17 day diet

Options
Good morning MFP! Has anyone tried the 17 day diet plan? It's a four phase diet plan that a co-worker did at work and it has been such a success for her! She glows with health and hasn't yo-yoed. Has anyone else tried it? What were your experiences? My daughter and I started it today together and we're excited but would like some feed back!

Replies

• AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've not really read about it... what exactly is it? how much weight did your co-worker lose while doing it?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    any quick fix diet plan has to be followed up correctly or else you will gain the weight back. Find out what your co-worker began doing AFTER the quick fix diet.

oh, and no, I have not heard about this quick fix diet....but as with any quick fix diet, think about what you are going to do afterwards.
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I myself have not tried it however my father in law has. He was obese for many years and lost a good 100 lbs doing WW and walking and then hit a plateau for many months. The 17 day diet was suggested to him and he followed it exactly and lost another 60 lbs! He looks amazing and feels better at 61 than he did at 31!
  • AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I myself have not tried it however my father in law has. He was obese for many years and lost a good 100 lbs doing WW and walking and then hit a plateau for many months. The 17 day diet was suggested to him and he followed it exactly and lost another 60 lbs! He looks amazing and feels better at 61 than he did at 31!

thats awsome congrats to him!
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried it and had a hard time with the first phase which calls for cutting carbs completely. Naturally you'll have some carbs in your diet through meats, veggies, etc, but no breads, cereals or things of that nature. I love carbs so I was miserable! Not to mention tired since carbs provide you with energy. Its actually recommended you not do strenuous exercise, particularly on that phase which I had no trouble with because I lacked the energy to do it! But my sister and a couple of friends tried it with good results. Just wasn't for me but it might be for you =)
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    I started it back in April and did very well with it. I lost about 15 lbs in 2 months. After that I had some changes in my medicines that actually made me gain weight and I fell off the wagon for a while. Right now I am incorporating the basic ideas of the 17 day diet but not following it strictly. As long as you look at it as a lifestyle change you should do well. I have been able to straighten out my medicine issues and have since lost about another 15 lbs.

It's worth trying, especially if you can see yourself making the lifestyle change.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

This is awesome news, but I'm assuming he did not lose 60 pounds in 17 days. For the benefit of those considering the 17 day diet, could you explain what your grandfather did AFTER the 17 day diet.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I have not heard of it. But what I would be worried about is that all you are losing is muscle mass. Diets in general just don't work. Especially "fad" diets. The only thing that really does work, is a lifestyle change. Eat right and exercise. You didn't gain weight in 17 days, can't expect to lose it in 17 days either. Just my opinion.
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Its's not just 17 days it has different cycles that consist of 17 days each.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    good diet....DH is doing it and lost 30 lbs and he looks great. I'm starting it today cause I have 23 lbs to lose. Our friends in PA started when DH did and they both have lost 30 lbs since jan the 1st.
  • cj1234cj23
    cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The 17 day diet is actually four phases of 17 days, so therefore it runs for 68 days. The first phase is a cleansing phase and runs for 17 days. You will eat yogurts, meats, veggies and fruits. The 2nd phase is also 17 days. Every other day you follow the first phase, and every other day you are adding in two carbs a day (such as brown rice, sweet potatoe, etc.). The third phase is adding carbs every day, and the fourth phase (the maintenance phase) is where you have the weekends off (fri, sat, sun) and follow a plan on mon-thurs that resembles the second or third phase while monitoring your weight so as not to gain it back. It's designed by a practicing doctor. The friend of mine that lost weight loved it, was able to enjoy food and cooking, and is not going hungry. I believe the hardest part is the first 17 days, from what she said. After that, she was happy. That first phase is for cleansing and acceleration of diet loss.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/17-day-diet-b487463

found this site, it explains the diet system very well.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think you need to learn what is good for you and what is not. Then you won't have to ever diet again. Quick diets don't seem to have good results for the long term unless you stay on it forever.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm also a bit wary of diet fads like this but it sounds like it might work. Please make sure you read and understand all related materials first. Sounds like that's what you're doing but...things like this always make me think of Atkins and how back when it was all the rage 10 or so years ago, several people would say they were following the plan but were just doing it willy nilly with a little info from their friends and wondered why it didn't work.
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    the 17 day diet thread on here is really supportive. You should check them out. Good luck!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    NOT a quick fix diet. Somebody thinks its another fad. It's not. It works. I've been on it and been very successful with it. It actually did train me to eat differently because of the results from the different phases.

It works great. For me, the secret was getting off starches (not carbs -- starches, there actually is a difference!)
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I started it in April and have lost since then 65 pounds and I love it its the best diet I have ever been on. :smile:
  • lenwie
    Options
    NOT a quick fix diet. Somebody thinks its another fad. It's not. It works. I've been on it and been very successful with it. It actually did train me to eat differently because of the results from the different phases.

It works great. For me, the secret was getting off starches (not carbs -- starches, there actually is a difference!)

Hear Hear.

People are thinking that it is just for 17 days, no its not, it is a step process and each step is 17 days, check out this link http://caloriecount.about.com/17-day-diet-b487463 it explains the steps very well.
  • mrsduck77
    mrsduck77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did this plan for 51 days (all 3 cycles) and lost 30lbs.I had a lot of trouble starting back at cycle one again so was just counting calories and maintained for 3.5 months I am now starting cycle one again.
  • lenwie
    Options
    I havent done it, but since looking at this thread and investingating it further I have thought looks very good and might just give it a try sometime, but I do think I wouldn struggle with the very very low carb aspect at the beginning, but it is only 17 days before moving up to the next level :wink: