Eating back exercise cals at night?

Options
So here's my issue: sometimes I end up working out right before I sleep due to my schedule. Additionally, I often find myself barely eating to 1200 (not on purpose, it just ends up that my intake isn't as high as I think it will be) even before subtracting what I burn from exercising.

Soooo basically if I'm entering my info and working out at like 11 PM and I get a net of 1000 cals, should I eat back those 200 even though I'm about to go to sleep? Or should I just say f it and go to bed and eat them back the next day? Or...not eat them back at all? Or is 1000 still an ok range to be at?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    eat them.

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I say eat them too. An apple and a banana would take over 1200.

Or workout approximately how many calories you will burn before you do the exercise, and eat a light snack before you workout and then again when you finish.
  • StacyBee92
    Options
    Fruit would be best if you felt you needed to but your supposed to eat the majority of your food early in the day and your last meal should be your lightest so don't think that you need to have a meal before bed as it will just slow down your metabolism.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't magically stop working when you go to sleep. Despite what they used to claim, "Never eat after 6PM," or whatever that rubbish is. I think when you take a look at Body Builders you should understand. They are constantly eating. I mean wake up in the middle of the night eating just to fuel themselves. Of coarse for people like us it's not that extreem. But having a snack before you retire so you can meet your body's calorie requirements for the evening is not gonna set you back in the slightest...

P.S. Just don't over do it with fat and carbs and you should be good!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Fruit would be best if you felt you needed to but your supposed to eat the majority of your food early in the day and your last meal should be your lightest so don't think that you need to have a meal before bed as it will just slow down your metabolism.

umm...this is wrong.

insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will start eating them back, since that seems to be the way to go...I just was worried about the whole eating-right-before-sleep and how it might effect the metabolism or whatever. I know nothing about nutrition/biology so I'm always a bit hesitant to do new things when it comes to that.

Speaking of macros, though: I tend to go over on my protein recommendation and low on my carbs (which is weird because I totally thought it would be flipped). This isn't even a product of me TRYING to eat more protein and less carbs...that's just how I eat I guess (fwiw, my protein usually comes from eggs, chicken, and tofu/beans). Should I start trying to eat less protein, or is it ok as long as I'm not going overboard? I heard excess protein gets converted to fat...is this a myth or is that true?
  • Puckermann
    Options
    eat them.

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

I second this
  • HanneK
    HanneK Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will start eating them back, since that seems to be the way to go...I just was worried about the whole eating-right-before-sleep and how it might effect the metabolism or whatever. I know nothing about nutrition/biology so I'm always a bit hesitant to do new things when it comes to that.

Speaking of macros, though: I tend to go over on my protein recommendation and low on my carbs (which is weird because I totally thought it would be flipped). This isn't even a product of me TRYING to eat more protein and less carbs...that's just how I eat I guess (fwiw, my protein usually comes from eggs, chicken, and tofu/beans). Should I start trying to eat less protein, or is it ok as long as I'm not going overboard? I heard excess protein gets converted to fat...is this a myth or is that true?

It's carbs that transformes to fat. Protein is just good for you, after workouts you need proteins to rebuild your body. I alwasy go over my protein recommendation, and I can't say I feel a thing different. Protein is the bodys buildingblocks :) Remember we at meateaters for natures side.
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's carbs that transformes to fat. Protein is just good for you, after workouts you need proteins to rebuild your body. I alwasy go over my protein recommendation, and I can't say I feel a thing different. Protein is the bodys buildingblocks :) Remember we at meateaters for natures side.
    Thanks for replying!! That's good to hear because somehow I ALWAYS go over my protein goal...and that's not even considering the protein shakes I used to drink after working out. For example, today I ate ~1200 calories...my recommended protein intake is 45g and I had 67g! That's just from a greek yogurt + fruit breakfast, stir fry+brown rice lunch, and grilled chicken&veggie tacos dinner. Nothing particularly protein-heavy, IMO.
  • Puckermann
    Options

Carbs eaten at night does not turn to fat unless you have exceeded your daily calories, then even protein and fat will go to your fat stores.

Energy unused will be stored.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I read on Isatori.com that you should be eating .8 to 1 gram X LBM. Similar also in Mr. Olympia's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. So.... say you are supposed to weigh 120lbs. You should be eating at least 96g to 120g of protein daily. Let me just say that this was for people who are following a fitness program (working out six days a week, weights 3 days and cardio/abs 3 days.)
  • narenn
    Options
    Usually an hour or so before I sleep (right after working out) I either have a dry bowl of cereal or some cheese and crackers. Works well for me.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

umm...this is wrong.

insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg

farking bam.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    MFP's recommended intake is low on protein so don't worry about going over. I personally aim for 1g/lb of BW minimum. If you have kidney issues then you may want to keep it a bit lower but otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with puckermann. Excess cals leads to gaining weight not a specific macronutrient. (TEF of protein is higher though)