Why is 73 degrees in my office so COLD?

I love heat. I would much prefer to be hot than cold. I grew up in Nevada and central valley of California (and live in MN now). I'm good with 100 degrees and dry.

I hate being cold. Now that I am 123 lbs I am freaking cold all the time! I am in my office, and the thermometer says 73 degrees, and I have a sweatshirt on and my hands are freezing. UGH! I need some coffee to warm up!

Replies

• fordinajeep
    fordinajeep Posts: 6 Member
    I have a friend like that, she is probably 5'4" tall and fit. We all went camping, it was 84 degrees out and she was sitting by the fire in sweatpants and a hoodie. I was like....wow :D
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Might not be related to your weight at all ... but to something else ... perhaps you ought to tell your MD about it and see what is advised. ...
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    FWIW, I have noticed that 73 degrees in my office feels much colder than 73 degrees at home. I'm not sure if one of the thermostats is off or if it's something else. Maybe it's because if I am in my office, I am already sleep-deprived and I always get cold when I'm tired. Maybe it's because I don't move as much as I do at home. I am not sure, but it always seems cold.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Cold during/after weight loss - that wasn't an issue before - can be one sign of adaptive thermogenesis, i.e., a hint that a diet break**, or a reverse diet, might be helpful.

Sometimes being cold is just being cold, though! (And X temperature at low humidity will potentially feel different than X temperature at higher humidity . . . a lot of offices are too dry - low humidity: Not ideal.

**http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    For me personally, I have also found that as I lost weight, I felt colder at the same temperatures that used to be comfortable, or even warm.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,322 Member
    I’d love to swap - I’m always hot! The office is c69F but I’m happiest at around 64. I’ve always been like a furnace - my OH uses me as a hot water bottle. And you can’t exactly strip off in the office.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    One 20C day and the hospital's turned the AC on 🥶
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    If you are sitting all day, 73 can be chilly to me. Moving around off and on all day...it would feel a bit better. Is it rainy or humid where you are at too? If the temp is on a cooler side and it is rainy or humid, it feels like the cold goes straight to my bones...like today! But, if this becomes a big issue for you, you might want to have your iron checked and additional blood work done in order to rule out any other possible causes.