Can we talk tattoos?

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
edited March 2022 in Chit-Chat
My daughters and I are going to get a tattoo while we're together in May. We're all going to get the same thing. They each have several. They told me I could pick what I wanted us to have. I warned them it'd probably be something dorky but they said they could either hide it or modify it to their preference.
So I have zero experience with this. Cost. Pain. Coolness. :) Especially the coolness factor. :)
I've been searching online and came up with 5 I like. But wondered if anybody has the coolness trendy factor going on because I still don't have a clue. :( I wish I could post pictures but not sure if I can figure it out.

Any and all advice, experiences, suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated.

https://www.pinterest.com/holdontoyourdre/tattoos/

Oops, I wanted to just post the blue dragonfly in the middle but guess you can see all the ones I found. Something small, calm, meaningful. :)

Replies

• Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,154 Member
    I like the dragon fly ones.

I have a little tattoo on my stomach by my hip. When people say they're addictive don't worry they aren't 😂 I still only have the one and it's been almost 20 years.

In my limited experience you don't feel much when it's on the fleshy part, I've a high pain tolerance and I described it as annoying like when you have a cut and it keeps getting rubbed for some reason. I suggest getting it somewhere you can keep it hidden. But that's just my opinion partly cause the circles I run in aren't really the tattooed types and I always figured if I were wearing a pretty dress to a fancy function a tattoo would ruin the look...
  • MintMoijo
    MintMoijo Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2022
    Google where it’s most painful to have tattoos done so you can confidently choose and for your first don’t go too big.

Eat something around an hour before and take a sugary drink or chocolate with you.

If you have some ibuprofen and or numbing cream use it before you go.

It doesn’t hurt everyone, some people fall asleep and dont feel a thing.
  • ReenieHJ
    Oh I can do chocolate. :)

I'm not as worried about the pain(because it will be small) as much as I'm worried about picking the right one. :/ I found more but the more I find, the harder the choice is.
    As far as placement, probably my forearm or shoulder. DD said something like the blue dragonfly would be between 150-250 plus tip. So much to learn......

Thank you both!!
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Fun fact: You can use Orajel to numb your skin and your tattoo artist can tattoo right over it. That's what I did when I got my back piece (because I am a huge baby). We also took lots of breaks and completed the whole thing over several sessions (since it was, like, a 30hr tattoo...). But I also had a little otter tattooed on my hip back when I turned 18, in color, and it took maybe 30minutes and mostly felt like pressure and zero pain, so it just depends. The real bummer was healing!! I couldn't even wear a bra when I got my back done, and it was a little tricky to reach certain places to clean and lotion up.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2022
    Not that my opinion matters, but I really like the tree of life idea. It's a little different, and the connection to family/kids is clear. It could be scaled pretty easily (small and simple for you, as large and elaborate as they wanted)... Plus, your kids could add to it/touch it up if/when they had kids of their own.
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,008 Member
    Imo, Whatever you decide, as long as it has meaning for you and your daughters, it has the coolness factor. Seems very sweet to create those memories together.

Thinking about placement of the tattoo can help with the design you choose if you haven’t decided. Do you want it to be always visible or are you able to hide it easily? How small is small? Sometimes an artist might see the design and say, it has to be bigger to see the details. Are you prepared to go bigger if they say that?

As an alternative to having the exact same designed tattoos you could suggest getting something small in the exact same location or stick with the same general theme. Then there is no pressure in regards to picking the designs for others or guilt if they don’t like it. This really sounds like a sweet memory making journey together.

If they’ve/you’ve already chosen the tattoo studio, I’d look up the style/images of work of the artist to see what they’ve done.

Dragonflies supposedly represent transformation. :)
  • therealme_lissa
    therealme_lissa Posts: 95 Member
    First of all; that is SO cool that you are getting a tattoo with your daughters!!! I love it!

I have gotten 2 tattoos so far; one on my forearm & one on my outer calf (I’m currently in the process of having that one lasered off & that HURTS😂)

I just had a consult this week for a sleeve on my right arm & I’m so excited that I can’t stand it!

The cost of tattoos vary. Most artists charge a minimal price, no matter what you get. Some charge by the hour ($150-$250 US dollars in my area). If it’s a simple design (as yours is), then sometimes they’ll quote you on just the piece.

Now as far as pain goes… pain is all relevant; we don’t experience it the same. Placement matters a lot when it comes to pain; Google will tell you where is most tender. They use different needles/ tattoo guns when outlining vs shading, so that matters as well.

With that being said, getting a tattoo hurts! Is it unbearable? No! Can you tolerate the pain? Yes! 😊 When people ask me what getting tattooed feels like, I say “it’s like the kind of pain that just pisses you off” 😂 There’s a reason large pieces get broken up into several sessions; pain threshold!

In June I’m starting my journey of getting my entire arm tatted; if it was unbearable, I wouldn’t be doing it! 🤪

Good luck & post pics once you’ve gotten it! 😊
  • ReenieHJ
    I cannot thank you all enough for your input. <3

I actually picked the tree as my first choice, then started going back and forth between that and the dragonfly, then looked for more ideas(big mistake!). I do like the idea of the tree because of family roots, etc. And being environmentally focused, along with nature, I like it for that as well. I liked the dragonfly because of the dragonfly story re: losing loved ones and transformation/change.

@therealme_lissa One of my dds is working on both sleeves(something that big is definitely a work in progress) and my other dd started with a small tattoo on her forearm which she's added to, as well as vines across the back of her shoulders.

@jjpptt2 and of course, your opinion matters! Everybodys' opinion matters :)
  • ReenieHJ
    @litha Good point about looking up the artist's artwork; my dd could connect me with that I'm sure. Thanks!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I have several tattoos and I agree with whoever said more flesh = less pain. I have a line of script that runs across the back of one shoulder and the part over my spine was a little tender. My artist described the sensation as "like a cat scratch" and I think it's like working in the garden with something prickly scratching you repeatedly. Not particularly pleasant but definitely not unbearable.

I have several tattoos because I planned the first one to be hidden under most circumstances (I'm in a very conservative profession) and eventually kinda regretted that because I liked it so much I wanted it on display. One of my later tattoos is almost never hidden, it's on the back of my wrist. So far all of mine are dog themed.

Coolness factor. Years ago I read an article about a grandmother, mother and a couple of daughters who all got matching tattoos to celebrate one of the women as a cancer survivor. The design they chose was a little piece of the pattern from grandma's favourite china (it was a sort of floral/viny design). I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Is there something you and your daughters have in common that would suggest a design?
  • ReenieHJ
    @ythannah Re: something we all have in common.......We're all in the same family? :) That's why I'm trying to get their input on this but they said it was all my decision. :# More I think about it, the more I like the tree idea, and it's something we can all personalize to make it our own.

I did check out the guy's portfolio and they showed some massive allover body tattoos. Beautiful work, and many artists to choose from in the same gallery. Looks like I'll need to visit my dd more often. :)
  • LBSwartz
    LBSwartz Posts: 10 Member
    I make it a policy to never make a decision that I can't reverse.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    I like the drawn dragonfly but I don’t have tattoos.
  • Okillhavecake
    Okillhavecake Posts: 4,855 Member
    What about get the date of the day ye are getting it done so the three of ye will never forget that date and day ye shared that fun and (pain) joke 😉
    I’ve tattoos and the pain is grand don’t worry about it 😁
  • Punksprincess83
    Punksprincess83 Posts: 218 Member
    I love that you are getting tattoos with your daughters. I have been begging my mother for a long time to get a mother daughter tattoo with me something small but she won’t lol maybe one day I can convince her too. I like the tree of life tattoo. Its always been one of my favorites. But whatever you all decide I know will be the best in the long run.

I have 6 tattoos total. One on the back of my neck Japanese symbol meaning serenity one on my right lower arm Deadpool and Spider-Man 3 on my left lower arm my dad’s badge my rose with the stem spelling patience and a Japanese symbol meaning heaven and one on my chest it’s baby yoda Grogu. I want more, those did not hurt it just depends on where you get them at as far as the pain goes. I wanted mine to where they can be seen. If you have a high tolerance for pain then you will be fine.