May 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    edited May 2022
    Welcome @AbnerCrew !

@Teresa502 I hope your back is okay and you don't have a reoccurrence.

Welcome @SavageMrsMoose ! Awesome that you ran Boston!

Great run @SummerSkier !

Hahaha @polskagirl01 . I think you are right. Your mind is made up. It sounds like a great run and a great cause.

@Avidkeo I don't think it hit me as hard as you, even though I do wonder if part of my heart issues and fatigue could be long covid symptoms. Anyway, I just did what I could and built back up. I think you are doing the right thing and you might find that you all of a sudden feel wonderful and can push it again. Just do what feels right and listen to your body. Guess that wasn't very helpful, was it?

@marisap2010 It is hard to run in the Zones sometimes. Sounds like you are doing great though. Are you doing his marathon plan too?

Loved the video @shanaber ! It would not have been half as interesting if they didn't put the "bloopers" in there.

@kgirlhart Nice long run today!

@katharmonic One thing I have learned is that you can't do anything about the past, but you can learn from it and do better moving forward. Sounds like you and your friend have a solid plan.

Sunday's are my rest day, so I just went out and walked a mile on the driveway after my afternoon nap.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @quilteryoyo Yes, I will be following the Marathon level 2 plan.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @quilteryoyo it was very helpful. Others at work have said it took them a month to get back to normal
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @quilteryoyo-I enjoyed the bloopers too and found there was good information embedded in-between.

Welcome @SavageMrsMoose and @AbnerCrew!

@katharmonic - I find myself having to recommit every now and then. Glad you have friends to help you get back into it.

@Avidkeo - I hope you are feeling better soon but like others have said, take it slow and work your way back into your running plan.

I got out for a 5.5mi run today, it was lovely weather, low 70's and ~50% humidity and I was very hopeful that it would be a great run. Unfortunately my arm was not interested in participating. I tried but had to walk or even stop when it hurt. I sure hope PT helps but I am beyond frustrated... Tomorrow is another day though and I will get out and try it again.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    edited May 2022
    @shanaber You're determination is amazing. Hang in there. Fingers crossed that PT will help.

@Avidkeo So glad that you were able to defer your HM to next year! Now you won't feel pressured to do more than you should. Fast walking is a great way to burn off some frustration too....or a nice quiet stroll. Whatever feels right. I didn't know that you had chest pains. If that continues, you probably should go see a cardiologist. Seems like a lot of people I know are having some heart related issues once they have had CoVID. They seem to resolve themselves eventually, but you may need some meds to help in the meantime.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    @avidkeo This article had a lot of useful info and good insight into some of the things to consider with returning to exercise. It focuses on recreational athletes which I appreciated because a lot of the original studies have looked at elites, olympians, and young athletes. COVID and recreational athletes
    The short and sweet is that the time to recovery is variable and the symptoms are all over the place. But it does highlight some major areas of concern and things to keep an eye out for. I know some folks here have gotten back on track pretty fast but I also know people who are struggling a few months later. They are back to activity but notice the loss of fitness and question whether it will ever fully return. I hope your recovery continues well. Take it easy!!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    May totals: 3.2/100 miles

3/2: 3.2 miles

Recovery 3 miles this morning. We had a storm last night with high winds, hail, the works. As a result there were a ton of downed branches and little twigs on the sidewalks this morning. Made for a heavy game of stick or snake? Probably a hundred sticks and 1 small copperhead. And 1 rabbit!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Not sure what I'll do. Guessing 65-75. We'll say 70 to split the difference.

Our air quality has been *kitten* because of a couple wildfires already. My lungs were struggling this morning but still got in 3.48 today and 5.1 yesterday

8.59 / 70
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @martaindale - thanks for that article. I passed it on to a friend who has covid now. She was my friend who signed me up for my first HM and ran it with me years ago. She doesn't run as much anymore but is a Crossfit star in her age group. I know it is going to be tough on her going back into the gym!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    @shanaber I've saved that REI video to watch later, thanks. Like any runner I do love my shoes and have plenty (currently have 10 pair in rotation, 8 pair in reserve) but any insight into buying more shoes is always good. I use a variety of drops, weight and cushion level. Oddly, in figuring out this foot pain I've been having I've found two pair which I used to love are now aggravating the pain and one pair I used to hate (bought on clearance on a whim without trying it on first) is now one of my favorite pair.

@polskagirl01 - "get as much mountain time as I can" <- yes! I wish I had mountains around here to get time on, but the wooded hills will have to suffice. That 24 hour run sounds wonderful. Great cause and time in the forest is a good for the soul.

@Avidkeo I think just like covid itself, recovery can be very different in different people. My son and I both had it last November. I was able to run 4 miles just 4 days after symptoms appeared, then got hit with fatigue for a couple weeks, but was able to run a 10 mile trail race 2.5 weeks after symptoms first appeared. My fatigue would come and go after that such that I might be able to run week, but no running the next week until finally a month and a half after symptoms first appeared I was back to running normally. Until I felt I was past the issue, I did as much as my body would let me and didn't feel bad about not running if I felt I needed the rest. All the while, my wife was NOT happy about me running as much as I did, particularly the race. I see you were able to defer, which is great!

@marisap2010 it sounds like you're being smart in your approach to training, and to you May goal.
    @kgirlhart congrats on a great start to May!
    @katharmonic I think @quilteryoyo says it well...look forward rather than dwell on the past. Having a friend for mutual accountability is a great thing to have!
    @martaindale Thanks for that article. I've saved it for later reading.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    02.05: 3.2km in 26min 10 stride repeats

Not a good start. Started feeling dizzy after dinner and needed a lot of convincing to go out. The stride repeats went well, but instead of a 10 minute cooldown I gave up after around 5 minutes. Used new running shoes for the first time in 2000k :D Yay, I finally seem to have found a pair of shoes that fit. Sames ones as the previous ones but just a slightly newer model. Wish it was winter though as they are pink and there's one colour I don't want to be seen with... yeah. :#
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Ah, what the heck. Lets see if I manage to run 60km this month
    bzvq1e9y8an3.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,707 Member
    edited May 2022
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The run started out in light rain, wind, and mid 45F but the rain was short lived and I was able to keep my clothes on.

:D:D:D