Does Protein Powder/substitues help??

Options
DO having protein substitutes help in your every day diet? DO they help keep muscle mass and encourage fat loss? Should I add it to my diet?

Replies

• GregT44
    Options
    My dietition wants me on 60-80 a day to maintain. I'm in the process of looking into the info on that myself.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Depends... Are you trying to build muscle mass? If so, how much -- a lot, or just "toning up"?

Building muscle mass requires extra protein. For body builders bulking up, you'll hear a recommendation of 1.5 gms of protein for each lb of body weight. For milder builders, I would say 1 gm or so for each lb.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    My experiences say yes.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like having over 100 gms in my diet to prevent muscle soreness, help with workout recovery and add some lean muscle. I am in love with Synth 6 by BSN and ok with Optimum Nutrition's Oats & Whey and Platinum Hydro Whey.
  • soifua
    Options
    I've had to add a drink here or a bar there when I work out really hard (I'm not really hungry after a workout), I've found when I don't my body it hungrier the next day.

but I'd love to know the answer
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was told to try to have a higher percntage of protein in my diet -- rather than carbs or fat... so I'll try to have protein at everymeal... or only have one "carb" meal per day.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Yeppers!! :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I find when I do weights and/or a heavy burn workout that if I eat protein before and after that I lose better and feel better. Also, my Dr.s both want us to sandwich our weight workouts between protein. So I say try and see how it works for you. For me and DH, it's working much better.
  • km5dx
    km5dx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I ride my mountain bike a lot (6 days a week / 1.5hrs per day) and I am a BIG fan of extended release protien... It helps my legs recover from the effort and controls my post workout / evening hunger. I like the Dymatize Elite XT (Vanilla or Banana Nut are good).
  • Darkness2120
    Options
    If you have a hard time getting it from whole foods, yes they do help immensely. But as always, the majority should be from food because after all they are "supplements."
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just that: protein. It's a tool. If you eat excess calories and train appropriate, hopefully your body will use it to build muscles. If you're attempting to lose fat, additional protein before and workouts may help both fuel the workouts and recover from them.

I use protein powder because it's a convenient, low sodium, way for me to get a bit more protein without adding too many carbs. If it helps balance out how many grams of protein you're supposed to have per day, then go for it. It's all about macronutrients and math (for me, at the moment).
  • becwp
    becwp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

Yes it is to build lean muscle and tone up, and stimulate and maximise fat loss.

I have been struggling to get my requirements from foods, but have found that I just need to tweak the "proteins" I am eating. I may try a shake a couple of times a week on boot camp and weight training days.:happy: