I ate perfectly last week, stayed within my macros and worked out 4 times and didn't lose any weight

Options
MrsKilby29
MrsKilby29 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
What gives? How do I know what I might need to change? I'm staying under 1200 calories and doing everything my nutritionist told me to do and exercising 4 times per week. Last week I didn't lose any weight. It's very discouraging.

Replies

• MrCKent
    MrCKent Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try measuring your waist, hips etc and compare in a few weeks. Muscle is heavier than fat, if you gain muscle it will balance out the weight loss. 1200 cals is fairly low so if you keep at it and don't indulge in secret snacks you should see results
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    We don't lose weight (on the bodyweight scale) every week. Fat loss - the thing we really want, right? - can be happening, but hiding behind water retention (or temporarily increased digestive system contents on their way to being waste).

It's 100% normal to seem to stall for a week. What matters is the trend over many weeks. For adult women not yet in menopause, the smart thing is to compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different cycles (like first day of flow, last day of flow, something like that). Some women only see a new low weight once a month (though that's not the norm) - hormonal water retention can be that weird.

What matters is the trend of weight over many weeks. The first couple weeks to a month on a new routine can be particularly weird. Even after that, the scale will go up and down day to day, but will trend downward over weeks if fat loss is happening.

Patience is usually the right answer. While waiting, this would be a good thing to read, highly recommended:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Please try to relax. High odds that you're doing just fine, and fat loss is happening. Give it a few weeks at any new routine, so you can see a sensible average result. One week is a drop in the ocean.

Best wishes!

And to add to this already great post:

Are you weighing daily or weekly? If weekly, you could have weighed les this week and just had a higher day on your weigh-in day. Precisely because of those daily fluctuations already mentioned.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself for your awesome week and the great things you are doing for your body. Try not to tie success to the scale. Just keep up the good work and the results will come--patience. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. It's really hard to press on and trust the process, but if you continue to stick to your plan, you'll get your results. I wish I had a smattering of the discipline you seem to have. I know exactly why my weight isn't budging... :smirk: