What can I do to stick to my goal/lifestyle change?

Options
Hey everyone,

This is probably the millionth time I have fell off, gained more weight, got unhappy and decided I want to lose weight again. I’ve never successfully lost any weight in the last 10 years and kept it off.

My question is this - what am I doing wrong? Or what did you do that worked?

I always end up in a cycle of feeling like a failure. I want to lose the weight and have a healthy lifestyle but I never accomplish the goal. After about a month of trying (sometimes longer or shorter), something happens in my life and I give up.

Please help. Thanks.

Replies

• felixisalady
    felixisalady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love everything about this comment. This is exactly how I gained back about 1/2 of a 50# weight loss. Fortunately I’m back on track and didn’t gain it all back.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    There are resources out there for modifying behaviour, you could look into those. This is basic behavioural modification, there are well established techniques.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Daily -- every morning no matter what.
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The key is understanding that a diet and lifestyle changes are two completely different things. If you are significantly overweight/obese you need to want to make a lifestyle change to lose the weight and keep it off permanently. Diets are something for people who are slightly overweight that want to drop 10-15 lbs to look better in a suit/dress for a wedding/special occasion. The ironic thing is most diets (Keto, Paleo, Mediterranean, etc) all work if followed correctly for most people. The problem is most people lack the discipline to maintain that level of adherence for a sustained period of time. That isn't a knock on those folks. Those that can are the exception not the rule.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror morning and before bed. Simple as that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    @reeniehj put that brilliantly, a couple of posts above, IMO.

I'd add this:

I think self-definition is extremely important: How we think of ourselves. The point where we say "I am like this" or "this is what I do" . . . as if those things were invariant, unchangeable.

OP, @Mahdi22, you wrote:
    I always end up in a cycle of feeling like a failure. I want to lose the weight and have a healthy lifestyle but I never accomplish the goal. After about a month of trying (sometimes longer or shorter), something happens in my life and I give up.

What does "a failure" do? They fail. What happens to someone who "never accomplishes their goal" or who "tries and gives up"? They don't accomplish their goal, because they try, but give up.

Thing is, that's not "you". That might be your history**, but it's not the essential You.

Can you think of yourself, instead, as "someone who has great intentions and some good energy, but who hasn't found just the right plan for himself yet"?

That person, the one who hasn't found the right plan yet, what do they do? They learn from what didn't work, try a different plan. If that one works, great. If it doesn't, they learn more, try a different plan.

** I'll bet your history includes things you've succeeded at, goals you've accomplished, in your education, career, family life, financial habits, hobbies, or other areas. You know how to accomplish goals, you have the skills. You just haven't found the right way to apply those practiced skills, in your eating/activity habits. You can find the right plan. Keep working at it, as I'm sure you did in other areas.

P.S., About finding "the right plan". IMO, the right plan is personally tailored, considers our own preferences, strengths, limitations. It's sustainable, involves finding and practicing habits that are relatively easy, for eating and activity that we find enjoyable (or at least tolerable), that fit into our individual life well . . . habits that can be established in the short bouts of willpower we have, then continued more-or-less on autopilot as life gets busier.

Extreme "diets", miserable forms of exercise . . . lots of people try that. It rarely works. Think "find sustainable habits". That's slower, maybe, but can be more successful. Just a thought.
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @reeniehj put that brilliantly, a couple of posts above, IMO.

I'd add this:

I think self-definition is extremely important: How we think of ourselves. The point where we say "I am like this" or "this is what I do" . . . as if those things were invariant, unchangeable.

OP, @Mahdi22, you wrote:

What does "a failure" do? They fail. What happens to someone who "never accomplishes their goal" or who "tries and gives up"? They don't accomplish their goal, because they try, but give up.

Thing is, that's not "you". That might be your history**, but it's not the essential You.

Can you think of yourself, instead, as "someone who has great intentions and some good energy, but who hasn't found just the right plan for himself yet"?

That person, the one who hasn't found the right plan yet, what do they do? They learn from what didn't work, try a different plan. If that one works, great. If it doesn't, they learn more, try a different plan.

** I'll bet your history includes things you've succeeded at, goals you've accomplished, in your education, career, family life, financial habits, hobbies, or other areas. You know how to accomplish goals, you have the skills. You just haven't found the right way to apply those practiced skills, in your eating/activity habits. You can find the right plan. Keep working at it, as I'm sure you did in other areas.

P.S., About finding "the right plan". IMO, the right plan is personally tailored, considers our own preferences, strengths, limitations. It's sustainable, involves finding and practicing habits that are relatively easy, for eating and activity that we find enjoyable (or at least tolerable), that fit into our individual life well . . . habits that can be established in the short bouts of willpower we have, then continued more-or-less on autopilot as life gets busier.

Extreme "diets", miserable forms of exercise . . . lots of people try that. It rarely works. Think "find sustainable habits". That's slower, maybe, but can be more successful. Just a thought.

Thanks 🙏 I will try to frame everything in a positive way from now on. I know I can and will accomplish my goal. I just need to be consistent, patient, disciplined and positive.
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm trying rewards for reaching small goals this time to keep myself motivated and give me something tangible to look forward to. For instance I aimed to lose 10 pounds for my anniversary trip this weekend. I've lost about 7 and a few days left to go so I am getting a mani/pedi for my trip. I have to have a reason to keep going because in the past I've quit because I felt I wasn't getting enough in return for lost weight. I don't like to feel deprived
  • energized2020
    energized2020 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs since mid Nov '21. I put on 13.5lbs over the past 6 weeks because I was spending my entire days watching the world burn online.

I quit youtube, tv, social media and have instead been focusing on myself and my fitness. Im back on track eating clean, my anxiety is back to normal, my focus is stronger, I feel much better.

Try to keep things that stress you out to a minimum.