Cheese Admiration and Celebration

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I made my second pan de higo to go with a tapas spread with Spanish tortilla, cheese, charcuterie and vegetable sides (pimiento de padron and tomato salad). This is a great addition to a cheeseboard that contains salty cheese.

I used 90g toasted almonds with 400g of dried figs (stems removed) and and 2 tablespoons of brandy or cognac.

Blitz the nuts for a few seconds very roughly and set aside. In the food processor blitz the dried figs with the brandy until the sticky paste forms a ball, scraping down stuff stuck from the sides if necessary. Add the nuts to the fig mixture and use the food processor to knead the nuts in. Press into silicon muffin tins, top with another muffin tin and press down with a flat bottomed glass and refrigerate using a jar for weight. Most recipes say wait a day or two, but I often use after a few hours. Keeps several months in the fridge.

You can experiment with other dried fruit or nuts.
    hd3ev2lx4r3v.jpeg
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    [quote="AnnPT77;c-46683371"

v49znnw0owir.jpg[/quote]

I’ve just drooled onto my pillow 🤣
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Thanks for all the pictures. This is what sweet dreams are made of. :)<3
  • acpgee
    I love Saint Agur. In the UK it is sold in regular supermarkets, and pretty inexpensive. We use it mostly in green salads that include fruit and maybe candied walnuts or pecans.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    I love gruyere cheese
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Can't decide whether to post this in the cheese thread or the produce thread. Maybe both? 😉

There was blue cheese left over from the tasting (posted above), so I took one of the middling-preference ones that was a bigger remaining chunk (Point Reyes blue), and put it in dinner. This is dinner . . . uncharacteristically, eating almost like a grown-up tonight!

That's roasted cremini mushrooms, roasted asparagus, crumbled blue cheese, red lentil penne pasta, salad with some yummy long-aged balsamic vinegar on it, as a side. Cheeeeeese!

30o22ank8tgs.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    @Nicoles0305 . . .

Oh, yum! I have serious cheese envy: Those look beautiful and delicious. Lovely presentation there, too.

Nice work!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Not a fancy brand or anything, but, oh my goodness, so yummy (and sharp)! Private Selection (Kroger) Cheddar Gruyere. Just had some…simple happiness.
  • acpgee
    Hubby bought some goat gouda. Not as good as the stuff we used to buy when living in the Netherlands but still delicious. Aged goat gouda his one if my favourites. A little like pecorino.
  • AnnPT77
    On the reduced calorie cheese front, I'm liking this lately (and I don't think I've posted about it on the thread before: Jarlsberg lite.

It has the kind of nutty flavor of regular Jarlsberg, has more protein than fat, and is actually a fairly efficient source of non-meat protein, IMO. The melting qualities are not the same as full-fat, of course, but it's pretty nice in sandwiches, salads, or just to eat.

0dwqemf9jl2e.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Cheese is life!!

Last weekend I had my foodie bestie over and we had a cheese platter made some some really interesting cheese - raw sheep cheddar, ashed soft buffalo cheese, a washed rind d'affinois, a soft blue - which spanned a couple of nights. By Saturday, we had a lot of bits and pieces (which went with other bits and pieces in my fridge because cheeeeese)... so we made a Fromage Fort. Chopped/grated all the leftover cheese (minus moulds and rinds) and threw it in the food processor with a glug or 2 of white wine and some butter and blitzed it into the most amazing, smooth, cheesey dip. Oh lordy... it was a thing of beauty.
  • AnnPT77
    Cheese is life!!

Last weekend I had my foodie bestie over and we had a cheese platter made some some really interesting cheese - raw sheep cheddar, ashed soft buffalo cheese, a washed rind d'affinois, a soft blue - which spanned a couple of nights. By Saturday, we had a lot of bits and pieces (which went with other bits and pieces in my fridge because cheeeeese)... so we made a Fromage Fort. Chopped/grated all the leftover cheese (minus moulds and rinds) and threw it in the food processor with a glug or 2 of white wine and some butter and blitzed it into the most amazing, smooth, cheesey dip. Oh lordy... it was a thing of beauty.

That's truly cheese celebration. Invite me next time, eh? (JK! 😉 But yum.)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    A cheese thread…..a dram come true! Cheese is life! Bookmarked to read before bed tonight! 🧀
  • AnnPT77
    A nice little heap of mango-ginger white stilton. 😋
    Bedtime snack, I guess?
    95soz8u9gk1y.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 872 Member
    edited July 2022
    @AnnPT77 yum!

My favs: Brie! 🇫🇷 Gruyère 🇨🇭 Burrata 🇮🇹
    And my hometown mozzarella 🗽 hehe

Brie and fig anything would be great right now.
  • AnnPT77
    Y'know, I just made a quick post-biking dinner of mixed-together leftover roasted cauliflower and summer squash, plus red lentil penne, and I briefly melted some thin-sliced Oaxaca cheese over the top then stirred it in. The Oaxaca is mild, fairly calorie efficient**, and made a nice quasi-mac'n'cheese with the veggies & penne.

** It's a part-skim cheese, very melty. It's about 80 calories per ounce (roughly 28g), 7g protein. I think its role in its home culture is for quesadillas and that sort of thing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    See, this is dangerous, I just discovered I can get Oaxaca cheese, but only in 1kg lots... Hmmmmm