HRM accuracy - bizzare burn after session finished

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a heart rate monitor with chest strap, normally I find its pretty accurate & I take it off within 10 minutes of finishing my session. Typically a bootcamp session I burn between 400 and max 600 calories.

This morning with about 15 minutes left to go in the session I had burned 450 calories, half an hour after I finished it had jumped to 840 - WTH!!! How did that happen? Has this happened for anyone else.... Am I missing something? How long after you finish a session should you count in your burn?

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• _Boomerang_
    Options
    Bump (in a non offensive manner)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I usually turn mine off as soon as boot camp is finished..do u keep yours running?
  • paulagabay
    Options
    something weird happened I think. Mine has been acting strange too. When my rate of perceived exercion tells me I am in the zone it will say my heart rate is 56 and then when I stand up it automatically jumps to anorobic over 142. Today when I was waiting for the light to turn green I went anorobic when I was having to swing my arms just to stay aerobic. I guess this doesn't answer your question though.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually turn mine off the second I finish my workout... I figure I've logged my work and anything extra helps since I don't eat it! :) I have noticed that some days I have huge burns and other days I don't. I find that depending on how hard I work, how I'm feeling, etc I can vary from 10-20%. Sometimes I burn 800 calories on a long walk, sometimes it's closer to 1000, but I feel different. If I'm sore and moving a bit more slowly I know I am going to have a lower burn. When I have more of a hop in my step and a wiggle in my walk, I can burn quite a bit more.

Do you feel like you might have pushed a bit harder today? Sometimes I get that fun, "I can conquer the world" feeling when I work out and those days usually log much higher burns.

Not sure if I helped or not, but keep up the good work! :)
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this...but I am interested in hearing what other people think!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The chest strap is supposed to be rinsed IMMEDIATELY after each use (including the transmitter which should be toweled dry) and it should be washed in cold water with detergent in a lingerie bag at least once a week. (This is in the use materials provided by the manufacturers...typically on-line rather than in the paperwork that comes with the device.) When the leads are dirty from use they can mis-read HR at a very high level which will translate into a ridiculous number of calories. If you can, check your avg and max HR for the glitchy workouts...the max will likely be something like 200+ bpm (not normal during routine exercise).

If you are not rinsing and washing regularly, start doing it! If you are already doing these things, you may need to wash more often. (My wife and I have a shared lingerie bag for our straps. We do our workout clothes once a week and put the straps in with them. Remember not to run your strap through the dryer though!)
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    but it was also 45 mins later...sometimes I leave it running to see my burn afterwards...you are still on an acclerated or after burn when you are done with your work out...so it might not be completely out of line...but I don't know how long your workouts are...

I average when I am kicking *kitten*...130 calories every 15 mins...according to my Polar F4...I have seen myself geat near that when I have had an hour workout at that level... so yeah..
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    my chest strap is supposed to be just rinsed in cold water..no detergent on the parts..I guess it depends what u have!
  • aoifebr
    Options
    The chest strap is supposed to be rinsed IMMEDIATELY after each use (including the transmitter which should be toweled dry) and it should be washed in cold water with detergent in a lingerie bag at least once a week. (This is in the use materials provided by the manufacturers...typically on-line rather than in the paperwork that comes with the device.) When the leads are dirty from use they can mis-read HR at a very high level which will translate into a ridiculous number of calories. If you can, check your avg and max HR for the glitchy workouts...the max will likely be something like 200+ bpm (not normal during routine exercise).

If you are not rinsing and washing regularly, start doing it! If you are already doing these things, you may need to wash more often. (My wife and I have a shared lingerie bag for our straps. We do our workout clothes once a week and put the straps in with them. Remember not to run your strap through the dryer though!)

I rinse it after each use but I've never used the washing machine - I guess it would be a lot more effective, thank you.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i turn mine off as soon as i finish exercising..i dont count the "cool down" period that i do for a few mins on the treadmill or any other "cool down" exercise for that matter.