Strength Training?

Options
My DR suggested that I add some strength training into my work out 3 X a week. But I never did ask him the basics.

I have a home gym - but no leg press and dumbells.

How do I go about starting this?

Replies

• erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    for lower body do some squats and lunges, they burn lots of calories and you don't have to use weights, but you could hold some free weights while you do them.Gives legs great definition.Upper body you can do pushups, and then start low on weight with biceps and triceps.There are also some fun workout dvd's that could help you too, try your local library to see what you like before buying!Good luck!:smile:
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Just start with reps, like 10 arm curls, maybe hold the weights at your side and do lunges... I am new to this but remember doing strength training in school..
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    It may be beneficial to hire a trainer for a few sessions, just to show you the ropes in person.

Saving that, if you have an iPhone or Android there are a ton of apps that show you proper weight lifting techniques along with some good exercises.

Since you don't have a leg press, squats and lunges are going to be your friend.
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    There are plenty of books to help as well. Strength training has a lot of subtle nuances to it that takes a while to dial in. There are workouts geared toward all kinds of specific goals.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    go to www.bodyrock.tv. its free and there are some very good workouts. most of them are under 30 minutes.

another option would be to buy Craig Ballantyne's 6 month bodyweight exercise manual. It can be found at turbulencetraining.com.

both of these resources provide a number of multi-joint/compound exercises that are more beneficial than single joint exercises like arm curls.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    google for body weight exercises. You have a lot of options - planks, lunges, squats, wall sits, tricep dips, pushups, sit ups. If you invest in a set of dumbbells, you can add those to your body weight as you advance.