UK pals - Bread advice

Options
13»

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    WarBurtons thins are awesome. 2 slices for 100 cals. Otherwise the danish breads are very good, usually 50 -70 cals per slice.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    warburtons do a sandwich thin roll.100 calories I think.
    That was going to be my suggestion. I'm trying to stay away from bread completely. But I might buy some of these if they decide to do a granary version.
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    I like Hovis Nimble, 48 calories a slice. I hear the Weight Watchers bread is good as well but I haven't tried it myself.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's not very low calorie so I don't have too much of it but Burgen Soya and Linseed bread is lovely and nutricious - amazing for sandwiches :) 112 cals a slice tho.

I'm doing low carb at the moment, but when I do have bread this is my first choice. I always work on the basis of 'does this have any nutrients in?'. I'd rather have one slice of something really nutritious than two slices of low cal bread with nothing to offer my body. Instead of using it as a sandwich I use it as a side to go with a salad. It's soooo tasty and really fills you up.
  • lexileven
    Options
    I like the Burgen soya and linseed too, and also the Food Doctor pittas - whilst not the most low calorie, the wholegrain + seeds keeps me fuller for longer so I'm less tempted to snack!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I like the Burgen soya and linseed too, and also the Food Doctor pittas - whilst not the most low calorie, the wholegrain + seeds keeps me fuller for longer so I'm less tempted to snack!

Oh yeah, the food doctor pitas are lovely - much much nicer than the ordinary supermarket ones. Not quite as nice as the ones I make myself. :-)
  • jellyjels
    jellyjels Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hovis - Original Wheatgerm Bread!
    soo good!

yes. i swear by this. 52 cals per slice.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    An alternative is crispbreads or ryvitas, you an have more of them & they have a good crunch texture. I find 4 ryvita crispbread fill me up more than 2 slices of bread.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I tend to have cripsbreads for my lunch with low fat cheese spread such as dairylea light. Have gone off bread a bit, usually have some weight watchers malted in the freezer so if I want some toast its on hand. With winter coming up I be having soup either homemade or low calorie without the bread. I also have pitta or weight watchers have started doing tortilla wraps (106 calories for one) which is high but one of those with chicken, ham, tuna and salad can be quite filling.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I have pretty much given up eating bread.
  • wedjul05
    Options
    I used to eat alot of bread, albeit it brown bread, wholegrain bread etc, never white bread. But I've pretty much stopped eating it.

I used to have sandwiches for lunch alot but now I eat salads or make my own food to bring to work like stews etc. If I do crave some bread, when I head home, I have a slice with butter/honey or marmalade and it totally fills me. At the minute at home, I have the Burgens soya and linseed loaf. It is very filling and totally hits the spot.

I was getting very bloated/constipated all the time but now that I have stopped eating bread/being more healthy, I haven't been either in months.

Try sub'ing the bread for other things and then maybe try cutting it out altogether as sooo many cals can be consumed with just bread and nothing else.
  • frankie2637
    frankie2637 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nimble do a lower calorie bread but I also like Hovis Wholemeal, the smaller 400g loaf which is 57 calories a slice.