Biking to work?

Options
Hi I was thinking about starting to ride my bike to work to help with my fitness goals. It is 6 miles each way, and I live in az where temps will be over 100 very soon. Honestly I haven’t ridden my bike in over 5yrs but still have it. Is this a bad idea any tips to make this successful I know I’ll add at least 30min to my commute each way

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It maybe wouldn't be a good idea to go from no riding to riding every day in one go but 6 miles each way is a nice easy distance.
    Picking your days to avoid the worst of the weather (heat or rain) makes it more of a pleasure than a chore and a very time efficient way to get some regular exercise in.

Tips:
    Use your car trips to take a store of work clothes to minimise what you are having to carry on the bike.
    Be prepared to fix punctures.
    Get some bike clothing designed for high temps, a sweat wicking mesh top makes extreme temps far more manageable.
    Consider an insulated bike bottle to keep your water (possibly with electrolytes) cooler.

@marius_paps
    As an extreme bike commuter anything to add?
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bike to work. It's about 7km each way. I don't do anything different than if I was driving other than leave earlier and wear clothes appropriate for cycling and weather. I change once I get to work. I went from no cycling to cycling every day with no problem. Rain, hail, shine. I've biked in all of them. Gloves in winter... sunglasses in summer. Good rain jacket, hi-vis jacket and good lights is all you need.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Outside of the fitness and practical tips you are going to get...think about safety.

If you are sharing the road with cars/trucks, you should always assume that people who are driving do not see you. They are looking at their phones, eating breakfast, watching TV, and/or driving a vehicle that is so large, they physically cannot see you. Be very aware of your surroundings and prepare to ride defensively. Don't wear earbuds while you are riding.

Always give cars the right-of-way, even if you are entitled to it. In a collision, the car will win, no matter who was "right", so don't try to make a point by challenging a vehicle.

Beware when courteous drivers stop to allow you to cross or give you right-of-way. The driver behind or next to them may not be extending you the same courtesy. Locally, we have had fatal accidents when a motorist waved a biker across the road, who was then struck by another motorist who did not stop.

Some years ago, my husband was struck by a car at a 4-way stop intersection. He stopped. The car stopped. He looked at the driver. The driver looked at him. He decided to do, but so did the driver. My husband ended up with permanent injuries. When he said to the driver, "You looked right at me!", she said, "I looked at you, but I didn't SEE you."

I'm not trying to discourage you...just wear a helmet and bright, reflective clothing, and be hyper-aware while riding.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    6 miles is not really a lot. I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly. Just think of sun protection if it's really getting that hot, and bring water along.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I used to cycle commute to work but I'm in the UK so my main issue was the rain.
    What helped me the most was to have a change of clothes ,toiletries etc at work.
    Starting your day wet or sweaty etc isn't nice!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    6 miles each way is a very doable distance even if you haven't been riding, but I'd take a dry run at it first and see how you feel. Your greatest discomfort will likely be your *kitten* and getting used to being in the saddle. Afternoon heat may or may not be an issue for you...that's pretty individual, but it would be easier to start now and acclimate as the temperatures start to climb. I'm usually ok if I'm moving, it's when I have to stop that I really start to feel the heat.

Like I said, I'd take a dry run at it and see how it goes...then maybe start with 2-3x per week commute and work up to everyday...but again, just depends on how you feel. I wish I could bike commute more, but I bounce around between two different physical offices so I always have a lot of stuff with me. Friday will be my first bike commute of the season as mornings are now pleasant enough. I work in the same office back to back on Thursday and Friday, so on Thursday I just leave my computer and everything at the office and leave clothes to change into Friday so I don't have to haul everything on my bike. I usually pick everything up on the weekend as my gym is right around the corner from my office and I just stop by on the way home to pick up my computer and everything else.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    You may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you can use little used paths, side streets, parking lots that are safe to cut through. Think in terms of “best route” versus “shortest route”.

It’s faster for me to bike to my gym than it is to drive the less than two miles to get there, even though it’s slightly longer via bike.

No lights, pedestrian crosswalks, bike trail runs almost from A to B. It’s slightly longer than driving but beats the daylights out of biking on the main roads with the heavy traffic.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    As the others have mentioned a 6 mile ride is very doable. We don't have quite the temperatures that you do but we have horrific humidity in the summer.

I just wanted to expand a little on the safety side of things.....I have been riding for years with a blinking while LED light showing to the front & a very bright bling red one face the rear and I'm pretty sure that they've saved my bacon on more than one occasion. My personal favourites are made by a company called Cygolite. Most of their models are rechargeable, affordable and made in the USA.

https://cygolite.com/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    As the others have mentioned a 6 mile ride is very doable. We don't have quite the temperatures that you do but we have horrific humidity in the summer.

I just wanted to expand a little on the safety side of things.....I have been riding for years with a blinking while LED light showing to the front & a very bright bling red one face the rear and I'm pretty sure that they've saved my bacon on more than one occasion. My personal favourites are made by a company called Cygolite. Most of their models are rechargeable, affordable and made in the USA.

https://cygolite.com/

On that note, Garmin makes a red tail light that has a radar gun to make you aware of traffic behind you, and flashes differently when there are cars behind you to make drivers aware of you.