Challenge to hit calorie goals

Options
Anyone else find it hard to get in the calories, protein and carbs suggested by the app? I'm trying to lean down a bit for better running/cycling performance but i seem to need to eat more than i typically would to achieve that?

Male, 35, have a 2070 goal per day, been tracking for 30 days so far but finding it hard to hit the goal once i factor in training (an hour or so 5 days a week which knocks out 700 or so daily)

I'm also always way off carbs as i have a relatively simple diet. Any tips to bolt on quality foods and meals to help bump these rookie numbers up would be appreciated

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Ok, a few comments: The macros are just standard macros. Every person is different and experiences satiety and happiness with different macros. You can change them. You can also completely ignore them. It is important though to eat enough fats and protein.

Do I understand you correctly that you eat 2070 calories per day, and then exercise for 700 on top? Bad news is: that's similar to only eating 1370 calories per day, and that's far too little for any man, resulting in muscle loss, poor performance, hair loss, and possibly binging. Good news is: unless you're an elite athlete it's unlikely that you can create a 700 calorie exercise in one hour. Whatever device you're using is probably totally wrong. But yeah, if you exercise then you're supposed to eat at least a part of those calories back to prevent all of this above. If you just want to lean out a bit then it will be slow.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If it feels like you're eating more than previously, but you're trying to lose some weight, my first thought is: Are you weighing your food or using measuring cups or just eyeballing portions? Have you also completely overhauled your diet from mostly "junk" to nothing but "clean" foods?

Also, how are you estimating your calorie expenditures? Those can be tricky...

Also, what has happened to your weight in the 30 days that you've been tracking? Has it done what the app suggested it should? Have you lost more or less weight than expected? You might find it easier to calculate a goal from your own personalized numbers! If you're losing as expected, then carry on as you have been. If you've lost extra (without major changes to your way of eating or exercising) then you should eat more. If you haven't lost what you've expected, eat a little less. For every 1/2 lb per week you'd like to adjust your rate of loss, you would adjust your calorie goal by 250 calories per day.
  • James_Bernardo86
    James_Bernardo86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Ok, a few comments: The macros are just standard macros. Every person is different and experiences satiety and happiness with different macros. You can change them. You can also completely ignore them. It is important though to eat enough fats and protein.

Do I understand you correctly that you eat 2070 calories per day, and then exercise for 700 on top? Bad news is: that's similar to only eating 1370 calories per day, and that's far too little for any man, resulting in muscle loss, poor performance, hair loss, and possibly binging. Good news is: unless you're an elite athlete it's unlikely that you can create a 700 calorie exercise in one hour. Whatever device you're using is probably totally wrong. But yeah, if you exercise then you're supposed to eat at least a part of those calories back to prevent all of this above. If you just want to lean out a bit then it will be slow.

Thanks ab75, i think the app calculates your daily goal taking into account the exercise you do so all good there. 700 is pretty easy to do in around an hour with a hard ride or trail run with a lot of climbing, which is what i do currently. I guess its just about trying to re-up calories with more calorie dense, nutritious foods.
  • James_Bernardo86
    Options
    If it feels like you're eating more than previously, but you're trying to lose some weight, my first thought is: Are you weighing your food or using measuring cups or just eyeballing portions? Have you also completely overhauled your diet from mostly "junk" to nothing but "clean" foods?

Also, how are you estimating your calorie expenditures? Those can be tricky...

Also, what has happened to your weight in the 30 days that you've been tracking? Has it done what the app suggested it should? Have you lost more or less weight than expected? You might find it easier to calculate a goal from your own personalized numbers! If you're losing as expected, then carry on as you have been. If you've lost extra (without major changes to your way of eating or exercising) then you should eat more. If you haven't lost what you've expected, eat a little less. For every 1/2 lb per week you'd like to adjust your rate of loss, you would adjust your calorie goal by 250 calories per day.

Thanks for your reply AutumnBlade75, I'm generally a healthy eater of non-processed foods, home cooked dinner every night, just the odd bit of dark chocolate after dinner and a couple of beers a week. I lost 1kg from 72.1 to 71.1 and actually went up in weight halfway through although the app was pitching me at 69kg by now. I think the measurements could probably be stronger but its hard with a busy lifestyle to record things 100%, eyeballing a lot of it so i guess that's where the differences are coming - gotta dial that in.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options

Thanks ab75, i think the app calculates your daily goal taking into account the exercise you do so all good there. 700 is pretty easy to do in around an hour with a hard ride or trail run with a lot of climbing, which is what i do currently. I guess its just about trying to re-up calories with more calorie dense, nutritious foods.

The app only takes into account your selected activity level, not any exercise (unless you chose your activity level to include your exercise, but that's not how MFP is intended to be used). The exercise you specify in the guided setup doesn't influence your calorie goal (a common misconception). You are supposed to log your exercise in your diary and then eat those extra calories.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Adjusting fat intake is a great way to increase caloric count. Nuts, fatty meats, full fat yogurt. Also incorporating dense carb- potatoes, breads, very easy.
  • James_Bernardo86
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

The app only takes into account your selected activity level, not any exercise (unless you chose your activity level to include your exercise, but that's not how MFP is intended to be used). The exercise you specify in the guided setup doesn't influence your calorie goal (a common misconception). You are supposed to log your exercise in your diary and then eat those extra calories.

Im inputting it via the Add Exercise - Cardio option and inputting the bespoke data each time from my Strava/Garmin Connect profile - is that not the way to do it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Im inputting it via the Add Exercise - Cardio option and inputting the bespoke data each time from my Strava/Garmin Connect profile - is that not the way to do it?

Yes that's right.

What you previously said - "i think the app calculates your daily goal taking into account the exercise you do so all good there" was incorrect.

There is no account taken of your exercise on MyFitnessPal until you actually do it and log it. Which is why when you select an activity setting there is no mention of exercise at all, just daily routine.
    That's unlike other apps which ask you to estimate your average exercise up front and lump activity and purposeful exercise into one estimate to give you a same every day goal.

I'm a cyclist too and with a highly variable exercise burn the MyFitnessPal method works well for me.

BTW - unless you have a power meter linked to your Garmin you are probably getting a gross calorie estimate rather than a net calorie estimate (net = just the extra burned because you are exercising in that time period excluding what you would have burned anyway just being alive and doing your usual routine).
    e.g. An hour cycling at 167 watts would give me a net burn of 601cals but my gross cals would be c. 700cals.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options

The principle is correct yes. I thought you were talking about the base calorie goal you get from MFP when you said daily goal, not the adjusted one after exercise.

2 small comments
    - is there a reason you're not simply syncing Garmin with MFP? Seems easier than inputting it manually. (presuming you're using a fitness tracker that you wear all-day)
    - your Garmin/strava number is gross calories, not net. This issue is moot if Garmin Connect is synced with MFP, but if you are adding the calories manually, you should subtract your BMR calories for the duration of the exercise, or you're double-counting those BMR calories.