Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Hi

I have just been diagnosed with the above. So, obviously have to stop drinking alcohol, but has anyone got any experiences of changing their diet and combatting diabetes ?

Thanks

Sean

Replies

• aeborowski
    aeborowski Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago and the best advice I could give is that you're going to have to put in the work.

Cut out/down the carbs. For most, this is cutting out the sweets, for others it may be the breads and pastas. There are SO many great alternatives out there.

Exercise will make all the difference in bringing down your A1C. Any exercise helps, but my doctor pushes strength training because, if you have high cholesterol like me, it can help keep your triglycerides in check.

Take your meds! If you're on Metformin, be prepared for an upset stomach, but it will pass. If you can't handle it, there is an extended release option. Don't let your doctor tell you that's the only option - there are absolutely other methods.

Don't get discouraged if you can't get your A1C down right away. It took me quite a few medication and lifestyle adjustments, but at my last set of labs, mine was finally down to 8. In fact, I had dropped a whole number of the three months prior, which is my biggest decrease yet. I have a long way to go, but we like to see progress.

Best of luck on your journey!