Eating on a Budget

I am single and currently have had to cut back on spending money, what are some ways to stay within budget when shopping for groceries? With prices increasing I find it a real challenge....

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Buy in bulk when possible. Rice, beans, lentils are all pretty budget friendly. Shop produce in season and on sale. You can cook up a pot of dry beans and then freeze in portions for later. Meat is usually cheaper when purchased as a "family" or "value" pack. Once again, portion and freeze. Buy frozen fruits and vegetables if unable to use fresh before they go bad.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Rice, pasta, and beans are inexpensive and can help fill out a dish. If you can buy them in bulk, they are even cheaper.

Frozen fruit and vegetables are usually less expensive than fresh, and they last longer.

If you eat meat, that's where I've noticed the biggest price increases. Dark-meat chicken parts...legs and thighs...tend to be much cheaper than breasts. Consider cooking an entire turkey breast or pork loin. They will be kind of expensive initially, but as a single person, you can freeze individual portions and get a lot of meals out it. Your per-meal cost will be really low. My grocery store often sells 6 large pork chops for $10. My husband and I get 3 meals out of that.

Other than that, look for coupons, loyalty programs, and sales. If you have multiple grocery stores in your area, do some research missions to find out who has the best prices on which items.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Also, don't discount (hah!) the There Are Still Some Things That Are 99 Cents and the They Should Change The Name To The $1.25 stores. They sell fruits and vegetables and eggs and stuff like that along with canned goods and cookies (real and knockoff) and stuff like THAT :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Figure out when your store(s) pull the almost-out-of-date items and put them in the sale area (especially for meat in my experience) and shop on that day and get those deep discounts before other people grab them.

Check out the discount stores - not sure where you are, but around by me that would be Lidl and Aldi - I checked out Lidl the other day and found some great deals, and the food was pretty good too! Just watch them though, I did get some fresh asparagus in bags that ended up being bad (not worth returning the less than $3 I spent on it though). Walmart also tends to 'in the end' cost less than most chain grocery stores - I hate shopping there, but if there's a bunch I need that other places don't have, it's a worthwhile trip.

Like mentioned, bigger packages, portion, and then freeze. Pain, but something I definitely do with things like chicken breasts.

Watch alternative shopping methods - for example, for me, Amazon Fresh actually hasn't really raised their prices, and some of their products (egg in particular where I'm at) are WAY better than anything remotely in a similar price range in the grocery store - plus saves me a trip. As a prime member it's free shipping over $35, just the driver tip extra.

Cut out/back on drinks - sodas, alcohol, flavored drinks, etc. It's boring and more work, but tea and water do what they are designed to do.

Make coffee at home - decent ground isn't cheap, but it's WAY cheaper than buying from a coffee house. Make a full pot, and put the leftovers in a container for iced coffee the next day (or I will heat it up if it's cold outside lol). I use creamer in mine and I honestly don't mind the flavor at all the next couple days if it's in the fridge after the pot shuts off.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Grow veggies if you have room. You could grow a tomato plant in the corner of a balcony or on your front stoop, if you have a pot and a sunny spot.

Do you have a bread outlet store nearby? I never pay the store prices for bread items, they're so expensive. A package of Lender's bagels goes for 4.59 at our store but I buy them at the bread outlet for 1.79. Everything else is much cheaper there too, hot dog or hamburger rolls, english muffins, breads. Our store has certain days where things are .99 each or 3 for $4. Stock up and freeze.
  • LilithReigns
    LilithReigns Posts: 199 Member
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice, the most affordable store here is Aldis so I am going to make a short list and see what I can do today.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Look around for alternatives like buy-in co-ops, too. In the Midwest there’s a program called Ruby’s Pantry where you can get $100+ dollars worth of groceries for $20/ share. You might not eat all of it (preferences or fitting in your diet) but you can share with a neighbor, donate, or learn to be creative. There is no income limit for Ruby’s Pantry, it’s for anyone who eats. They have a religious affiliation but do not push that upon participants other than pickup sites are often at church parking lots. There are other buy-in co-ops like this, some with income limits but many without.

Ask the parents of a large family if they know of any discount programs, or ask a social worker in the area (try calling your county health and human services) if they know of any “second food harvest” programs that capture food excesses between producers and distributors, or from the government distribution programs. There are sometimes programs from local farm excess, too, during or after harvests, that might offer deep discounts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    Depending on where you are prices of produce can be very different. Rice is very expensive here, cheap beans? Don't really exist. Candy is cheap though :'(
    Seriously if you happen to be in the UK then have a look at the website of Jack Monroe/bootstrap cook. They really manage to cook on a super budget and spends about 20GBP on groceries per week, including child. But again, what's cheap in the UK might be expensive elsewhere.
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    I've found that while the Randall's in my area is more expensive for just about everything, they have GREAT deals on meat. Lots of "Buy One Get One Free" or "Half Off," and they regularly do mark downs to get rid of meat before it goes bad, more so than any of the other grocery stores nearby. I haven't worked up the courage to try their fish selection, because I think the H‑E‑B fish market has a prettier selection, but it's a good place for that.

The biggest problem I always find with cooking on a budget is that you have to trade money for time. Cooking cheap, couponing, going to multiple grocery stores, hunting deals and scouring prices... It takes a lot of time, especially when you're getting started because you haven't learned any shortcuts and don't know what's normal for your area yet. You have to plan ahead, and you need to have enough executive function after your hour long (or more) grocery shopping trip to actually prep that food, whether to cook it now or just put away, clean and freeze for later. Your time and energy are valuable, so figure out what costs the least FOR YOU to do in terms of time and energy (some people can meal plan for a month without a sweat, but if I sit down to try to plan out that far ahead, I'll panic, and panicking takes up time and energy that I then won't use to cook, and that's how vegetables rot in my fridge). But I can make time for a bi-weekly run to the grocery store for produce, which means I spend money more often but the bill is small and I waste less.
  • LilithReigns
    I've found that while the Randall's in my area is more expensive for just about everything, they have GREAT deals on meat. Lots of "Buy One Get One Free" or "Half Off," and they regularly do mark downs to get rid of meat before it goes bad, more so than any of the other grocery stores nearby. I haven't worked up the courage to try their fish selection, because I think the H‑E‑B fish market has a prettier selection, but it's a good place for that.

The biggest problem I always find with cooking on a budget is that you have to trade money for time. Cooking cheap, couponing, going to multiple grocery stores, hunting deals and scouring prices... It takes a lot of time, especially when you're getting started because you haven't learned any shortcuts and don't know what's normal for your area yet. You have to plan ahead, and you need to have enough executive function after your hour long (or more) grocery shopping trip to actually prep that food, whether to cook it now or just put away, clean and freeze for later. Your time and energy are valuable, so figure out what costs the least FOR YOU to do in terms of time and energy (some people can meal plan for a month without a sweat, but if I sit down to try to plan out that far ahead, I'll panic, and panicking takes up time and energy that I then won't use to cook, and that's how vegetables rot in my fridge). But I can make time for a bi-weekly run to the grocery store for produce, which means I spend money more often but the bill is small and I waste less.

yes all of this! I work an office job from 8-6 everyday, I meal prep on Sunday. It has been very helpful but I often spend more than necessary and hate food waste. I am trying to find the easiest ways to cut down on cost and waste so this week I froze half of my fresh produce both veggies and fruit and will be meal prepping some easy soup bags since I find soup to be relatively cheap and easy to pack veggies into.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited April 2022
    If you're in the U.S. and are low-income you may qualify for an EBT card (SNAP.) It's a federal program to help with food.
    https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program
  • LilithReigns
    If you're in the U.S. and are low-income you may qualify for an EBT card (SNAP.) It's a federal program to help with food.
    https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program

I make too much to qualify for assistance, I am just seeking ideas on how to cut my costs down. Though I am sure this will help many others so thanks for the link!!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    One of my favorite cookbooks for learning to cook on a budget is the “More with Less” cookbook. It’s a Mennonite cookbook with recipes from all over the world, many of them are meatless or “meat stretching” so they’re pretty cheap, and they tend to make large batches that fit into the cook-once-eat-often mentality that will save you time and energy if you’re single, too.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Is there someone in your life that you can share bags of things and split the cost, such as apples or potatoes?
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice, the most affordable store here is Aldis so I am going to make a short list and see what I can do today.

Yeah if you have an Aldi and have a wholesale club like a BJs, Sams, or Costco you should be set. Just make sure when you go to the wholesale clubs that you make a list and stick to it, otherwise it will be an expensive trip! Not sure if you have a farmers market close to you. I know we do and one trick is to go about an hour before they close and many of the vendors will deeply discount produce because they don't want to haul it all back and have it spoil.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    From the UK, check out Jack Monroe's recipe website for budget meals. Before she became a food columnist for a national newspaper she was a single mom on benefits (=welfare).
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

Also from the UK there is a show called "Eat Well for Less" from the BBC that is available internationally on YouTube. It's main themes are cook from scratch, aschew all processed or partially processed products (ie washed and bagged salads, grated cheese), and try no name brands.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    You might also want to check out your local Asian markets. Not only will you get great prices on bulk rice, spices, and fresh and dried mushrooms, but I've found that the fresh greens are about 1/3 of the price as at the supermarket. Plus, you get to sample new-to-you fruits and veg that you may just come to love.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    OP, I see where you said you're not eligible for all the low-income programs where you are, but for other readers who may be eligible: My state (Michigan) is not the only one IMU where there's a program (called "double up food bucks" here) where you can multiply farmers market buying power - you can buy tokens for a dollar that are worth multiple dollars on eligible farmers market purchases.

Here, farmers markets can be expensive as a generality. However, there are some that have particular vendors or products that are much more affordable. If you're brave, look at things you've never tried before, that are not the usual fare in your area. In my case, there's an Asian family (Hmong, I think, but I haven't asked) who sells some specialty produce that's extremely affordable, like a dollar for a big bunch of nice greens, or a couple bucks for a nice bundle of Asian long beans. People on average get scared off because they've never had (say) red amaranth greens, but, y'know, greens are greens. Beans are beans. (Well, actually, I think long beans are tastier than regular green beans, but that may just be me.) Once you figure out which greens can be eaten raw, which need to be cooked (if you have a smart phone and a data plan, you can do it on the spot; if not, ask the seller) . . . try them. Ask them what things you've never had taste like, how to use them. For me, some of these once-unfamiliar foods have become new favorites.

Also, if you're truly in difficult circumstances, don't be afraid to check out food pantries and similar community food distribution programs. If you don't feel like you're *that* strained, but could use some help, here's a (sad to me) thing I learned from an MFP friend who staffed such a program: Often, in some places, when people get a thing they don't like to cook or don't know how to cook, they discard it outside the distribution point. She specifically mentioned people discarding dry beans/peas. I'm not advocating dumpster diving necessarily, but visiting, watching, intercepting - that might work, if lucky.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited May 2022
    First of all, look into Asian style cookery as they have so many recipes where food goes a very long way and it's not usually expensive to purchase the base ingredients.
    If you have access to an Asian supermarket check that out. You can often get things there for a steal -- not only the food items and condiments but cooking implements and utensils are also very well priced.
    Some staple items in my household are Thai curry pastes and tins of coconut milk. These can be used to make a simple simmer sauce that you cook veggies and protiens in which can then be served up with rice or noodles.
    You can freeze curry leftovers for months if you make in bulk.
    Stir-fries are also a good option and you can make large batches which reheat pretty well.
    Outside the Asian sphere soups are always an excellent option which can make pasta, veggies, beans and meat go a long way. If you need more Americana on a budget check out the WolfePit as this YouTuber has lots of very cheap meal vidoes here:
    https://www.youtube.com/hashtag/budgetmeal
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJm8wC-ABOvOn2piAt2WYg

When I have been in hard times I often purchased meaty soup bones. I would boil up the bones for several hours, take the meat off and then use the broth and flaked meat for a number of meals.