new to MFP and Fighting to Save my Life!

Options
2»

Replies

• healthychoices5
    Options
    Best of luck to you! Have you seen the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? I rented it on Netflix and it was really good...rather inspiring actually.

You can do this and we're here to help!
  • frankie2637
    frankie2637 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck. Loads of support and motivation on here. I have been diagnosed with an underactive thryoid and I was suffering with joint pain, particually in my hips. Taking 1000mg Cod liver oil capsules a day has really helped my joints, maybe it could help you? I'm no doctor but its just a thought. Sending you a friend request :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have rare neurological condition.. which you probably never heard of but basically I have two muscle disorders together. the Ataxia part affects my balance, co-ordination of all skeletal muscles (arms and legs) and speech. The dystonia element means my muscles fluctuate from floppy to rigid and anywhere inbetween and this causes involuntary movements as tone changes.

I had under active thyroid from birth but never had weight issues under my childrens doctor (cant remember how to spell the long P word!) until I was 16 and had to change to adult doctor he promptly lowered my dose and I went deaf shortly after.

The adult doctors have always messed with dose as they felt the dose the other doctor had me on was too high as he had me on high so it didn't stunt my growth as I was on thyroxine since 23 months old.

Anyway consequently my weight has always been higher when levels were low.. my highest has been 16 stone in 2002. As my condition started 2003.. i was in wheelchair by 2005 but started losing weight... i didnt really know about calories then its only recently I started calorie counting.

This came about after I had to be lifted up some steps in manual chair and it took 3 men I was so embarrased I've never been back.. and won't go anywhere I might have to be lifted until I am light again! When I was weighed on special scales for wheelchair users (they subtract weight of chair from total weight to get mine) they got 12st 7 (June).. I've been trying to lose 3 stone since.

I'd like to get back to about 9 and half which I was at my healthiest whilst at uni but anywhere between 9 and half and 10 would be good as for my height (5ft 3 and half) I should be between 8 and a half and 10 and a half stone. (119-147lbs).. wii fit says I should be 9st 3 but it hasn't seen the size of my boobs... lol!

So I've set 10st (140lbs) as my first big goal.. I don't think I'll get there for xmas so my mini goal is to lose another few inches off waist and stomach and be able to get into my favourite smart suit trousers (size 16) for xmas day when I go to brothers house for the day.

I do need to be lighter though for when people need to lift me so getting the numbers on scales down too is very important as it means difference between having to be hoisted out of bed like a beached whale.. in future or someone easily been able to stand me up and turn me around to transfer between chairs etc if I'm much lighter.