Goal to lose 31 kg in the next 6 months

Options
Hi All,

Please advise me if I’m going bonkers. My goal is to lose 31 kg in the next 6 month so approximately 1.5 kg per week. I’m already planning on fasting every monday and thursday and cutting off majority of sugars so far I might have a few biscuits but as a treat.

I eat faily clean and just came off 30 days fasting the month of Ramadan ( technically 24 as I am a Muslim woman so we don’t fast when we are on our period), but I did fast already 2 days so 26 in total.

Anyways enough ramblings: I’ve cut out take away food and only eat food made at home by myself.

Also reduced red meat and chicken. I’m a big fan of fish 😀.

Any tips and advise?

Thanks 🙏

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    That is an extremely aggressive goal, and likely not possible to do in a healthy way, unless you are very, very obese.
    What is your current height and weight?
  • Amriki
    Amriki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Salaam alaykum
    Im down 24kg in 140 days, it can be done. Without exercise. My wife is down 16kg in the same time.
    No exercise. Really.
    1) make dua for weight loss quickly, easily and safely. I did this on 25DEC during tawaf for umrah at 143 kg. (317lbs)
    2) Carbs 25g per day to reset leptin. Its paleo but at 25g carbs its only what you get by accident from vegetables and dairy. So no biscuits....ok well we did have Al Baik a few days back but burned a ton of cals on another umrah so thats my story and Im sticking to it.
    3) Fasting sunnah as you said, consider
    adding "white days" but make your intention for deen

My account is open if you want to have a look, ribeye tonight again yella bismillah.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Amriki wrote: »
    Salaam alaykum
    Im down 24kg in 140 days, it can be done. Without exercise. My wife is down 16kg in the same time.
    No exercise. Really.
    1) make dua for weight loss quickly, easily and safely. I did this on 25DEC during tawaf for umrah at 143 kg. (317lbs)
    2) Carbs 25g per day to reset leptin. Its paleo but at 25g carbs its only what you get by accident from vegetables and dairy. So no biscuits....ok well we did have Al Baik a few days back but burned a ton of cals on another umrah so thats my story and Im sticking to it.

My account is open if you want to have a look, ribeye tonight again yella bismillah.

Because something can be done, doesn't mean it should. A fast weight loss can bring multiple health problems and should be done only under a doctors supervision. I would also point out that most people don't put on 31 kilos in 6 months. Why oh why do you think it's a good idea to lose it in that time frame? Patience and persistence for health.
  • Amriki
    Amriki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aint my first rodeo, been on here since 2013. Try or dont its up to her. My BP and pulse are both down as well.
    Im a nurse also, since 1980.

Over 7000 posts?
  • Simplynim
    Simplynim Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is an extremely aggressive goal, and likely not possible to do in a healthy way, unless you are very, very obese.

Hi,

I weight 89kg so yes I am obese and My height is 5 ft 6, and so I want to get down to 58 kilogram by November.

This means losing I don’t know 1.5 kg per week should be doable.
  • Simplynim
    Options
    aint my first rodeo, been on here since 2013. Try or dont its up to her. My BP and pulse are both down as well.

Over 7000 posts?

Thank you, and yes I’m planning to also will be ditching the biscuits too, might be a miserable life but 6 months will go by quick:)
  • Simplynim
    Options
    Salaam alaykum
    No exercise. Really.

Thank you and Wa Aleikuma Salam, and will be ditching the biscuits as of now 16:32 ;)

Good luck on your journey and I will actually keep a log of this anyone who is interested to join me let me know.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,080 Member
    Options
    Simplynim wrote: »

Hi,

I weight 89kg so yes I am obese and My height is 5 ft 6, and so I want to get down to 58 kilogram by November.

This means losing I don’t know 1.5 kg per week should be doable.

I'm 5'5", started at 83kg, lost to about 57kg, have stayed around that weight since (6+ years).

Staying at a healthy weight permanently is a good goal, IMO. That puts a priority on finding sustainable habits. Making yourself miserable temporarily is an entirely different path. Somewhere along the line, you'll need to figure out how not to "go back to normal" with eating and activity level, if you would like to avoid regain.

You get to choose your path, yes. There are downsides to fast lost. I lost the 26kg in just under a year. I lost some of it too fast, by accident. (I define "too fast" as something that felt fine and doable at first, but suddenly resulted in feeling weak and fatigued, taking multiple weeks to recover back to normal. No one needs that. In my case, I say "by accident", because it happened on account of MFP underestimating my calorie needs. That's not common, but it can happen.)

Over 7000 posts?

If it "ain't your first rodeo", does that mean you've lost weight and regained it, since 2013? Just curious: That's a common story.

But I have over 20,000 posts over my 7 years here, which I guess you consider some kind of negative indication? 🤷‍♀️
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Over 7000 posts?

I'm surprised that you're a nurse. I've been on here a long time too--that doesn't mean anything. That doesn't mean you're right, and it doesn't mean that I'm right.

However, as a nurse, you should know the risks. If you've been here so long your weight loss should have been successful and you should have been maintaining all this time. What happened? Why the need to lose so much again? And so fast? The successful people on here go slow with their loss, maintain muscle mass, and give their skin a chance to shrink along with their loss. That is what I would recommend that the OP do. As you said--it's on her.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    OP, listen to the posters with thousands of posts, versus the one with two. These people have been here for years, and have been very helpful through my own substantial weight loss, and into maintenance.

My personal observation, having been here for nearly four years now, is that the people who post and participate regularly have the greatest chance of both success and maintenance, because they are wholly engaged. Many continue then to ”pay it forward” by providing solid advice and support,

You have a wealth of experience and knowledge at your fingertips, if you’re willing to take advantage of it.

Focus less on speed of loss, and more on quality of loss. Are you learning new habits, finding new foods, exercise? You don’t want to hit goal and fall back into old habits. If you need proof, look at all the “I’m back” posts here.
  • Simplynim
    Options
    OP, listen to the posters with thousands of posts, versus the one with two. These people have been here for years, and have been very helpful through my own substantial weight loss, and into maintenance.

My personal observation, having been here for nearly four years now, is that the people who post and participate regularly have the greatest chance of both success and maintenance, because they are wholly engaged. Many continue then to ”pay it forward” by providing solid advice and support,

You have a wealth of experience and knowledge at your fingertips, if you’re willing to take advantage of it.

Focus less on speed of loss, and more on quality of loss. Are you learning new habits, finding new foods, exercise? You don’t want to hit goal and fall back into old habits. If you need proof, look at all the “I’m back” posts here.

Thank you for your kind words and you are right it’s about lifestyle changes. Also I will be researching and taking the advice thank you once again

• Simplynim
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My tip would be to look ahead not just 6 months, but 18 months, 24 months etc. etc.

Common mistake people make is making a hard job even harder along with a focus on trying to fix a long term problem with a very short term mindset.

Your true success isn't measured at the 6 months point but in the years stretching ahead of you.

Imagine you were given a difficult task at work.....
    Two things you wouldn't do would be actively making that difficult task even harder and then reducing the timescale to unreasonable levels for no good reason.
    Just like work tasks or projects the chances of success go up when you make it easier and allocate enough time for the job.

Very true, I guess being slightly naive and inexperienced with loosing weight, is the issue here.

I will be seeing how it works and the goal post can always be moved to 8-10-12- and even 18 months, after all I also want to get stronger and firmer, and that will take time mentally and physically.

Thanks again everyone for such lovely welcome and advice, I also wish you all best of luck with your journey ahead.

Nim
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'd say one of the biggest issues with this is an assumption that you will lose weight in a linear fashion over 6 months. You won't...it just doesn't work that way. Just by it's nature, losing weight isn't a linear process...it's up and down and all around. Aggressive weight loss goals also tend to invite greater adaptive thermogenesis, particularly down the road. Adaptive thermogenesis is something that occurs with aggressive calorie restriction where your body will attempt to conserve energy (affecting your calories out) by slowing down or shutting down altogether what it deems to be "non-essential" functions. This is where you hear stories of lost menstrual cycles, hair thinning or falling out, nails becoming brittle, etc. All of these functions require energy (calories). It often also results in greater fatigue and therefore less daily movement which again decreases your overall calories out.

You should also consider that you won't be able to sustain the same rate of loss as you shrink. As you get smaller, your TDEE (maintenance requirements) goes down...so as you go, the deficit shrinks and weight loss slows. Someone with a reasonable calorie deficit can adjust for this by dropping their calories a little lower or increasing activity...but if you're already at the bottom in regards to requisite calories you really have nowhere to go other than very low calories which again can affect your overall health.

I was never personally really into putting a time frame on my weight loss. It causes a lot of stress just due to the nature of losing weight, but also the necessary rigidity...there really isn't a whole lot of flexibility for things that just come up in life and will always come up in life...birthdays...holidays...anniversaries and other special occasions...vacations, etc. This is also a really good time to start cultivating healthy habits that you will need to take into maintenance. People tend to think of their goal weight as the finish line and they're done...the reality is that everything before maintenance has just been training and practice for the real race ahead. Goal weight isn't the finish line, it's the starting line of the real, forever race ahead.