What are some of your favourite filling low calorie foods?

I've only just started to track what I eat but I do find that a simple baked potato fills me up and is a good low calorie option. I also love drinking chai tea with almond milk and a bit of honey! I've just started logging again after years so I am keen for some inspiration!

Replies

• WestCoastJanice
    WestCoastJanice Posts: 16 Member
    Swap the potato for a yam - it’s much lower calorie wise and has a lower glycemic index. Garlicky shrimp or brawn’s with broccoli (actually anything broccoli centric - lots of volume not a lot of calories), and get to know zoodles (zucchini noodles). A tip from a nutritionist back when I was a gestational diabetic: don’t let carbohydrates travel without being accompanied by a protein. Apparently it really moderates the impact on blood sugars and keeping an even keel will help when trying to remain satiated.

Chia pudding (4 tablespoons chia seeds, a cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk, 1/2tsp vanilla, and two teaspoons milk shaken together in a mason jar and left overnight, providing two 150 calorie servings) is great.

With respect to fruit berries provide a low sugar, high fibre option - with a 100 grams of strawberries only having a 40 calorie price tag - add a half serving of Skyr yogurt (higher protein lower fat than Greek) and half a serving of hemp seeds and it’s a 200 calorie breakfast with a great macro profile.

Lunch wise I often opt for a ready made (but not mayo based) tuna salad with 100 grams of spinach and some slices of avocado.

I find keeping breakfast and dinner “tame” means I can live a little at dinner and have lots of room (calorie wise) to fit a satisfying supper.

And of course - water, water, and more water. Try not to drink your calories. A surprising number sneak in when drinking juice and soda and most fancier (lattes with syrups) coffees can be real calorie bombs.
  • WestCoastJanice
    WestCoastJanice Posts: 16 Member
    My other favourite: beans. Really underrated and useful in terms of a high fibre, lower calorie option with protein. Try It to make brownies! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
  • Happygolucky182
    Happygolucky182 Posts: 120 Member
    Popcorn 🍿🥰
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    https://www.instagram.com/lowcalrecipes98/
    She has some fun things to try

@amyshealthybaking
    also has some good ones too