What’s the best diet for an active person with borderline type II diabetes, paleo or ketogenic?

Options
Is there a recommended diet for persons who are active and pre type II diabetic? And if so, is there a recommended calorie adjustment ratio rate, that would be more accurate to calculate active caloric consumption?
I ask this because the caloric ratio metrics for weight loss with type II Diabetics, is not the same ratio as a “normal” individual’s.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    For similar questions, I've previously seen many recommendations to have your doctor refer you to to a dietitian who specializes in diabetes.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Adding: whatever one you can stick to so you will meet your dietary needs. Likely, your way-of-eating will need to reduce sugars and simple carbs. Still leaves a wide range of foods without going Keto or Paleo. Unless you dig those diets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Adding: whatever one you can stick to so you will meet your dietary needs. Likely, your way-of-eating will need to reduce sugars and simple carbs. Still leaves a wide range of foods without going Keto or Paleo. Unless you dig those diets.

This.. unequivocally this.

Also, adding in exercise, particularly resistance training, will improve glucose utilization.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    In general good results can be had for MOST (but not all) people without, necessarily, totally changing way of eating.
    Make some changes you see yourself making long term.
    And have a quick look at the below:
    https://www.exerciseismedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EIM_Rx-for-Health_Prediabetes.pdf
    TL;dr;I don't click things:
    5-7% weight reduction, actually build up to the generally recommended levels of moderate physical activity and strength training, maybe up to a tiny touch more than the absolute minimum WHO recommendations