craving the gym but it is hard to eat that much?

Options
okay so pretty much, it is now 5:30pm and as I walk to work and back I have already burned 289 calories, my NET is at only 500 something... i am trying to eat all my exercise cals back as it seems to actually work for me.... but i feel like i can not eat that much food? i still have 800 calories for dinner... and i love the gym it makes me so happy i really wanna go... but...
how can i eat that much? HELP?!

Replies

• Felesina1
    Options
    high cal snacks and foods like peanut butter, homemade meals with higher cal meats like sausage.... just a suggestion.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of favourite snacks to help with that one - pancakes made with milled hemp protein powder, an egg and a banana are handy for protein, and if you're after dense calories, I often grab a corn thin and spread it with almond butter and a little honey.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    go, enjoy. exercise you enjoy is absolutely the best thing :)

for one or two days, the missing calories won't make any difference (unless you go overboard but i hope at that point you will start feeling hungry:) but if you are going to keep on with the same activity rate longer term then looking at your diet as a whole to add more cals at each snack is easier than trying to eat a 1000cal but still health meal.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yeah the problem is that I have just started cutting out most processed foods, so am finding it hard to make my net total with that as nearly everything I'm eating has so little calories.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've got a great protein shake recipe you might want to try:

Generic - Darigold Half N' Half, 4 tb
    Generic - 100% Whey Protein - Vanilla - by Muscle Milk, 1 rounded scoop (34g)
    Jif - Creamy Peanut Butter , 2 tablespoons (3g)
    Da Vinci Gourmet Syrups - Sugar Free - Butter Rum Syrup, 2 Tbsp (1 fl oz)
    Macadamia Nut Honey - Honey, 1 tbsp
    Water - Bottle, 4 oz

Calories: 470
    Carbs: 28
    Fat: 24
    Protein: 36

It's got a great mix of all three types of energy (carbs, fat & protein), and it tastes like a Butterfinger Blizzard. Put it in a blender with some ice cubes and voila! Oh, and the honey is 17g of those carbs so swapping that for Splenda is okay (for those trying to cut calories). Personally I prefer the honey as nature's official sweetener, and I think it tastes better.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Why not have some cheese with your meal, or some pasta with a ragu sauce (tomatoe-based with some minced beef/pork/turkey and then be generous with mushrooms, celery, onion, peppers and herbs).

Have a banana with some peanut butter as a dessert.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Banana's, Almonds, put avocado on your sandwiches. Indulge in a baked potato with sour creme. Hmmmm But really almonds are a great snack with healthy fats. One of my biggest snacks is almonds and a banana. Also dont know if you like dried fruit but that could be a good snack while still eating clean. dried apples are really yummy and I eat a serving of dried plums every morning. Both that and the almonds helps me get in all my fiber for the day. I dont know if you like peanut butter and banana sandwiches. But one of my favorite lunch/snack is whole wheat bread toasted, spread on peanut butter (crunchy) then add slices of banana, drizzle with honey and mush it all together really good then nuck it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. It is like HEAVEN!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    If only bananas weren't ten dollars a kilo :(
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think planning ahead is the key. Make sure you get more healthy calories earlier in the day, then you aren't left with so much at the end, even if you do go to the gym.

And add in some nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, cheese (though I don't know if that is considered "clean"), dried fruit, steak, rice (if you eat it) to your meals.

Incidentally, for me, I've found that eating more earlier in the day seems to mean that I am less hungry and less tempted by junky food later in the day. I'm not quite sure of the reason for this but it seems to be the case, so I'm going with a bigger breakfast these days. I don't know if this works for other people too, but for me it's a good thing!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    where do you live? here they are like 50 cents a lb. I dont know how many lbs are in a kilo but that sounds expensive
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    She's in Australia and banans are seriously expensive for us down under!
    I would love to find bananas at $10/kilo (probably about US$5 a pound) - they have been as high as $15 - $17 here, thanks to lots of damage from severe weather events earlier in the year.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Cashews, Almonds, Peanuts and just about every other nut. These nuts have great nutrition and pack a 160 cal per ounce. About a womans handfull. If I don't eat my expected cals, I will always finish off with some cashews. Lightly salted of course.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I would love to find bananas at $10/kilo (probably about US$5 a pound) - they have been as high as $15 - $17 here, thanks to lots of damage from severe weather events earlier in the year.

Yup! They only just reduced from $17 here not too long ago.

With a cyclone beginning of this year, most of the banana growing areas in australia were completely wiped out so we either have to get them imported or they are just hard to get.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    *cracks out the peanut butter*

@trisharrell - someone else calls it NUKING! Yay! I am the only one I know of!

@ foreigners "Aussies don't like to talk about banana prices. This is the second time in 6 years a cyclone has wiped out 80% of Australias banana crop and bananas have gone up to $15 a kilo. Did you know it takes a whole year for a banana tree to grow back to fruiting stage? Also, Australia has very strict quarantine laws which means we can't import them (we can't even move them around the country!)"

So, yeah. Hand me the peanut butter

*whimpers quietly as she imagines a banana*
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry about making the numbers add up. If you are not hungry, are eating plenty of nutritious food, enjoying exercising and losing weight, I would just go with the flow a you may have fallen into a nice groove where you don't have to force yourself to lose weight any more, it's happening spontaneously.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It seems totally counter productive to be forcing yourself to eat loads of the high fat, high calorie foods being suggested on this thread - why would you want to put that in you body if you don't need to?!

If you feel healthy, energised and not hungry then just go to the gym. Your body is obviously fine and you'll be getting fit instead of sitting around eating or doing nothing.

Listen to your brain and body and eat what you need to when you need to. You might find that, after the gym, you are starving!
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It seems totally counter productive to be forcing yourself to eat loads of the high fat, high calorie foods being suggested on this thread - why would you want to put that in you body if you don't need to?!

If you feel healthy, energised and not hungry then just go to the gym. Your body is obviously fine and you'll be getting fit instead of sitting around eating or doing nothing.

Listen to your brain and body and eat what you need to when you need to. You might find that, after the gym, you are starving!

I like your way of thinking! I'm struggling to eat those calories back. I eat until I'm full and I sometimes wonder if making myself eat more when I don't want to, is just going to put me back into the same position that got me here.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

With a cyclone beginning of this year, most of the banana growing areas in australia were completely wiped out so we either have to get them imported or they are just hard to get.

WOW... even for imported bananas that does seem ridiculously expensive. The UK imports all of its bananas and I pay less than 70p/kilo (that would be AUD$1/kilo)... of course you can spend more for organic or Canarian, but nowhere near as much as £7 (AUD$10)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

WOW... even for imported bananas that does seem ridiculously expensive. The UK imports all of its bananas and I pay less than 70p/kilo (that would be AUD$1/kilo)... of course you can spend more for organic or Canarian, but nowhere near as much as £7 (AUD$10)

Whoops, sorry I forgot we got new laws. We are not allowed to import any more since we got a new PM.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging walking exercise. I also find even doing an hour of gym-type activity doesn't burn more than about 400 cals, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!