Ladies - protein after workouts?????

Options
Hey Girls ~ I have been on MFP for a couple months now and LOVE it. I have been working out hard during that time to lose and it is coming off sooooooo slow! Yes I am eating my calories and most or all of my exercise calories. I work out 5-6 days per week, gym classes, cycling,hiking running class. I have heard you should have protein to recover after a workout.

What do you think? What are you doing? Of course I am worried about calories too.

Thanks for your tips!!!! Have a Great week!!!

Replies

• YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • daram05
    Options
    Bump
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have eggs (If I have them) or some cheese... or both together :-P It is important to have protein after a good hard work out... Some people opt for protein drinks others have powders, some eat actual protein heavy foods... it's up to you. The food is a little more on the affordable side since you probably already have those things to make other meals out of...
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake with wheatgrass. I was advised about eating any kind of carbs after a workout.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do like protein shakes after my workouts, it's an easy way to get in a lot of protein. Personally I love the cytosport chocolate protein powder with almond milk, tastes like a chocolate shake and not too many calories :o)
  • tasmith3631
    Options
    I know that my doctor told me to eat some protein after a work out. I get those Special K protein snack bars or Atkins snack bars. They have about 5-7 grams of protein and a few carbs to keep my sugar up.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake within 1 hour after my workout....everyday that I workout :) and it's 186 calories, 7 carbs and 15 protein
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    a fast absorbing protein (whey) for workouts like weight training where your muscles need to be fed. For workouts like cycling, running, (cardio) , then a piece of fruit such as apple or grapefruit.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that it can also help alleviate muscle soreness when consumed after tough workouts.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    If the weight is coming off slowly, you may want to refrain from eating all your burned calories and stay with in your alloted calorie intake for the day. I usually try to eat some source of protein after my workout. Like a protein shake (EAS brand from walmart). They are 110 calories and no sugars, with 17g of protein. They come in strawberry, vanilla, milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
  • tipthescale
    tipthescale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard that chocolate milk is the best drink to have after you workout. 8g of protein in one serving.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I drink Isopure Zero protein shake. Here is the info.: http://www.theisopurecompany.com/powders.php

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake right after working out (cardio or strength training). I find that my muscles are less sore when I do it. I've also noticed that I have been showing results faster (both weight loss and muscle gain) when I drink the protein shake right after my workouts.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    You absolutely need protein after a workout! I opt for shakes or smoothies because of my workout schedule and timing, but the right food is just as effective. Protein powders are an excellent option, just watch the ingredients because some are full of artificial sweeteners and fillers. I usually have natural whey protein with unsweetened vanilla milk and Chia seeds. (some people use water to save calories, but the taste isn't worth it! Plus, unsweetened vanilla almond milk is only 40 calories a cup!) Sometimes I blend them with frozen fruit and a spoon of non-fat greek yogurt for added protein, and it makes it nice and creamy! I always choose a few add ins, like chia or hemp seeds, wheatgrass, bee pollen, or flax. This helps boost the nutrition, and doesn't change the taste. Try to get your protein in within about 30-40 minutes after your workout, as this is the replenishment range that your body will benefit most from, and absorb the most nutrients. Women tend to have misconceptions and confusion surrounding the importance of protein, but it is crucial, particularly after a workout. I include protein in every meal. I aim for my body weight in grams daily, all though that can sometimes be a challenge.
  • dietpop
    dietpop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My trainer says you should eat 30 to 60 minutes after exercising and the protein should come from food.

I eat a few pieces of high quality lunch meat like ham, turkey or salami with some veggies. Sometimes I eat string cheese.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, it helps to get protein within half hour or so after a workout. Personally, I love Zoic Nutritional Drinks ... I just found them in publix looking for something just for this very purpose.. They have like 15 g of protein, and a large amount of calcium (which is helping me meet my daily calcium goals without supplements and/or excessive calorie use). the ones I drink (french vanilla) are 90 calories. a half gram of fat, one gram of sugar .... unless there is something in the very fine details, I haven't found a down side yet.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I buy the already hard boiled eggs at the grocery and keep them in the fridge for a quick protein food after a workout.
  • namaral87
    Options
    Is it ok to have protein before I work out? It is easier to make a smoothie and drink it on the way to the gym.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have kefir slightly before and another after. Sometimes I have a hardboiled egg -(before exercising) it definitely helps! I was surprised.

Here is a nice article in the popular press on the topic:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-02-11-protein-recovery_N.htm
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    There is a lot of controversy with timing of protein after workouts. What is not controversial is that protein will help muscles rebuild and recover. That is generally why it is recommended to be consumed after lifting weights. If you want to have a protein shake or bar after you work out then go for it but just be mindful because there are some protein supplements that are very calorie dense and might throw you off your daily consumption if you are not careful. Personally, I don't use any sort of protein supplement after working out. If I lift weights then I will have a protein heavy dinner. Hopefully that helps a little.

Edit: Sorry I'm not a woman but both male and female bodies use protein the same so I thought I would offer some info.