Help!!!

Options
Hello my name is Kathy and I'm 25 yrs old. I've been trying to loose weight for two years now and I always seem to fall off the wagon "/ so here I am giving it another try. It 's so hard to loose weight especially when I have no motivation and low self esteem. I want to loose weight for a more healthier me and a better looking me. My boyfriend tries to help in motivating me but it doesn't really help, he always says "babe instead of just going to the gym for an hour why don't you try to be there for 3 hours like I do?" He doesn't realize that just makes me want to quit all together and telling him to find a girlfriend that's skinny and better looking than me. So I'm hoping I can get some motivation here. Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• sbrown44
    Options
    First, you are beautiful!! Second, you can do this. The hr at the gym is a great start. Lastly, really seeing what foods are good and bad will definitely help you! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mainly about diet. Just by changing my diet and watching my calories along with 30 min to an hour at the gym I'm on a steady weight loss of 1 lb a week. You'll do great if you figure out a plan that works for you.
  • cortycrazy
    cortycrazy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck to you! it's tough getting started but once you do, it gets a little easier. :)
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    Ewww not good. Girly you are beautiful. I would recommend numero UNO......You need to do this for yourself not for anyone else. Number two, take a look at what you are eating. Try to remove processed foods and sugar over time. Eat food to nourish and the pounds will drop. Adding exercise will only make it happen quicker. You will feel better ,look better, and boom your self esteem will rise. Buy the right foods, nourishment, remember. Skip fast foods and restaurants. If you go that route, plan ahead what you will eat and try your very best to stay under your caloric goals. As time goes by, also pay closer attention to sodium and fats...etc.....

Add me if you like. Prayers to you. I have been there.

Chris
  • CarlaJean140down
    CarlaJean140down Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chris...This whole journey needs to be about you and what you want...I spent 20 years overweight...putting everyone ahead of me...this last year I was forced to focus on me.....it is a great adventure...take the time to learn who you are and what you want...that is the first step to success.
  • me1howard
    me1howard Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is hard...you are right. But, we have to love getting healthy more than we want the foods we can't have. Sometimes, I feel I could easily eat a dozen chocolate chip cookies or a whole choc. cake@! But, I know I would feel horrible and the scales would tell me it was wrong. Every day is a struggle for me and I'm trying to quit using food to try to make me feel better because it does not. I am my last chance. I've always tried to lose weight for other people or to make someone else happy, but this time it's for me!!
  • heidisbeeman
    Options
    It is hard - and you really do have to do it for yourself. Eating right, exercise, and the support of all the wonderful people here on MFP really help. I have lost 95 pounds total - it has taken a LONG time and I have fallen off more wagons than I would like to admit... but it has proven to me that you can do anything if you really want it and are doing it for the right reasons. Good luck you you on your journey!!
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think we have all been in your shoes one time or another. It's a lifestyle change, so you need to decide now that you want to change. If you are struggling with the gym- make changes in your diet first- weight loss is 80% diet. Your body needs fuel to survive, so you should be eating 6 meals a day. Healthy meals. Whole grains, fruits and veggies, lean meats. Try and cut down on the fried foods, sugary foods, fake sugars(they are all sweetners), skim milk or 1%. If you don't like going to the gym- maybe find something you do like to do. Maybe sign up for a class at your local rec center, swimming is good, biking, walking. Just something to get you moving. Once you see results then you will want to continue and so maybe then you go to the gym and workout- 3 hours is too long for you to be there. Who has 3 hours in there day to spend at the gym. Go there, do your thing and get out. If you want to see results it is good to do some cardio inbetween lifting weights, so do a set and then go run on the treadmill, do a set then treadmill continue this till your sets are done then move on to another exercise.

Another good tool is to write out your goals. Why do you want to lose the weight? What do you want to accomplish? How many days a week are you going to exercise? What kinds of foods do you need buy to help you accomplish your goals? Write them out and post them on your fridge. Take before pictures and post them where you can see them and when you don't feel like exercising look at those pictures and tell yourself that you deserve to be happy, and you want to be healthy and fit. These are just ideas you can use them or not. Please feel free to add me. We can help each other.
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello Kathy, listen, I agree with those whose first suggestion was doing this for yourself. I have battled the bulge since my teenage years. I have made many many attempts at achieving goal weights...sometimes successful for a period of time sometimes not making it a week. But, I'm on track now and have been for a yr. The difference for me this time is it's all about better health; not just a certain look. Truth is, the look will come with the better, healthier lifestyle. I used to be the guy that always said I could never run unless someone was chasing me, lol. I woke up one day feeling like crud as usual and decided I had to make changes. I went down to my treadmill and knocked the dust off of it and logged about 20 mins and didn't miss a day of walking for 3 months straight. Some days I took it easy, some days I pushed further and harder, but I got on it everyday. Before I knew it I was starting to jog by the end of three months. By the fourth month I did my first 5k of many to come. Keep in mind I started off at 325 lbs at 6'3". I didn't do any "diets" this time. I used good ole common since. I knew I had to burn calories everyday to burn fat and boost metabolism and consume a healthy rate of calories spread throughout the day as opposed to my old habit of skipping breakfast, maybe skipping lunch too and just going nuts for dinner and then late night snacking. For me I needed to be consuming about 2,000 calories a day. I had been probably taking in twice that. I started oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, lunch is usually subway 12" turkey, ham, or veggie on wheat with all veggies and black pepper and vinegar, no oil. I have nuts or fruit for snacks though out day and something grilled like chicken or fish with veggies for dinner. I cut out all soft drinks (very hard for me). I drink water, unsweetened decaf tea, and Perrier. I don't do any drive through food. I used to wear drivethroughs out sometimes twice daily. If I go out for dinner with family or friends, I check the restaurants website before hand for calorie info and pick the healthiest options. It's all truly working. Don't even consider any fad stuff. You have to make changes that are forever changes. You really do have to change your life, not to sound cliche. You can do this! How do I know, because if you are physically able to do any type of cardio at all, and capable of keeping up with your calories through the day and making them healthy calories, then I KNOW you can do this.

I'm curious how your hour at the gym is spent. Frankly, an hour at the gym is plenty if you have a plan and are consistent. I would urge u to spend a half hr or so on the weights then save 20 mins for cardio, ie treadmill, etc. Try to get in cardio 4-5 days a week even it's a few laps around your neighborhood. And every week keep extending your cardio time. How many days a week do you get to go to the gym? If you can come up with a plan and stick to it so you have a goal with your cardio and weights, you will naturally want to eat more healthily so you blow all your effort from cardio and working out. Keep this in mind too, I love to use this analogy, think of your calories for the day as a pile of firewood. Now, on a cold winter day is it better to throw a few logs on at a time throughout the day and keep a steady fire burning or is it better to throw the whole pile in the fire at once and have a raging fire for only a short period of time? I have to constantly remind myself to keep a steady flame burning and not skipping meals and healthy snacks. Kathy, make the decision that you and your happiness and overall health are worth something, really worth something and you will find the new you!

Ok, so I'm typing this on my iPad and probably have tons of typos, so I'm going to stop rambling now. I wish you the best of luck and if I can help encourage you in anyway, let me know. I'm sure I can offer you many other tips from my experience. Take a good look in the mirror, know that you are beautiful and that you can change your life.

Take good care.