looking for creative ideas

Options
ok, so this is going to sound like a sob story, and i'm sorry. that's not what i'm going for. i just would appreciate a few creative and helpful tips on how others might have dealt with a similar issue.

i've been on MFP since january, and lost 44 lbs. then because of personal family reasons, my hubby and i and our 17 month old daughter had to move in with my in-laws (my husband's parents) on the other side of the country. and now i've gained back 5 in the 3 weeks we've been here. in utah (where we lived before coming to PA), I had lots of work-out buddies and friends who'd help me reach my goals through either encouragement or babysitting my daughter to i could workout. we also lived in a basement apt. so i could do my workouts in the next room over during naptime and not worry about making too much noise from jumping around and the house shaking etc. my hubby was at home at nights and worked days, and he would often watch her in the evenings so i could go to a zumba or water aerobics class or something similar at the local university that i had a gym pass for.

but now we are at my in-laws and i haven't quite been able to manage things that same way. our bedroom is in the basement, but all the living happens upstairs. (and grandma lives in the basement apartment). i haven't found something that i'm used to or know how to do while my daughter is awake-- i'm usually playing with her or managing the house while she is awake. and when she's asleep, i'm the only one home, so i can't leave. and since she sleeps in the basment, and the house shakes just by walking upstairs, it's near impossible to do a workout video while she's sleeping downstairs since she just wakes up and cries if i try to do that. in fact, i have to limit most movement and tip toe upstairs so i don't wake her up during valuable nap time (so i usually read, check email, make phone calls, and eat lunch during this time).

my father-in-law (dad from now on) works and is gone from about 6am to 4 or 5pm, and his evenings are unpredictable with activities-- he records stats for the local hs football team, referees for basketball, is a boy scout troop leader, etc etc-- you get the picture, he's busy and not around a ton. my mother-in-law (mom from now on) is a school teacher and teaches voice lessons in the evening at home in the living room; each night is different, sometimes there is one lesson right after school, sometimes there are lessons from 4pm to 9pm, and during these times i need to make sure that my 17 month old doesn't interrupt the lessons, or me either. my sister-in-law has a crazy work schedule and it's never consistent, and she has trouble dealing with kids because of some personal issues. she likes to suggest that we go jogging together in the mornings when she doesn't work the early morning shift, but every time i get up, she's asleep and says she doesn't feel like going (and i can't go by myself because our car decided to break down a week after we moved here, and she would need to drive us to the track which is about 4 or 5 miles away). my hubby is looking for a job, so any time he IS home, and not out at an interview, i ask him to take care of our daughter so i can work out i get a response like the following, "sure, but that means i have to stop looking for a new job," or something similar that i feel guilty about.

i feel really frustrated that everyone's schedules are so inconsistent from day to day and week to week. since we are living on mom and dad's charity in the basement, we're not asking for money for luxuries like zumba class, water aerobics, etc. mom has asked that we use the exercise resources we have at home-- dvds, and wii games like zumba and just dance-- because those are free. which i totally understand. but when can i use them?! not when i'm home alone with my daughter, because she's either awake and under foot and i don't want to hurt her. and not when she's asleep because this house creaks if you shift your weight and it wakes her up. not after "school hours" because mom is teaching voice in the living room where the tv is, and not after voice lessons are over because dad and/or sister want to watch their shows that they don't have any other time to watch. by the time i feel like i could, everyone is going to bed, it's midnight to 1 am, and i've lost all motivation to workout, and even if i felt like it, i'd be asked to stop moving so much because the house is loud and they need their sleep. i love my in-laws, they are sweet people, and i realize that i've come into their home and interrupted their routines. they have been super nice and made many sacrifices for my little family, so they just want to keep some things the same in their routines. i just haven't figured out how to fit my routine in yet.

so has anyone been in a similar situation. anyone have some creative ideas on how to get in a good workout considering the above situations. i don't want to make excuses. i'd just like some help with a new and fresh prespective since i seem to be stuck. thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    yikes! that was a LOT longer than i thought it would be.... pretty sure no one's going to read that and respond. dang.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    do you have a play pen for the little one that you could put her to sleep in a living area and work out in the basement when she is napping?
  • Lmaxwell
    Lmaxwell Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Put your daughter in a stroller & go for a walk. It counts as exercise & will familiarize you with the neighborhood.
  • Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    while the weather is still nice take the baby in the stroller and walk.. pushing the stroller burns a little more than just walking and then you two can exercise together never to early to teach healthy lifestyle :) p.s. hang in there the transitions are the hardest focus focus!!!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Put your daughter in a stroller & go for a walk. It counts as exercise & will familiarize you with the neighborhood.

That is a great idea.. and maybe check with local gyms... our gym if you volunteer a set 2 hr shift per week in the daycare of our gym you get a free membership to the gym which includes the classes like zumba, etc. we have moms that take their kids with them while they "work" and then they utilize the day care to workout too
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reducing your food intake so you at least stop gaining weight. Try lifting weights? The stroller idea is great. If you have a park district, they may have a free track you can use, and some even allow strollers. Even better, if she's still small enough you can strap her on your front or back in lieu of weights when walking.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was a single parent, with little friends (who my ex had driven mostly away) and no family closer than a half hour drive away.

What I found was things I could do that INCLUDED my kidlet!

When he was tiny, I'd take daily walks by pushing him around in a stroller. (birth to 3 years)
    I took bike rides with him riding in the kiddie trailer.

When he got older and could walk and run, I taught him how to play sports. (4 years to preteen)
    We'd go to the local park and play soccer together.
    We'd play catch (which, if you're playing with a young one, you spend 90% of the time chasing after the ball).
    We'd "race" each other across the field.
    We'd both ride the swings to see who could go the highest. Sometimes he rode on my lap.
    I worked out my arms pushing him on the merry-go-round.

When he became a preteen to now, we play basketball together, soccer, biking, hiking, etc.

None of it required a membership to any gym. We got a GREAT workout. AND we got quality time together!
  • msi4got
    msi4got Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone's already given you such great ideas! The stroller option is the one that I would go for. And don't be discouraged about the gain, big changes in your life schedule often lead to gains (at least they do for me!)
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but here are my $0.02.

I started working out 5 years ago, when my kids were 18 months and 3 1/2, and my husband was deployed. We were stationed overseas and had no family or friends around to help watch the kids and give me a break. I'm telling you this so you will know that I have been in a similar situation- I could either work out when the kids were sleeping (and risk waking them up) or work out when they were awake (and deal with them being underfoot)

I choose the second option. I took them on walks in the double stroller and we went EVERYWHERE when the weather was nice. I did DVD's and exercises at home with them in the living room. Yes, they sometimes got in the way- but I learned to deal with it. And it sounds like that's what you're going to have to do.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I also know that I cannot possibly predict what kind of behavior your daughter has. Maybe you can't "deal with it" But sometimes it's the only option. Your workouts might not flow smoothly, you might have interruptions, but your daughter is old enough to be in the room while you workout it, and as she gets used to seeing you workout things will go smoother.

The result of me working out with my kids around was losing 30 lbs (and maintaining the loss for almost 4 years before I slacked off!) and raising two children who are incredibly active! They pretty much grew up with a mom that exercised, and they started joining in. (This morning my son- now 8- woke up in the middle of my workout, and did half of my P90X video with me!)
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is walking with the buggy - you could go miles every day with your daughter. Or even jogging with the buggy. Sorry, I'm all out of ideas!
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I too, now live with my in-laws. One question that I have is - you say you need to drive to the running track ... why not just run? Running outside is so therapeutic, especially if you can do it before your household is awake and you don't have to worry about interfering in anyone else's life. Also - power yoga is both quiet and it gets my heart rate up and sustains it enough that I actually get a decent calorie burn from it. It might work during nap time. Or put the baby in a stroller and go for a long power-walk, put weights (books work) in a backpack or wear ankle-weights if you have them to add to the workout. Just simple push-ups and sit-ups can be very intense as well, and are also quiet enough to do during nap time. Working out with little kids is always a struggle, but just remember that, even now, you are setting a precedent/example for her.
  • 4cookiesmom
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. Put the baby in the stroller and do a nice power walk every day. The baby will love it and you can get outside and clear your head. Recharge your batteries a little. I also love the idea of putting the baby in the playpen upstairs. Hang in there. Things will get better.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Most low impact exercise should not shake the house. Go to collagevideo.com to find low impact.

I use walking DVDs, these are low impact & require very little space, and no equipment typically. Find a Walk At Home DVD - these are chaptered- so you can do 1 mile at a time (if that's all time will allow).

Library, Netflix, ExerciseTV, Target, Amazon - these are pretty common.
  • Atalante
    Atalante Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dear Cmbneely,

I have never been in a similar situation and I freely admit that it would drive me out of my mind in about five minutes! It sounds to me like you are going through a very hard time and need to cut yourself at little slack! Alternatively the suggestion of walking (briskly) with your daughter is the best bet. However, I should think you need a serious talk with your in-laws on how to get through this difficult time with everyone's temper and health intact! Of course you do not want to impose more than absolutely necessary but at least your monther-in-law who has had small kids herself will understand your need to have a little "me-time" now and then. Perhaps you can help out with something in return for a little baby-sitting? And then the oddest thing about this- Where is you husband?
  • Karen_145
    Options
    I agree as well. My daughter is one year and my exercise consists of walking her in a stroller with the dogs. We're also in a hiking group that hikes Tuesday mornings. That's an even bigger workout because she's in a carrier on my back.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Maybe put the little one in the high chair mid morning or late afternoon for a snack while you do a workout dvd. During bathtime let the little one play in the tub while you do push ups, planks, various crunches, squats, punches, etc. on the bathroom floor. Just some ideas.
  • KindleBlossom
    Options
    Three maybe good ideas;
    Setting up a free childcare co- op with other moms in your new area might be a great way to get the daycare and the alone time you need in order to stay healthy AND meet some new friends with similar goals! When I was little, my mom set one up by placing a flyer around town (grocery stores are a great spot) and in the PTA newsletter. When people responded, she interviewed them to make sure they were qualified, then set up a schedule where each parent would look after a group of kids for one day per week- that way, for up to 6 days out of the week, you get free childcare, even just for a few hours. This sounds like a lot of work to organize up front, but I promise the payoff is fantastic!

Another good, low- cost option is to do a skillshare or skill swap. You can use the same flyer method above to find fitness instructors who are willing to teach you for free, if you'll teach them a skill that you know. In the past, I've been able to learn lots of awesome things and meet cool people by trading on my carpentry, sewing, and even baking skills! :) Some local fitness centers (with childcare onsite or they'll allow you to bring your kid with you) may also offer trade or "work study", where you work in their office for a few hours each week in exchange for free classes! Sometimes you only need to ask, and they'd be grateful for the help!

Also- one last idea- hiking is a great family activity for weekends and a great way to keep in shape, especially in a beautiful place like Utah. You could even bring the in- laws and kids along, if practicality dictates. It's hard to hang onto the stress of a job search and all the junk that comes along with everyday life when you're out enjoying nature and feeling fit.

I hope you find the solution that's just right for you. :) I know it can be hard- my husband and I went through a similarly rough patch when we were first married (moving in with the in- laws and all). This too shall pass. :) It's so awesome that you're trying to stay motivated. Just hang in there.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    wow, everyone. thanks so much for the encouragement and tips! i didn't expect anything after i wrote a novel of whiney-ness. thanks so much!

I'm really going to have to find a safe path for walking. we kinda live in the middle of no where-- the roads are narrow and there are no sidewalks, so I have to go the the park where there is a indoor track and outdoor walking trail. i used to go walking back in utah all the time, but i'm afraid to get lost out here since i don't know where i am.

i'm going to try putting my munchkin in her play pen while i work out adn see if that works, too!

and i'm trying to set up a babysitting swap/exercise group with some young mothers from church (which may be tough because we live so spread out, but we'll see what works). thanks again! I feel so motivated by your ideas, i appreciate it! :-)