Nearly 2lb gain in less than 24 hours?

Options
cxeex
cxeex Posts: 121 Member
So I weighed yesterday afternoon, then this morning I was just over 1.5lb heavier. I’ve not eaten much as I am full up with cough and cold, could that be a factor?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Illness can definitely cause water retention. Don't worry, gaining 2lbs in a day is definitely not fat gain 🙂
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Something so many of us don't understand, at the beginning of our weight loss experiences, is that losing pounds/gaining pounds happens for so many reasons. We're used to all the ads telling us we can lose lose lose so many pounds per week so we assume it's going to be a steady decrease no matter what. But there are 100 different reasons for doing each. That's something I've learned here and it's been very helpful in keeping my head focused on the end prize and not the one and done mindset, keeping me going each week even if I only lost .5 # or gained 1. There's always next week or next month and if I keep mainly on the straight and narrow, it all works out. That is, if I can keep the binges down to a minimum. :/

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 pounds in one night! Not really sure what caused the water retention, but that's all it is. Just keep going and don't give up. What goes up, must come down! :)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.

It allows me to overcome the shock of gaining 3 pounds after following the plan to the letter. Because at 3500 calories per pound, there is no way I have 10500 extra calories in one day. So it became obvious to me that it was fluctuation due to intestinal tract contents and water retention. Hence, no more worries about the fluctuations. And, for me it always averages out and my loss graph looked like a steady slope down. Now almost perfectly flat when viewed at a distance. But, I have to think those 3 pound gains through every time it happens.
  • michellelawson00
    michellelawson00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find my weight varies greatly from morning to afternoon and from day to day. What I do is weigh under the same circumstances each time on the same scale. For me its with the same pajamas on, first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything. If I have a cup of coffee or anything to eat it can make the scale jump as much as two pounds. I don't understand that part but there we are lol. Maybe try weiging the same time every day with the same clothing on?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    It's magical imps in the night pouring water into your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    In case you haven't already seen it, this would be a really good, informative, maybe-reassuring read on the subject:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations