Keto

Options
Ok I am seeing a lot of people doing this Keto Diet. I am 41 years and having a hard losing the weight. First what is Keto? Does it work? Just curious because the fats that are included. Any input would be good?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,381 Member
    Options
    Burandt80 wrote: »
    Ok I am seeing a lot of people doing this Keto Diet. I am 41 years and having a hard losing the weight. First what is Keto? Does it work? Just curious because the fats that are included. Any input would be good?

In what ways are you having trouble losing weight? Knowing that would help us give you better advice.

Keto is very low carb, and obviously that implies higher amounts of something non-carb, usually higher fat, but can include higher protein.

Eating more fats is not a big deal, because as others have said, it's the calories that matter in a direct way for weight loss. Some people have lower appetite with high fat (they find it filling), so keto helps them stick with a calorie goal (maybe without even calorie counting). Some people find their energy tanks on low carb, or find high-volume foods filling so that calorie-dense fat isn't helpful for satiety for them. Those latter people probably won't do well with keto.

It's possible to get basic adequate levels of fruit and vegetables on a keto diet, but I wouldn't be able to eat as many (of as great a variety) as makes me happy, and keep my carb intake at keto levels. (I target 10+ 80-gram servings of varied, colorful veggies/fruits daily, which is kind of a lot - it keeps me full, well-nourished, happy . . . but it wouldn't do that for everyone.)

If you're wondering, maybe try it, see if it helps you? It's not like it's a "once and forever" decision. Be aware that there are some possible issues with electrolytes, that might result in some early issues ("keto flu") but it can often be mitigated by getting more electrolytes.

Personally, I did this, while calorie counting, to lose weight (and maintain weight for 6+ years since), starting at age 59 (now 66):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't work for everyone, either, because personalization of tactics is key to success, IMO. Beware of people who tell you one single way of eating is ideal for absolutely everyone.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the goal of the keto diet is to eat low enough carbs that your body goes into ketosis, and therefore burns fat stores immediately rather than using glucose first. It’s supposed to be a quicker, more efficient way to lose fat. I have never used this approach myself, so apologies if that is incorrect.

Personally, I would not be able to handle a diet that encourages such a high fat intake. My body would revolt. But, there are plenty of people who love keto.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Every diet is a different approach as we are all different. Ultimately though you are looking for caloric deficit over time to lose weight.
  • CDWTurnbow
    CDWTurnbow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keto is low carbs protein high Good fats. It has three phases and you see fast results. It is a lifestyle change if you return to eating like you were you will gain your weight back. But phase three Keto will maintain your weight and is very food friendly. I have loved it and it fits my lifestyle. I’m sedentary and don’t count calories only watching my carbs. Good luck!
  • soldodunja2910
    soldodunja2910 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I heard a lot of the weight loss on the keto diet is water weight. I don’t think it matters what kind of diet, what matters is that you are eating less. I have lost weight eating high fat high carb on calorie defecit. Diets just encourage a calorie defecit by eliminating certain foods.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I heard a lot of the weight loss on the keto diet is water weight. I don’t think it matters what kind of diet, what matters is that you are eating less. I have lost weight eating high fat high carb on calorie defecit. Diets just encourage a calorie defecit by eliminating certain foods.

It is true that much of the initial weight loss on low carb diets is from water loss, thus carb's -hydrate suffix. Healthline makes this statement:
    "Actually, for every gram of carbohydrate you consume and your body keeps to use as energy, your body hoards 3 to 4 grams of water to help store the energy (glycogen)."

Reduce the carbs and you reduce 3 or 4 times the same weight in water. Consume extra carbs that get stored and put on 3 or 4 times as much weight as the extra carbs stored. I think of it as cheat a little and gain a lot.

The biggest benefit from Keto for me (male, 65, and down 12.5% of total body weight in less than 3 months) is that it has left me with almost no food yearnings. I still can get hungry, but is nothing like the kind of hunger I use to experience from eating carbs. It is a struggle for me most days to eat enough of the right mix of calories, fiber and protein. If I don't keep moving during the day, my metabolism does slow to a crawl. If I don't consume enough of the right kind of calories (like extra cheese please and more meat) I loose lean muscle, even with my abundant stores of fat.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic. I was in a keto program through my insurance for a year. My glucose was great but it was hard for me to stick to. I like sweet things, like fruits. I went off around the holidays and never got back to it. It was very low carb fats to satiate, moderate protein. I did not lose much weight, either and i started gaining when I stopped. If you have any health condition I would ask your dr about it. My husband eats low glycemic (non starchy veggies) but not keto. He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he is able to control it through diet alone. I try to eat like him but I don’t have his discipline. There are low carb and keto groups if you search.
  • ghinajaber1322
    ghinajaber1322 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my keto diet on January 1, 2022. As at today, I lost 44 pounds. If you decided to go with Keto add yo your diet the potassium and magnesium supplements.