "Racing Weight: Getting Lean for Peak Performance" if you want a common sense guide to approaching the subject.

• Djproulx
    Options
    I’m going to look into that book. I can run a little over a mile without stopping and I just read you increase it by 10% each week! So that’s helpful and ensures having enough time to be able to run.
    Would the same rule apply to increasing my biking time by 10% each week?

Yes, the same idea applies to cycling.

For example: During an 8 week training build, if your long ride or run day was on Saturday, you could simply lengthen that workout by say 10%(a guideline) during week 2, and again on week 3, then on week 4, maybe you take a recovery week(slightly less volume/intensity). Then increase distance again during weeks 5, 6, 7 and take another lighter week on week 8. The idea is to build up training volume in a controlled way, while also giving your body time to shed fatigue periodically.

This should not be a complicated process for a duathlon of the distance you are training for. Just simply a guideline if you wanted a basic idea of how to increase distance or time. This concept becomes more popular during longer builds, where runners/cyclists are reaching long distances and running for 2-4hrs, riding 3-5hrs, etc.

Also, if you're concerned about running the distance: A run/walk approach is very effective. Many people in my training group use a 4:1 method on many of our long run days, especially on days following a hard bike the previous day that leaves us running on tired legs. Its simply 4 minutes of running: 1 minute walking recovery. The one minute break brings down the heart rate and allows time to gather yourself for the next 4 min run block. And there's no magic to the 4:1 ratio, use any ratio you like: 3:1, 9:1, etc. This is very effective even for seasoned runners and will allow you to build endurance safely.

Lots of plans and info out there. Hope this helps as you start.

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Can you join a local triathlete group? My husband is a triathlete, his group has lots of duathletes, as well as people only doing one discipline.

A group will have lots of training and practice events you can join, as well as people with helpful advice. You might even find some people are registered for the same event as you. It can be really helpful having others from your group at an event, and if several people are going your group might help with practicalities like transportation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I trained for a sprint tri years ago. I followed a structured training program. There are a lot out there on the internet ranging from complete fitness novice to advanced. I was at a pretty high level of fitness when I started, so I went with a Hal Higdon 8 week program which included running, cycling, swimming, and strength sessions. I really like his programs. My wife has since retired from marathon running, but she always used his marathon programs when she was still doing those and halves.