Having problems with exercising

Options
Hi,
I have a big problem with exercising. I'm 20 years old and I weigh 101 lbs (i'm 5ft4). I try to eat healthy as much as possible and try to have high protein meals (especially for breakfast). But my problem is that I don't exercise. I mean, I can't. I get tired in like 5 mins and I give up.
I guess it's because I'm not used to it or something? I have never exercised in my life before - I'm from Turkey and mostly, people here don't really exercise.
Also, I have very mild rosacea (it's not even real rosacea but I have a tendency and my dermatologist told me to watch out because if I don't, I can develop rosacea in time) so I should avoid any occasion that I get red, like sauna, being in the sun or in cold too long. And, I get really red when I try to exercise too. I am thinking maybe I should try yoga or something so that I exercise but I don't get red. Anyone has other ideas I can exercise without getting (that) red?

Replies

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Pilates for beginners might be a good thing to try.
  • Blinx99
    Blinx99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hi nice post

why dodnt u try gentle exercises to start with, say running on the spot for 10-15 minutes then breaking for a few minutes and restarting- that way you will be gradually warming your muscles to endure more. This is good to start your programme - with this do some light warming excercises, like stretching ur muscles, arms and legs.
    this will increase ur heart rate gradually and improve your breathing techniques to give u strength

hope it helps x
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yoga sounds like a good idea for you. Also try walking.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor about the most appropriate exercise for you. We all get "red" during a good workout. Try moderate exercise like walking at a brisk pace.
  • Riknos
    Options
    Can you not do a lot of walking? Or even further, biking? I walk everywhere when I can, I walk to work and back, I walk to town to visit friends, to go shopping etc. A brisk walk will burn off calories without putting strain on joints or leaving out of breath. Using a bike to go further distances can also help improve your heart rate, and you will be able to control the pace based on how tired out you get.

Cardiovascular training takes time to build up tolerances. Once I thought I was going to die when I ran 1 mile, years later I was doing 6 miles a day as a warm up before hitting the weights in the gym, years later I was back to the 1 mile = death thing again. It's just practice and it needs to build up over time.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are slightly underweight. So getting tired after 5 minutes could have something to do with low blood sugars or underdeveloped muscles or something.

Take it very slowly - walking and swimming are good, non tiring exercises.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would imagine you are getting tired because you are underweight and don't have a lot of muscle to power you. Start off with yoga and see how you find that. And walk as much as you can.
  • Liliacea
    Liliacea Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I would feel so weird when I read other peoples workout routines, I'd be like "how can they do that?" So, now I see that it might have something to do with my muscles or something - it's not only that I'm not used to it. Though I have always been like that, like I always weighed around 101 - 103 lbs (106 lbs was my highest weight) Also, now that I think about it, I don't really need (at least for now) to do those intense workouts that I cannot do - because I'm not trying to lose so much weight. Losing
    2 - 3 lbs would be enough. If walking counts as an exercise, great, cause I love walking! And I don't get tired at all, like I can walk for miles without getting tired. Cause living in Istanbul, walking is the best option for transportation so I'm used to it.
    Anyway, thanks again for the ideas!