What’s helped you?

I’m struggling. I lost weight and then gained it. I lost it on my own and gained it on my own. Now I’m going to the dr and he’s put me on adipex but it’s not working. I have thought about going to a counselor for emotional eating but I can’t get into one. What has helped you? Any specific fad diet? Any book you really liked? A movie? Over the counter vitamin supplements? Smoothie diets? What have you tried that you thought really helped?

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    If you are an emotional eater I would try listening to the first few episodes of weight loss made real podcast by Cookie Rosenblum. She uses a psychological/ behavioural approach. She’s not a great advocate of counting calories. It may not be helpful for everyone but I like her concepts
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    I made a conscious choice to change and just stick to it. I found out what the foods I was eating before were doing to my body and what I needed to eat to repair the damage I had done. I had to find a way of eating that was sustainable and life long. I really got to the root of why I was over eating. I've eliminated ultra processed foods, sweetened drinks, alcohol, and added sugars from my way of eating. I mainly stick to a whole food way of eating for the most part. The most processed things I eat are organic tofu, tempeh, and peanut butter as a treat.

I don't necessarily follow his protocol but the Carb Addiction Doc on YouTube pulled the wool from my eyes in terms of my own addictive personality in relation to food.

Regular exercise and meditation has helped a great deal in terms of reducing stress and organizing my daily thoughts. My job offers a heart healthy plan for a year so I signed up for that as well.

Also reading and sharing on this forum as well as logging daily help keep me on track.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I lost about 50 lbs from my high of 177 12 years ago. I have maintained that loss for about 10 years.

For losing weight it was two things: 1) I realized that although there was a lot in my life I had no control over, I did control what I put in my mouth, therefore the only thing stopping me from losing weight was me. 2) I lose well by restricting carbs. I have a bad sweet tooth and a tendency to indulge way too often. By limiting my carbs and only allowing myself an occasional treat, I was able to lose weight. I am not happy limiting carbs all the time, because I enjoy fruit and bread and desserts too much, but by paying attention, I learned which ones I can happily give up and which I really enjoy. Protein fills me up but I find it boring after a while, so low carb only works for me for a few months, not forever.

To keep the weight off, I did two things as well: 1) I became a consistent logger on mfp. I write down everything, good or bad. That way I can't ignore it when the occasional treat becomes frequent or daily and I weigh often enough I can stop myself from regaining too much as soon as I get over my allowed top limit. By tracking both exercise and intake, I have learned how to tell when I can and should eat more for energy and when my appetite is just boredom. 2) I found an exercise I enjoy that I can do almost every day and that I want to improve so I can get more out of it. Since the exercise burns calories, I get a lot of flexibility in my diet, which is where the logging comes in. I know how much I can eat to fuel my exercise and health without eating too much.
  • eleng0413
    eleng0413 Posts: 14 Member
    I don't recommend taking medications for weight loss. From my experience, they work so well because they decrease your appetite. Once you stop, your appetite returns to its former state and you'll gain the weight back.

I'm having the same issue, reading these posts is super inspiring.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    If you are an emotional eater I would try listening to the first few episodes of weight loss made real podcast by Cookie Rosenblum. She uses a psychological/ behavioural approach. She’s not a great advocate of counting calories. It may not be helpful for everyone but I like her concepts

A couple of other good emotional eating/body image podcast are "No Sugarcoating" by Amber Romaniuk and "The Breakthrough Emotional Eating" podcast by Kristin Jones.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    I'd suggest continuing to try to get into a counselor. Keep trying, keep getting on waiting lists, etc.

I'd also simply focus on getting out and getting more active. Like, even just a 20 min walk each day. Not fast or hard, just outside in the fresh air and sun. This can have a pretty noticeable positive effect on your mental health.

If you feel the core issue is emotional eating/binging, then I'd suggest getting that sorted first. Before worrying about counting calories, etc.
  • mjjkidwell
    mjjkidwell Posts: 1 Member
    Ive been going to a nutritionist and its been helping. I do better with programs telling me what to do rather than what to avoid. I do best when i plan a day and log it all in the morning and stick to it. Even the cheats, log and plan for them and enjoy them.

Feel free to add me. Ive been off mfp for a few years but back now to get back to my goal weight.