Intermittent Fasting - OMAD and TMAD

Options
I have come to realise the only way I am successful is when I fast. I fast between 16 and 20 hours a day usually and just break my fast when I am hungry.

I am just wondering how many people have had a successful weight loss doing this?

I know some people are properly lifestyle serious with it, but what about people like me that just kind of do it naturally?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I've eaten every which way but my preference has always been eating most of my calories at night and trying to eat VERY lightly during the day. That worked. It changed from eating most at night to eating what I logged for the day the next day because my eating time got later and later and I really needed to get some sleep. :) THAT worked. (At least I stayed in maintenance by the time that point came.)

I think you'll be successful if you stay within your calorie goal and don't over or under eat on a consistent basis. Eating only 1 or 2 meals a day is just a schedule which sounds like it'll work for you and that's one of the big hurdles of weight loss/gain/maintenance. Finding what works for YOU without ending up in the hospital. :)

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I naturally eat OMAD due to my schedule. I manage to maintain my weight- probably 15-20lb overweight, doing this.
  • Christie_Smith
    Christie_Smith Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I've eaten every which way but my preference has always been eating most of my calories at night and trying to eat VERY lightly during the day. That worked. It changed from eating most at night to eating what I logged for the day the next day because my eating time got later and later and I really needed to get some sleep. :) THAT worked. (At least I stayed in maintenance by the time that point came.)

I think you'll be successful if you stay within your calorie goal and don't over or under eat on a consistent basis. Eating only 1 or 2 meals a day is just a schedule which sounds like it'll work for you and that's one of the big hurdles of weight loss/gain/maintenance. Finding what works for YOU without ending up in the hospital. :)

Thank you! It's hard to get out the mindset of doing right or wrong etc. O-TMAD definitely works for me but I had so many people tell me 3-4 meals + snacks I start to doubt myself!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    Options
    The most recent study that is making the rounds finds no advantage to time restricted eating vs "simple" caloric restriction.

No advantage goes both ways. I.e. neither has an advantage. So time restricted resting is a tool and a means to an end.

If time restricted eating helps you and works for you to appropriately restrict your calories (not too much and not too little)... then it will be helpful as one of your tools to lose weight.

The more tools and layers you add... the more likely you will end up winning!

Tools and layers?

Some of mine were in no particular order. Eating more vegetables and fruits. Increasing protein. Engaging in increased movement. Replacing sedentary hobbies with less sedentary ones. Finding ways of eating that suitted me and discovering a multitude of low to mid high in calories relatively filling easy to prepare snacks I can get to in a hurry. Logging and reviewing logs. Not ignoring the scale. Learning more about nutrition and weight loss. Identifying some of the occasions in which I overeat even if not hungry and addressing some of them with partial success. Engaging with the community. And a few more....
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have found that 18 hour fasts work for me, but everyone is different. Well, it’s not technically a fast because I make 2 coffees with almond milk, but that makes up less than 1% of my intake so I don’t care. If you are able to stay occupied during your fast and not binge, I would definitely say go for it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Honestly, I just stopped listening to anyone about my food, meals, exercise, weight, weightloss etc. I lost 80 pounds, I've kept it off for 15 years. I think I have it figured out.

With that said, when I was losing weight I found it better for me to eat a large evening meal and try to eat as little as possible during the day. I agree with @glassyo above - find a plan that works for you (and maybe stop discussing it with people in real life who really should have no say!)
  • kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’ve hit my goal weight, from 200lbs to 126, from not necessarily purposeful IF. I usually eat 2 meals a day between noon and 7pm and it works great for me. I started purposefully not allowing myself to eat after 7 because I would binge eat at night and now the fasting from 7-noon is just what works best for me and what I feel best at. If I wake up and hungry for whatever reason, I do eat though because it’s not that often and I figure my body must need to eat for whatever reason. But 90% of the time I’m not hungry until noon or later. I don’t eat after 7 though unless I’m working midnights because I still crave junk at night.
  • ashverdo
    ashverdo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost a fair bit doing 2MAD but I kept getting in my own head because everyone kept telling me to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks or eating large meals will keep me hungrier etc. So I tried to divide my calories to eat many meals but I would end up never close to satisfied and would often go over.

I like to eat a lot of food. I like big meals. I like feeling full. I like eating higher calorie foods. I like being able to feel normal at dinner time or when out with friends.

It’s easier for me to tell myself hey we gotta wait for our 2 meals but we can have basically anything for them then it is to be like okay we can have anything but only in a small amount.

1700 cals broken up into 4-5 meals makes me feel resentful and hungry. 1700 in two meals? I am happy as a clam and find it far easier to stick to my calories.

I literally do not care about any supposed benefits, I just do it to be able to eat big *kitten* meals but that’s who I am and it’s working great for me! I’m down 66 and like 55 of that is via 2MAD.