• Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as great as Panda"

NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA ;)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agree with earlier poster: Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.

Being skinny does not equal healthy.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as great as Panda"

Especially cream filled ones....mmmmmm.

*reported myself*
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    oh dear god no, I do not agree. Skinny and healthy are 2 differents things
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well...I think a lot of people are packing eating-disorder baggage onto the word "skinny"...which I can understand, but I don't think that's the intent of the quote.

So peeling that away... Yes, I agree that that big piece of chocolate cake over there with chocolate chips and fudge frosting tastes pretty darn good, but it doesn't taste good enough to justify 700 calories (and the corresponding exercise & time to burn it off) and messing with the successes I've been having. So in that sense, I agree with it.

I didn't mean it is figuratively pro-ana propaganda. It is literally a slogan that pro-ana's use.

Ahhhh...wasn't aware. Yikes, from that point of view, I certainly disagree with it. From my point of view, I agree with it. LOL Damn, this communication thing is complicated...

Thanks for the info, karincakes!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No.

A. I'd rather be healthy, strong and fit.

B. It implies that you can't have good tasting things if you want to be skinny and you of course can. You shouldn't deprive yourself of taste just to be "skinny".
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Skinny is a bunch of bs. Strong, lean, fit all those kick *kitten* and have the advantage of abiding with chocolate mousse cake or Guinness or mac and cheese on occasion. That's a way better life, IMHO.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I hate that phrase.

I'd rather enjoy food AND enjoy being fit. Deprivation sucks.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    NO WAY! I hate that quote. I have *never* wanted to be skinny. To me, skinny is a negative - a synonym for frail, vain or weak. I've always thought more along the lines of 'Oh my... look how skinny that celebrity is. She looks ill!' rather than 'Wow - I'm jealous that so-and-so is skinny!' I want to be strong and fit and healthy.

Anyhow, I'm more likely to say 'Life is too short to not enjoy the occasional cupcake' or 'Being fit and strong takes the right fuel'.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are hung up on the word 'skinny'. I am a big girl and therefore, will never be skinny, but I am so much more fit and healthy in general!

I agree with the notion that there are few foods that can make one feel as good as the accomplishment of losing the fat, ugly unhealthy eating habits of old, and seeing the scale move in the right direction! :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Anyhow, I'm more likely to say 'Life is too short to not enjoy the occasional cupcake' or 'Being fit and strong takes the right fuel'.

THIS!

I think of all this as a road trip. I'm on the road to improved health. I don't need to get from point A to point B in the shortest possible time frame. Just like when you're taking a drive somewhere, sometimes you have the best time when you get lost a little on the way and take a roundabout way of getting there. A detour.

This weekend, my detour included a lot of jello shots. My life is a lot more fun with those detours than if I was a stick in the mud saying, "I can't afford the calories."
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I might be the odd one out here but actually, yes, I do agree with it. I'm not where I'd like to be yet, but I sure as hell feel a lot better when I can fit into normal sized clothes at a normal store than I do when I eat cake. So, yeah I agree with it.. it's my moto and it works for me...
  • sugarbomb83
    sugarbomb83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Some of you are taking this quote to the extreme :) I am by no means anorexic.

Saturday when I ate steak, chicken, ribs, brisket, ham, a hot dog, rice & beans, cornbread, coleslaw, chips & dip, potato salad, pasta salad, rum cake, marble cake, a cookie, and a brownie it wasn't worth the 1lb I gained.

When I weighed 116 lb last year I considered myself slim or "skinny" but I was also muscular and healthy and had a ton of energy and slept really well. Now my knees and back hurt and I always feel tired. I HAVE to get these 10 lb off and think before I eat. To me this quote is about making better choices so I can get back to where I was. Did the rum cake, marble cake, cookie, and brownie taste good? Of course! Was it worth it? Probably not. I should have just had 1 of the 4.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I hate that quote, mostly because I used it to "help" with my disordered eating years ago.
  • rouxinol115
    rouxinol115 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Some of you's haven't heard of tortilla chips.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do make a conscious decision to not eat something because I don't want to go over my calorie goal for the day. Other days, I decide to go over on purpose, knowing I could gain 0.5 pounds by doing so. Generally speaking, I'd rather be thin (and, hopefully, more healthy) than eat the chocolate cake.
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Skinnyfat kids like me know that this isn't true, because being skinny still feels like being out of breath after taking the stairs😜
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think the quote is toxic AF, it doesn’t promote a healthy relationship with food. It promotes restriction which leads to a variety of eating disorders. 🥲
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty terrible old thread from 2011. I wonder if a spammer (since deleted) woke it up?

If I compared a minute or few of eating my favorite calorie-dense thing to the same minute or few of being thin, the food might win. That's not how it works, though.

Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is about balancing between momentary pleasure, and long-term well-being, getting the sensible amount of each. The quote is snappy, maybe cute, but useless in that life-balance context, IMO.