red grapes

Options
I love to eat red grapes as a snack, but I didn't know until I tracked them today that they are 100 cals for 1 cup. Why are they so much? Any ideas?

Replies

• Darkness2120
    Options
    Carb content, mainly fructose. 1g of carbs = 4 cal. Some fruits are higher in carb content than others.
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love red grapes too...I like to portion them out into baggies and them freeze them...they're like mini popsicles:)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do you think 100 calories is a lot?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love to eat red grapes as a snack, but I didn't know until I tracked them today that they are 100 cals for 1 cup. Why are they so much? Any ideas?

I think one of the real eye openers I had when I started here was how many calories I was eating in my go-to 'healthy snacks" Grapes was one of those. I still eat grapes, but now I count out a serving and leave the rest for later (or for the DH or kids to consume)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have 100 calories of grapes than 100 calories of overly processed diet food.
  • onwalker
    Options
    Freeze them... tastes just as nice.... but take longer to eat
  • Puckermann
    Options
    Carb content, mainly fructose. 1g of carbs = 4 cal. Some fruits are higher in carb content than others.

This...
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do you think 100 calories is a lot?

A cup of berries (rasp, straw, blue) generally run about 45 calories, so yeah - it is a lot if you were expecting grapes to be the same.

Grapes are just sugar and water with very little actual nutrition. If you're gonna nosh on frozen fruit, freeze blueberries instead - fewer calories, more antioxidants and nutrition.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love to chop up about 10 red grapes and put in chicken or tuna for salad. Gives the salad a better taste and I don't have that many calories in it.
  • geri1955
    Options
    Faye, another good taste in chicken salad is craisins!! Absolutely satisfying!!! And yes frozen grapes are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100 calories really isnt that bad for a snack!!! :wink:
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love frozen blueberries topped with skim milk and a packet of splenda. tastes like blueberry ice cream!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I went online and found the following information that gives the amount per 1 grape. That's how I track mine. If you search the database, you can find this info. I found it in there after I checked online 1st. I log the calories per grape. Hope this helps.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 grape, seedless (5g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 3 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0g0%
    Saturated Fat 0g0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg0%
    Sodium 0.1mg0%
    Potassium 9.6mg0%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.9g0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g0%
    Sugars 0.8g2%
    Protein 0g0%

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 1%

Calcium 0% • Iron 0%
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My husband and I LOVE red grapes and there is always some in the fridge ready to pluck and pop in our mouth when we open the door to have a "look".

Many times when I'm checking out at the supermarket, the checker will comment on how much I'm spending on grapes just so I"ll know she didn't make an error.

I tell her "I KNOW how much I'm spending on grapes but look at what's NOT in my cart~ not one junk food item!! So what others are spending on junk foods, etc., I'm spending on grapes! That usually gets them thinking.

As for the calories, etc~ at the moment, I'll choose to get my snack calories from grapes rather than pure garbage!!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh my grapes out in grams.....love them, and also blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc and a wide variety of fruits.....I don't think I've ever even eaten a whole cup of grapes at one time yet.......I love all of the natural desserts available.....a little of a lot of different choices is very enjoyable...I'm a believer in "savor the flavor", There are so many wonderful fruits available, so why not enjoy a wide variety.....a little dab will do ya!!!!

Take care everyone ,
    and enjoy
    Shari
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have 100 calories of grapes than 100 calories of overly processed diet food.

I definitely agree with this! I think that eating fruit for your snacks is much better for you than eating something processed, even if the processed food has the same number of calories or a few less calories.
  • anneke123456
    Options
    yeah I rather the grapes at that than anything else. I have some in fridge to. remember there's stuff in fruit you need also, eat away at them. processed food dont have the vits .