Excuses, Excuses

Options
I just got back from a weekend of visiting family. I noticed I have anxiety every time I eat anywhere besides my place. The first meal we ate was a taco salad (homemade) it wasn't bad I just watched the kitchen like crazy for what was going into the meal. Then my boyfriend and I were treated to delicious Italian food from a place that doesn't post their nutritional info online. I tried to eat half or even less than half of my food for that meal. Then, last night before leaving we were told to take candy off my boyfriend's grandmother's hands. Needless to say I didn't want to because I know I don't have the self-control to NOT eat it. Today all I could think about was how much I wanted the candy and this evening I finished the package. Yes, I did measure it out, but I still would rather have NOT eaten it.

Tonight, my boyfriend and I were invited over to a friend's house to eat dinner and I ended up eating a baked potato before hand thinking it would give me an excuse not to much at their place. Once I told our friend I ate here and was going to eat little when I would arrive he decided to put off the dinner get together for another time (he didn't want to make lots of food when I wasn't likely to eat much). This friend of mine knows I'm trying to lose weight and watching my diet but I don't think he really gets it. I hate using the excuse, I can't eat that, or I really shouldn't be eating that etc. etc. It sounds like a lame excuse and really all I'm doing to TRYING to make better food choices. After a whole weekend of not eating so healthy I just want to have better control over my food now and get back on track.

What do all of you do when you don't have control over your food for the day or even weekend? How do friends respond to you about watching your diet?

I feel like I'm being overly picky, but losing weight is something I REALLY want for myself and I have a goal to reach by December. Right now I'm on the edge of FINALLY getting out of the 170s and I feel like this weekend was full of challenges. I made the comment to my boyfriend earlier that maybe I should just quit trying to lose weight because I don't know what to do when I'm not here at our place for meals. I hate guess work with calories!

Replies

• wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did great... it isnt excuses... I know it is frustrating to go out or eat somewhere else, etc... but it is part of life... just eat light the rest of the day and try to salvage what you can in the one bad meal. Even if you go over one day... even if it is bad, you can still continue your positive journey... don't lose sight of the road because you hit a speedbump!

Keep up the good work!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this...I love this site and I have been super, SUPER picky lately about my diet and exercise. Almost obsessed. My best friend miles away literally brought it up yesterday because she and my other friend were worried about me. I workout everyday, yes, because I love it. And I like tracking my foods because I like knowing exactly what goes in my body.

When I go out, I try to estimate or go to a place with nutrional info. If it's something homemade and I don't know, I only eat a certain amount.

This is a lifestyle change for me, and it's working!
  • sbrown44
    Options
    When you are away from home, try to make good food choices. It sounds like it was very challenging this weekend. I was also challenged. We went away for the weekend. I had a mcskillet burrito on Saturday morning and finished the day at a buffet. But I still managed to stay within my calories by filling one plate with salad and fruit and the other with the meats. I didn't even eat full portions of the meat because the salad mainly filled me up. I hated wasting food but felt very happy that it wasn't going to defeat me!

You can do this.....anything worth having will never be easy!
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    First things first, DO NOT give up. You're not always going to have control over what you're eating, but it's okay. All you can do is try to guess as best as you can. Sometimes you'll get it right, sometimes you won't. But I can promise you that one day or even an entire weekend will not ruin everything.

You don't need to explain yourself to your friends. You don't need to feel bad about not eating as much food as they want you to. The food you put into your body is for YOU only, not to please them. So take care of yourself. If someone really gets offended, well that's something they need to figure out, not you.

Best you can do when you have a bad weekend is just work extra hard next week. If you know you're going away from a weekend or that something is coming up where you won't have control over what you eat, exercise a little more and maybe eat a little less during your meals that you do have control over. That way you don't have to worry so much.

Maybe you won't reach your goal by December, but I promise if you keep treating your body right, you will reach it eventually.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I don't let anyone interfere with my goals. Real friends understand and I don't have the time or patience to mollycoddle those who don't. It is my health and I aim to take care of it.
  • GregT44
    Options
    Relax a bit for starters. before you know it you'll be stress eating. Yes I have friends and family that are so supportive and a few that I swear are trying to sabotage my weight loss. I guess what I'm getting at, is that once in a while we may trip and fall , it's the getting back up that counts. I seen your starting weight was 182 and your current is 172. somewhere you took out 10 lbs that made you feel pretty good. lets go for another 10lbs. Keep at it and good luck.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i pretty much eat whatever i want, especially if i go out to eat. it is so rare for us to go out to eat, that when we do, i order whatever i feel like eating.

thankfully, most of my friends eat the same way we do, so if we do go out to eat, it's likely to be vegetarian or vegan and reasonably clean food, because that's what we eat (and thus how i eat whatever i want).

i don't keep any processed / store bought snack items in the house because i have a problem with snack foods. if i want a snack, i'll make a smoothie or have an apple or some raisins or peanuts or granola & yogurt.

if i'm out, and someone offers me a slice of cake, i take it with great appreciation and i will often share it with my boyfriend, not for the sake of sparing calories, but because usually a slice of cake is more sweet than i want.

so basically, if i'm outside the home, i accept gifts graciously, enjoy them and then go home.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I don't like eating something I didn't make. But when I do, here is what has worked for me.

If we are going to a friend or family member's house I offer to bring something. That way I know what was made, what went into it, and I generally eat more of that item. If it is a restaurant, I scope out their menu ahead of time and pick a few things that fit in my diet. Next, I eat light the day before and the day after and try to get in extra exercise.

I have a supportive husband, but my friends and family don't get it either. They always say "one meal won't hurt..." not realizing that all it takes is one meal to put me back on the wrong track. I have zero willpower once I get going the wrong way.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yep, I agree! I know it seems like a huge deal, but try not to stress, which in my case, makes me eat more! Have some, but just half, or less of what you would normally, and load up on the good stuff offered. Nothing wrong with a bite now & again. If I deprive myself, that's when I want it more!
    As for the candy, you can always graciously accept, then give it away, or simply toss it. Have a bit so when they ask, say "it was delish" and not hurt feelings but if you can't keep it without scarfing it, get rid of it!

You're doing great! Keep up the good work, and when you do slip up, don't beat yourself up. Life is too short!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's really hard isn't it? You did the right thing by just watching what was going into the taco salad, and not eating a whole serve. You could have done that at your friend's place too. You could also offer to bring a salad and fill up most of your plate with that.

With this whole lifestyle thing it is a bit hit and miss and doing what is manageable long-term. You're not going to spend the rest of your life only eating at home are you? So, finding what is right for you will be a bit of trial and error. I always allow myself a bit extra on the weekends.

Not much help I know, but we've all been there.

Good luck and congrats on your progress so far.

GG