Binge eating

Options
Has anyone been prescribed Vyvanse for binge eating and/or an ADD diagnosis in adulthood? Experiences?

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I've taken Vyvanse for my ADD for probably 10 years now. I have more focus and better concentration with it than without. What other experiences are you looking for?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    This has been discussed in the forums before, if you plug "Vyvanse" into the search engine you'll get quite a few hits.

Go to "Discussions" and the search box is at the top of the page..here's the link for my results when I did that:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?query=Vyvanse &scope=site
  • amn0619
    amn0619 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was on it for a while. It helped for a bit, then didn’t. I didn’t like how it made me feel - I don’t have ADHD so it made me jittery and amped up. But it did help bingeing, until my body got used to that dosage. Then bingeing came back, doctor raised dosage, repeat cycle. I stopped taking it because I hated the overall feeling.
  • herronisland
    herronisland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have horrible problems with binge eating. Last night I ate everything and anything in sight, despite drinking lots and lots of fluids and eating lots of veggies and fruit. I don’t want to take a drug but need helpful suggestions. I had just reached a weight loss milestone but gained two pounds yesterday because of the binge.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I have horrible problems with binge eating. Last night I ate everything and anything in sight, despite drinking lots and lots of fluids and eating lots of veggies and fruit. I don’t want to take a drug but need helpful suggestions. I had just reached a weight loss milestone but gained two pounds yesterday because of the binge.

Let's see if we can deal with one or two of the "little" issues while leaving any real elephants still intact and sitting in the middle of the living room! :lol:

The first one is the part where you gained two lbs because of a binge. Not that it is impossible to gain two lbs from a real life actual binge by someone who is suffering from BED. You and they can.

But I KNOW for a FACT that YOU specifically didn't gain two pounds yesterday because of the binge type eating you engaged in. How do I know?

Because there is no way you can know today--less than 24 hours later--how much fat you actually gained from what you ate yesterday. Your tummy and your intestines still haven't finished processing all that you ate.

So unless we are actually concerned about the weight of waste in transit through our body (in which case we would all eat twinkies that weight almost nothing instead of vegetables and fruits that weight a lot--NOT RECOMMENDED :wink: )... what you are interested in is your weight trend over multiple days. And while that may well show a gain, it would not be the two lbs you are seeing the next morning!

So. Let's move on beyond the sad panda state associated with momentarily exceeding a previous low!

Beyond that, and it would be perhaps better in a separate thread?, but beyond that: **how often are these (overeating) incidents taking place?** How much of a deficit have you been applying and for how long? i.e. how much weight have you lost and in what length of time? How far above "normal weight" are you at currently? You also mentioned fruits and vegetables and water... how many calories are you aiming to eat each day? Do you have any protein and fat goals that you are aiming for?

Inquiring minds and all that! :smile:

PS: I am a sad panda too today: have I ever mentioned that eating 800 Cal of dry cereal straight out of the box at 2am is not a very bright idea? But... well... not too sad of a panda! It is bright and sunny and almost noon and I am having coffee and only now am I slowly reving up to contemplate what I may want to eat for lunch...