high fructose corn syrup

Options
Should high fructose corn syrup in any products like mayonnaise or relish be avoided when trying to lose weight even when on a calorie deficit?

Replies

• antigymrat
    antigymrat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's not the high fructose corn syrup that is the problem - it's the processed food that's the problem.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    As others have said: no, it doesn't matter. I tend to agree that it might be a taste issue, but otherwise it will make no difference, cals will. Sure, eating healthfully is also good, but a little HFCS isn't going to prevent that.

Reading labels is good, but basic nutrition is more about what you do eat: eat sufficient protein, sufficient fiber, healthy sources of fat (including nuts and seeds, fatty fish, avocado, olives and olive oil, etc., which doesn't mean you can't also eat other sources in moderation), and lots of vegetables and some fruit, ideally.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    HFCS is something like 70% fructose and 30% glucose. Fructose is digested in the liver by turning it into triglycerides and creating a fatty droplet. about 20% of it is made available to your body to use for energy and the rest is stored, so you can eat fructose and be hungry quite soon after, because your body went and stored it all. Having said that it's good for athletes. long story.

Glucose is mostly set free in the blood to be used as energy and maybe 20% gets stored as glycogen in the liver. Glycogen is non toxic and you can store as much as you like, it's what your brain needs. If there's too much glucose floating around in the blood, your body produces insulin to help it enter cells and either be used, or be stored as fat.

As a type 2 diabetic I avoid hfcs like the plague, but understand that normal corn syrup is much higher in glucose (lower in fructose) and is absolutely fine... for a non diabetic.

I would never recommend anyone consume any HFCS. It's bad news.

Beware of the sugar fights around here. There are some people very invested in the pre-'sugar myth' discoveries of, what 2010? I get a lot of flak on this site for recommending anyone ever avoid it, or suggesting they eat fat instead; but fat is a safe food product which doesn't trigger insulin and provides enormous satiety. We've been metabolising it for maybe a million years and our bodies are good at it. HFCS not so much.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The least costly conversion to stored fat is from fat where no conversion is needed.

To convert anything else to fat you actually spend calories and have to be operating in at least a temporary caloric surplus.

Your body takes in, stores, and spends energy continuously.

The net total change finally determines whether you have to hit the emergency reserves and use some combination of fat and nonfat stored energy, or whether you will be permanently adding to the emergency reserves.

Any eating methods that long-term consistently allow you to comfortably and happily eat the correct level of calories will lead to the results these levels imply.

My personal observation of people who met a lot of success eating a low-carb diet to lose weight, yet failed to maintain that loss because they were not willing, or not able, to maintain their lifestyle beyond The Diet phase made me more interested in finding alternatives that would work for me for the longer term and would be compatible with my current and envisioned potential lifestyle.

If you find fat and protein satiating you can incorporate that information in your daily life.

It so happens that I do and I do incorporate strategic fat in my eating. But not at the expense of protein and yummy carbs and fiber.

(Has anyone looked at where most of the calories come from when they're consuming chocolate???)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Heh, I was typo happy in that last message. Fixing just the most incoherent part:
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'd say it's a good rule of thumb that if someone claims to know what does and does not lead to hunger in general, as if humans didn't differ on this, that they are at least oversimplifying.

For example, while I am not anti fat (and pretty obviously the vast majority of cals in ANY regular mayo is from fat)...