Co-workers make me angry!!!

Options
Let me first start off by saying my start weight was 135 and my goal weight is 110. I have lost 12 pounds in six weeks. Okay now that is out of the way!

I have three co-workers who really piss me off! Two of them are obese and constantly complain every single day about their weight. (sometimes even cry) yet every single day they come into work with mcdonalds and various nasty junk food. They buy every weight loss scam/pill/supplement. and then they talk about how diet and excersize doesn't work. This really really annoys and discourages me in my own efforts. At first I tried to help them out with MFP or a workout schedule... But their efforts only last a few days. I am so tired of them being so negative because it's really a matter of their own self control. Now, it wouldn't be so bad if that was all I had to deal with.

It seems like because they have no idea how to lose weight themselves they judge me and my decisions on diet. I had a slice of cheese pizza for lunch and they all commented on how horrible that is for me. "I thought you were supposed to be on a diet?" or "really you're eating that for lunch?"*shaming looks* even though I mention I'm consistently stay below or at my calorie goal they treat me like a complete idiot when I eat something they deem "unhealthy".

I ate a cookie last week which was 150 calories. I was upset with myself because I brought a banana and for two chocolatey bites I could have eaten a large filling banana.I said "man I shouldn't have eaten that." I got comments like "oh shut up Rain, it's just a cookie. "

Do y'all have anyone who does this or

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sorry...

** or something similar? How do you tune out the negativity?
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. We're all adults, it's simple really.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options

It seems like because they have no idea how to lose weight themselves they judge me and my decisions on diet. I had a slice of cheese pizza for lunch and they all commented on how horrible that is for me. "I thought you were supposed to be on a diet?" or "really you're eating that for lunch?"*shaming looks* even though I mention I'm consistently stay below or at my calorie goal they treat me like a complete idiot when I eat something they deem "unhealthy".

Go the sweet, so-stinkingly nice route that they'll hopefully leave you alone. "Thanks Ms. Co-worker for watching my eating so closely. If it wasn't for your diligence I couldn't have lost the 12 pounds I already lost! You are wonderful! Would you like me to do the same for you? We can be diet buddies!"
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    yep..my bf does...complains about being fat and eats mcdonals TWICE a day and doesnt understand that i NEED to go to the gym and dont want that king size candy bar he just bought me
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lighten up. Many of us have been there...
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just keep looking in the mirror and smile. That should keep you positive!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Your results speak for themselves. Don't worry about anybody else.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I think we all know at least one person like that. You are doing great. Don't listen to them.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I work with some people like that, that can not keep their comments to their selves and it is just pure stupidity that flows from their mouths! They always say things like you need to give your body what it needs, you can't eat all those fruits and veggies and egg whites all the time your body needs stuff it is used too. I say well the stuff my body WAS used to like Mcdonald's and junk food is not healthy for me and is why I am now overweight! I just want to yell "shut the hell up"! So, do not worry you are not a lone, do what you know is right for you and your body!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wow that is so stupid and frustrating. I'd throw it back to em next time they bring in something "unhealthy". I feel like this. If I bring a cookie to work first of all you don't know what kind it is (could be a Kashi or homemade made w/applesauce) and second of all I could have "budgeted" my calories to eat it so get off me hoe!!
    Next time they say something just say "trust me I'm fine I've already burned xxx calories today" or "don't worry I'll burn it off when I work out later".
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! That would get so annoying!
    Tbh, I don't really talk to a lot of people about my efforts. I do know people who I think would act this way, so I don't share that part of my life with them much, kwim? I don't need their support, and they aren't going to offer it anyway. I do get comment that I find pretty eye roll- worthy, but I know the truth, so I have to just let those run off my back,kwim? I'm sure hats easier said than done with people you work with though!
    Good luck!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Worry about and focus on yourself.
    For years I have listened to a variety of people try and tell me how to be thinner, smarter, better, etc.
    The reality is that only my efforts will bring about any changes in my life. For those who offer support, thanks. For those who have only negativity to pass around, sorry, I cannot hear you!

Good luck on your journey
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i think we have all heard all of those things. People just want to critisize
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Go the sweet, so-stinkingly nice route that they'll hopefully leave you alone. "Thanks Ms. Co-worker for watching my eating so closely. If it wasn't for your diligence I couldn't have lost the 12 pounds I already lost! You are wonderful! Would you like me to do the same for you? We can be diet buddies!"

I should totally do this! Haha, :P

Just gosh, I wish they would worry about themselves instead of me!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't really let other people's lifestyles get to me. You can't save them all, especially the ones that don't want saving. Some people just would rather have something to ***** about, and that's their thing not mine. I encourage, stopped preaching, and just live my life and hope maybe some of it rubs off. I don't fret over 150 c cookie every once in a while (but occassionally do fret about an explosive weekend), and I think that makes a big difference. I've don't really have people look at my food unapprovingly, and on the occiassion that someone has something to say about what I'm eating I reply "skinny girls don't eat salad." It's hard for people who aren't living it to understand that this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle, which means that everything fits into it in moderation . . . even the fatty salad dressing they're heaping on their "healthy" salads.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    understand 100% but what they dont understand is how bodies work. like you said, they only know scams, pills, quick fixes...see we and most of people here on mfp can eat a cookie, or a slice of pizza, but it's not over board, we know what we are putting into our bodies and what it takes to burn it off, or not. You have a power honey, of knowing how the body works, them they only know the menu to mcdonalds, let them be. If you want to get snippy when they do, just say, well, yea i am eating a cookie, the difference is i'll eat only one, not half a box...cheer up girl!!! and also cheers to you on trying to help them, but hey they will get their wake up call one day and look back and think of you...
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I find it best not to tell people I"m trying to lose weight. This way they can't judge. I've lost 15 lbs so far and I get lots of compliments on how good I look, but no one would say anything to me about what I eat b/c clearly what I'm doing is working for me. As far as their complaining about their own weight and eating habits...resist the urge to smack them upside the head....there's nothing you can do about it. Some people find it easier to complain than to put in the work and get results.
  • nica8605
    nica8605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Congrats on your weightloss and for making your health your priority! Your co-workers are probably not capable of supporting you or celebrating your successes. You really can't help people when they don't want it, and the issue your co-workers have with their own weight and your weight is just that: THEIR issues. I think you've stumbled onto a taboo topic with your co-workers and it's probably best that when it comes to eating/dieting/splurges you find more supportive, confident people to talk over those issues with...like us!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You just need to find your way of cooping with it. This is just another part of your weightloss journey that you need the learn how to handle. You need to build up the strenght and courage to not only ignore them but also confront them. You doing this makes them feel weak and thats why they pick on you, dont give them the satisfaction of allowing them to break your state!