May 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    May totals: 13/100 miles

3/2: 3.2 miles
    3/3: 6.6 miles
    3/4: 3.2 miles

30 minute progression run this morning. Managed to see appropriate drop then rise of the pace. I think I got down to 10k pace for a short time (the target peak pace), though it looks like I wasn’t there very long.
    My legs felt good this morning, so I think the new shoes will be a nice addition to the rotation for speed days. I wondered if I would feel any stiffness this morning after running in the less cushioned shoe. I think I need to go try on some Asics @Scott6255. You’re not the only person I have had recommend them to me as an alternative to the ghost. I don’t want to completely upend my shoe rotation but adding in some variety could probably benefit me.
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Went out a few minutes after 6 this morning and the sky was already getting light with streaks of blue and pink in the East. Temp was in the mid-50s. A perfect morning for running. I got in 5.23 miles. I tried to focus on shorter steps but even though my overall average pace was 45 seconds faster per mile than yesterday, my average cadence was lower.

This sounds absolutely beautiful! I have mile repeats this afternoon... I'll be fine with them, but it's like I have to mentally prepare for them, lol.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    4 miles for May the Fourth. ;)

I just read about a family that ran a marathon together. With their 6-year-old kid. I'm not a parent or doctor so I might be out of line but this feels like too much for a little kid? They posted a photo at the halfway point and he looked miserable.
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    4 miles for May the Fourth. ;)

I just read about a family that ran a marathon together. With their 6-year-old kid. I'm not a parent or doctor so I might be out of line but this feels like too much for a little kid? They posted a photo at the halfway point and he looked miserable.

Not a doctor, but I am a parent and I could NEVER get my kid to run a marathon at age 6. 100 yard dash? sure. Around the block? ehh... not likely. A full marathon?! That's nuts. Either that kid has an incredible future in endurance sports... or may need a lot of therapy.
  • martaindale

Yeah, a marathon is too much for a kid that age. Guidelines I was able to find generally look like the ones below, with little tweaks in age. These are pretty close to what race organizers will allow as a minimum age of entry for the longer distances at races I have entered (at least the ones where I have noticed age limits posted). I have seen plenty of races that will allow 5 and up for a 5k and 10 and up for a 10k. That seems reasonable depending on your child.

yiajcwajbj4c.png

• martaindale
    @Faebert So glad to see you back! That fall sounds brutal. You are right, trying is all you can do. Keep it up!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited May 2022

Yeah, a marathon is too much for a kid that age. Guidelines I was able to find generally look like the ones below, with little tweaks in age. These are pretty close to what race organizers will allow as a minimum age of entry for the longer distances at races I have entered (at least the ones where I have noticed age limits posted). I have seen plenty of races that will allow 5 and up for a 5k and 10 and up for a 10k. That seems reasonable depending on your child.

yiajcwajbj4c.png

Yah, I saw similar guidelines when I looked it up. My nephews sometimes join us in 5ks but Mom or Dad always have the stroller if they get tired. The oldest, at 6, sometimes didn't want to walk/run the entire way. I can't imagine making him run a marathon!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @polskagirl01, I agree with the others and would count the hike as a recovery run.

@RunsOnEspresso That is crazy that a kid ran the marathon! You know he probably had no desire to do it and the parents just wanted to make news for having the whole family to do it. You know he had nothing close to marathon training, so it is a miracle he didn't fall out during the race.

@Faebert, I'm sorry to hear about your fall! I know it is tough to get back into it, but you can do it!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    My plan had me do 40 minutes in Z1 tonight, so hubby and I went for a walk, because I just can't run slow enough to stay in Z1. 1.56 miles.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get up again and run before work to avoid the projected 95 degrees tomorrow afternoon.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    @Faebert, sorry about your fall from the ladder. That sounds really painful. You have had a rough couple of years ❣️😥 Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    May Goal: 100 Miles

5/1: 12.03 miles
    5/2: 2.02 miles
    5/3: 5.05 miles

19.10/100 miles completed for May

I ran 5 miles this morning. It was chillier than I expected it to be. It was about 55°F, but there was a 15mph North wind. I was a little underdressed. I was surprised that it was so cool. It t is supposed to be over 100 this weekend.

@Faebert I am glad you are back and on the road to recovery.

@RunsOnEspresso I can't imagine having a 6 year old run a marathon.

exercise.png

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,067 Member
    I've had a bit of a slow start to the month and going to aim for 30 miles again.

05/05 3.38 miles
    3.38/30 miles

exercise.png

Welcome back @Faebert - Ur accident sounds awful but your back! For me I keep telling myself 'Slow and steady Marissa and U'll get there'.

@elenorhawkins - love the term Evil Coach, souds like u have a hell of a month planned.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    @elenorhawkins glad to see you back. Sounds like you have been busy. Great job on those races. And feeling excitified is a great new word! I love our new vocabulary 😁
    You are in Spain right? My daughter is going to Barcelona next month for a mission trip. Any insider info I can pass along to her on what to look out for, and / or what to stay away from?
  • martaindale
    @eleanorhawkins Sounds like you made the right decision regarding the club training if you felt relieved. It's good you are listening to what your body needs for some recovery time. I'm so glad you're finally going to get to see your family. It has been a long time!