Feeling sick when eating Carbs

Options
I have stopped eating carbs like cereal, bread, pasta etc as part of a low carb/ high protein diet. (But still fruit and veg).

Had some cereal today as trying to up my calories and has made me feel really sick and bloated. Has anyone else encountered this?

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    YEP i always feel crappy if i increase my crabs.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a low carb diet (Medifast), highly processed foods (most of which are high carb) would give the runs or make me feel practically hung over. Drink lots of water and listen to your body. It's normal though. Processed foods are harder to digest.
  • ArtistisTrista
    ArtistisTrista Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. Not just with carbs though. Once in awhile I "indulge" a little on the weekend. IE: I had a piece of pizza on Saturday. I could barely get through it and my stomach was killing me. Same goes for anything with a lot of sugar or grease. I would take it slow if you want to introduce carbs back in your diet. Just to avoid that sick feeling. :]
  • donnadaniels
    donnadaniels Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont want to offend anyone by saying this. BUT this is an examply why no carb diets dont work. They work for the temporary, but not for the lifetime. Try introducing healtier carbs, slowly, your body will relearn how to process them properly.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You may have a problem with gluten. Do you have any problems if you eat something like rice instead of cereal? Could be the milk too.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that people who go off carbs that when they go back on them, they get REALLY sick and gain back all of their weight, too. Feel better!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You need carbs. Period. Especially if you are exercising (which if you are trying to lose weight should be mandatory). Carbs are the fuel you need.

The problem is the type of carbs we eat are garbage. And as such our bodies reflect the type of garbage we put into them.
  • safiresp04
    Options
    The issue may be a little more serious than you think. A friend of mine would have the same issue and was finally diagnosed with Celiac's. This means that she cannot eat wheat, rye or barley. You should pay attention to what you're eating and how you're feeling after you eat it and call your doctor. It can't hurt to get checked out.

While Celiac's is a bit of a pain, there are a lot of options out there - healthy and unhealthy. There are also a lot of restaurants that are learning to cater to people with a gluten sensitivity/intolerance. Just because you go gluten-free, it doesn't automatically mean you're eating healthier, so you still have to be careful! But there are tasty options, and it doesn't mean you have to go 100% no-carb.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating carbs like cereal, bread, pasta etc as part of a low carb/ high protein diet. (But still fruit and veg).

Had some cereal today as trying to up my calories and has made me feel really sick and bloated. Has anyone else encountered this?

Yep. You get to feel what they do to you. I used to think "sick and bloated" was normal after eating a meal. I eat protein and fats and I get full but it is a very different kind of full - a pleasant full. Up your calories with some almonds or macadamias or eat a bit more fruit. I'll even have some dark chocolate (Lindt 85% Dark Cocoa bar has 5g of sugar in 4 squares - and it's hard to eat that much - it's so rich). I'll take little bites and just let it melt in my mouth.
  • GyronMaines
    Options
    I'm on a relatively low carb diet myself. I feel sluggish and bloated whenever I eat too many carbs. I've restricted my daily carb intake to 200g and increased my fat and protein intake.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I dont want to offend anyone by saying this. BUT this is an examply why no carb diets dont work. They work for the temporary, but not for the lifetime. Try introducing healtier carbs, slowly, your body will relearn how to process them properly.

This! It's not Carbs in general it's healthy carbs, whole wheat and grains. I notice that when I eat too much white flour, white rice, white sugar/corn syrup products I feel awful. I also agree that maybe there is something pyshiological, like a sensitivity to certain carb items :( Good luck!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    You may have a problem with gluten. Do you have any problems if you eat something like rice instead of cereal? Could be the milk too.

This. Sounds like Gluten or lactose intolerance to me. The two generally go hand in hand since gluten intolerance often causes lactose intolerance because of damage done to your GI tract.
  • JohnnyChristian
    Options
    Stick with fruit if refined grains are making you bloated.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You need carbs. Period. Especially if you are exercising (which if you are trying to lose weight should be mandatory). Carbs are the fuel you need.

The problem is the type of carbs we eat are garbage. And as such our bodies reflect the type of garbage we put into them.

If she has gluten issues than, no, she doesn't NEED carbs - especially grain carbs. No one NEEDS carbs. Fat is our fuel source. Too much sugar in the blood is toxic so that's take priority over burning fat but carbs aren't the body's preferred source of fuel - fat is. It they were we would have unlimited storage (like our fat storage). The body can make glucose if it needs glucose. And veggies and fruits contain carbs. There is no such thing as an essential dietary carbohydrate.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    She didn't say she wasn't eating no carbs. You can get plenty of carbs from fruits and veggies. The problem was when she added the cereal. If it doesn't happen with all grains, you should probably get an appointment with your doctor to evaluate whether you have a sensitivity to certain grains. Celiacs disease is one of the possibilities.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options

What's the logical leap from "eating carbs makes me sick" to "no carb diets don't work"? And if the OP is possibly gluten intolerant or has celiac's, then this is some really dangerous advice.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be gluten sensitive.

Low carb can be highly effective and cutting out processed foods like cereal, pasta, and rice is a great step to avoiding that bloated feeling.

However, if you are looking to up your calories, I'd suggest doing it with protein and other things such as nuts and seeds. You get the calories and other nutrients and healthy fats needed to make your diet well balanced.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

If she has gluten issues than, no, she doesn't NEED carbs - especially grain carbs. No one NEEDS carbs. Fat is our fuel source. Too much sugar in the blood is toxic so that's take priority over burning fat but carbs aren't the body's preferred source of fuel - fat is. It they were we would have unlimited storage (like our fat storage). The body can make glucose if it needs glucose. And veggies and fruits contain carbs. There is no such thing as an essential dietary carbohydrate.

Technically, yes. You could go off carbs completely, but it's not super healthy for a lot of people. And I think in these discussions people use "carbs" as some sort of specific term, when it's really much more general than that. I got into a discussion with someone at work once who said they removed all carbs from their diet. She said this as she was eating carrots. /facepalm.

It's really a personal thing. I do ok with slower carbs (steel cut oats) but not others. Monitoring the glycemic load and keeping it low seems to be a good indicator as to what's going to make me feel like crap or not.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You should not feel sick, bloated after eating a normal amount of food. Symptoms of gluten intollerance include; feeling overly full or bloated after eating foods with wheat, rye, or barley; chronic loose bowels and /or constipation (I alternated); very smelly bm; pain in the gut (I always desribed mine as a brick in my low abdomen); lots of gas; nasea. Those with sever conditions can also experience a rash (kind of like a pimple or mesquito bite) on their arms around the elbow, knees, back and other bony areas. The rash can be severe and is seriously itchy. If you have some or all of these symptoms, you do want to avoid food with wheat, rye, and barley. I am gluten intolerant and my aunt is celiac. Try eliminating just those foods, but eat other types of carbs, like rice, potatos, fruit, etcto see what happens. Symptoms usually go away in 3-5 days. If the symptoms go away, reintroduce the gluten foods back into your dient to see if the symptoms re-appear. If they do, call a reputable GI doctor to be evaluated. The symptoms don't mean you are celiac, but you could be severaly intollerant like me. There is a blood test for celiac, but you need to be eating gluten to be sure to get an accurate result. Hope this helps.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    You should not feel sick, bloated after eating a normal amount of food. Symptoms of gluten intolerance include; feeling overly full or bloated after eating foods with wheat, rye, or barley; chronic loose bowels and /or constipation (I alternated); very smelly bm; pain in the gut (I always described mine as a brick in my low abdomen); lots of gas; nausea. Those with sever conditions can also experience a rash (kind of like a pimple or mosquito bite) on their arms around the elbow, knees, back and other bony areas. The rash can be severe and is seriously itchy. If you have some or all of these symptoms, you do want to avoid food with wheat, rye, and barley. I am gluten intolerant and my aunt is celiac. Try eliminating just those foods, but eat other types of carbs, like rice, potatoes, fruit, etc to see what happens. Symptoms usually go away in 3-5 days. If the symptoms go away, reintroduce the gluten foods back into your diet to see if the symptoms re-appear. If they do, call a reputable GI doctor to be evaluated. The symptoms don't mean you are celiac, but you could be severely intolerant like me. There is a blood test for celiac, but you need to be eating gluten to be sure to get an accurate result. Hope this helps.

I get migrains and brain fogs when I get glutened. I equated my gut pain to eating broken glass laced with arsenic...