calories and macronutrients

Options
I have a hard time getting my calories to jive when meeting my macronutrient numbers. When i meet my macros, my caloric intake is too low. Being 70, i am trying to go low cholesterol and low fat. I can't take statins unfortunately. big time reactions. I do belong to a high cholesterol group that helps quite a bit, but thought since i use myfitnesspal, I might be able to find some answers. My intake is 1000 cal when i finish my macros.

Thank you for listening.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    So, you're trying to eat more, but low cholesterol and low fat?

What is your reasoning for going low fat? Fat is a necessary nutrient, and if you use plant fats (like nuts, olive oil, and avocado - for instance) you will be able to bump up your calories and still stay low cholesterol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,449 Member
    Options
    I understand that you're older and may be petite (don't know), but 1000 isn't very many calories. (As context for my saying that, I'm 66, 5'5", mid-120s pounds.)

Calories do determine body weight results, but getting enough of them is the foundation for good health, too.

Are you trying to lose weight? I don't know about you, but I'm less resilient than I was in my 20s. When losing weight, I choose to do it at a moderate rate because of that. If you're maintaining or need to lose and are losing slowly, over a period of 4-6 weeks, then your calorie intake is probably adequate as a foundation for health.

For either calories or macronutrients, it's not essential to be exactly exact. For calories, I figure +/- 50 of a goal that results in meeting my sensible weight management goals - that's spot on. Sometimes, I'll even eat more, if my weight is dropping faster than I'd like, or when I don't want it to drop. (My context: I'm trying to hold my weight steady here, not lose now, as an overall goal.)

Within a reasonable calorie level, close is also fine for macros. That's especially true if a bit over on one one day, under the next, averaging out close to my goal level over a few days to a week.

Because I don't have any health conditions that require me to limit them, I look at both protein and fats goals as minimums, don't mind going over those, within reason, as long as things stay balanced and calorie level is OK. I do have a history of high cholesterol (now resolved), so I try to get plenty of monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fats in the mix (things like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc.) and not too much saturated fat (mostly in animal-fat sources).

In my understanding, cholesterol in food is no longer tightly linked with high blood cholesterol - that seems to be outdated research - especially in those without genetically high cholesterol. It's saturated fats and body weight, exercise and fiber/veggie/fruit intake that I pay more attention to, for managing blood cholesterol levels.

At one point, my doctor was encouraging me to take statins, because my blood cholesterol and triglycerides were very high, and my blood pressure was also borderline to high. My family doesn't have a history of those things among family members of healthy body weight, which may be relevant. In my case, I was already exercising, so that wasn't a thing I could much change. I'm not saying this will be true for you, but for me, getting my body weight where it needed to be, alongside some healthy tweaks to mix of fats and veggie/fruit intake, also got my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure into a good range, and has kept them there for several years now.

Back at macros: If your calories aren't lining up with your macros, you might find that some of the foods you've logged were not accurate in the food database. If you take a look at your main line items, those should be easy to identify.

This can happen because food labels (where most of the data comes from) are allowed to round some of the values, plus nearly all foods in the MFP database were entered by regular users. Sadly, some of those people aren't meticulous about accuracy. In addition, because MFP is international, some entries come from countries where labeling laws are different (whether fiber is included in carb totals or not, for example). It's pretty common for calories not to exactly cross-calculate with macronutrients over a day's entries, for those reasons. If you pick accurate database entries, it should be fairly close, not way, way off.

One exception, which may not apply in your case: Alcohol. Alcohol is not protein, fat, or carbohydrate. It's its own thing, similar to a macronutrient in that it has calories (7 per gram), but not a nutrient.

There's no space to enter alcohol in the database, so when people add alcohol to the database, they either add it with calories but no macros (accurate), or put the calories in some other macro (usually carbs - not accurate). If you consume any alcohol - which I'm not saying is evil - that will throw off the totals. (Of course, some alcoholic beverages, even extracts like vanilla extract, can have calories from carbs, fats, or protein as well as alcohol . . . but the alcohol part is just alcohol, not any of those other macros.)

I hope some of the above may help you get things dialed in where you need them, and not stress too much about minor differences between macros and calories. Wishing you much success in managing your cholesterol levels medication-free!
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Just a quick screen-dump regarding choloesterol. https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/cholesterol-and-stroke/

Here's a summary of the main points you need to know about cholesterol.

"...
    Stroke is the leading cause of disability and the third leading cause of death in the United States and most developed countries. ...
    Although cholesterol itself does not cause stroke, a diet high in polyunsaturated fat and low in antioxidants can make LDL-cholesterol within the blood vulnerable to oxidation. Oxidized LDL can contribute to the development of stroke.
    High blood pressure is a far more important contributor to stroke than high or low cholesterol.
    Animal fat and fatty fish are associated with a lower risk of stroke. Polyunsaturated fat and carbohydrates are associated with a higher risk of stroke.
    Exercise, stress management, proper control of oral or systemic infections, and adequate nutrition can lower the risk of stroke. Important protective nutrients include magnesium, potassium, antioxidants and adequate protein."

They talk about LDL cholesterol being the dangerous one: but what you have are two types of LDL. Healthy, and broken/oxidised.

Healthy is a useful transporter of necessary fats and enzymes around the body. Broken has lost its receptors, and tumbles, heavy (not carrying any fats) and bashing into walls of blood cells. these get tears in them, and the broken cholesterol gets lodged in them, causing plaque.

The plaque narrows the blood vessels and causes strokes/heart attacks.

Now, when you get your LDL cholesterol measured, it measures both kinds of LDL cholesterol together. It does not distinguish between functioning and broken LDL (Low density lipoprotein). Note the name: it is a transporter of fat, and therefore floaty. When broken, just the transporter part remains, and it is heavy.

When you are given statins, they create extra docking stations in the liver for unused cholesterol - but only the healthy cholesterol can dock there. The broken stuff can't dock at all.

So what you do when you take statins is you increase the proportion of broken cholesterol in the blood.

The fats that are healthy for us are natural fats. Not 'healthy' fats, but natural fats. Natural beef fat, bacon fat, avocado oil, coconut oil. Things we can get our hands on without a laboratory. Our bodies have been eating those fats for 350,000 yrs or whatever; we have evolved along with those sources of calories and we are good at dealing with them.

It's the more modern foods that have become available, or in the case of fructose, hyper-available, since the industrial revolution and more recently, that will kill us all. The fat we make in our liver from fructose and its attendant fatty droplet. the fatty droplets we make from alcohol, which will slowly give us cirrosis of the liver. We don't manufacture fatty droplets from the fat we eat. We manufacture it from the fat we make from sugar.

So get your sugars checked, as well, and start investigating how the science works. I've finally got mum into a home and they've taken her off the statins and the crazy stuff she was taking for her 'heart' and her 'blood pressure' and her 'cholesterol', but it's too late; her mind is already gone and it's a one-way trip. Make sure you have a young-ish doctor who didn't get his degree in the 1960s. You need someone advising you who is trained in more recent times and has access to the newer understanding in the ever-changing landscape of medical science.
  • twinkle2356
    twinkle2356 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am high cholesterol/highldls/high vlds. Borderline diabetic. Physician wanted me to go vegetarian because my labs were so bad. I gained back 20 lbs that I'd lost so I had to make a life change. Can't take statins. I am on ezetimibe which doesn't do a lot. Decided to go pescatarian for the omegas that are so important with a lot of Mediterranean meals. It took a lot of research and finding meals which was a bit of hit and miss. Reading articles on here also helped me understand, for the most part, what my percentages needed to be for my age. I wanted my macros to jive mostly but the calories didn't follow. I am at my desired weight now at 130. My physician is going to do another lab to see how i'm doing. My food bill is something else but I'm catching on.

Thank you ladies for your help. I am still healthy and would like to go to the gym, but right now to much going on at home, so the pool is it for awhile, but not giving up.

I have discovered chia seeds, hemp seeds and on to increase my protein. I also needed to increase my fiber.

I realize that the cholesterol in food isn't what needs to be decreased. So I'm working on my fats.
  • twinkle2356
    twinkle2356 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies, it's late and i'm tired and jumping around a lot.

To reiterate on a couple of things: I have gone with a lot of changes to increasing my veggies and fruits. Trying to choose the right foods.

I have read a lot on polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats. I understand you don't want to go way over on fats even then. Yes, that is why I was wondering about the difference in numbers.

Final note, My bp and weight are at a nice level.

Again thank you for your help AnnP,