Fruit and vegtables

Options
Hi All,

Just joined today and this is the first time ive ever counted calories! Can you tell me if you count your fruit and vegtables? I would like to eat vegtables alot to fill me up at dinner time and like a couple of tangerines in the afternoon in my work.

Thanks
Paula

P.S Please add me as a friend, ive not got many and could do with the moral support!

Replies

• jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should be counting everything. At least in the beginning. It gives you an idea of what all of the foods you are eating are like in terms of nutritional info......fat......fiber.....protein.....carbs....etc.

Some of the foods you may be eating could be rather eye-opening in terms of calorie content. You'd be surprised how many of your daily calories you can burn through on fruit.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Some people don't....I count EVERYTHING! Good luck!
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    I count everything I eat. There are lots of veggies that have close to no calories, but not all of them. If you don't want to count veggies, that's probably okay most of the time, but I'd definitely count fruits. Most are between 50-100 calories per, so it can really add up.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I say yes, track everything. Fruits and veggies are healthier choices but they do still have calories. You might as well collect all the data you can so that you can start to see relationships between what you eat, how you feel, and how much weight you lose or gain.
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome....I count everything too!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not you can put on weight over eating fruits and veggies. Everything has calories so make sure you count everything. Some spices are even high it calories but I don't get too crazy with that :smile:
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you stick with non-starchy veggies you will be fine. Fruits I limit to berries. You should record everything you eat.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. It helps you to be more accountable and realize your eating patterns.

Sending a friend request now! :)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I count everything I eat. Even though vegetables are lower in calories, they still have calories. Fruits are even higher in calories, i.e. bananas, oranges, etc.
  • paula341
    Options
    :happy: WOW! Thanks for all your replies! Such great support on these boards!

I was hoping you all would say no need to count but i had an idea i would have too count! haha!

Thanks again :happy:
  • Rajrand
    Options
    there are many school of thoughts - some will advice to ignore and some will recoomend you to add. I am one of those who ignored and now i am counting. In most diets or lifesytle changes in eating habits, fruits and vegetables should make helthy percentage of food consumed especially veggies which will help you eat a lot more to feel full while being able to cut back on excess food you maybe consuming. I think it is safe to assume that you should count everything and then based on your goals you can decide to add or ignore. More than calories the sugar content in some fruits can become an issue especially if you are consuming them during the part of the day when you are most inactive. Fruits like apple, guava, pears, peaches are low sugar and caloric fruits but on the other side watermelon, mangoes are high sugar fruits. Most vegetables are low caloric but more importantly the way you cook or consume them - oil, butter, dressings etc. makes the difference to add or ignore