RX Weight Loss Meds (Phentermine)

Options
Hi there! I started Phentermine for significant weight loss on March 4, 2021. As of today, I am down 90 lbs. I am super worried that when I go off the meds (doc said about 2 more months), that I will gain a crap ton back, even though my healthy habits seem great and pretty steady right now.

My doctor said if I don't continue to lose, or if I even gain, when I go off the Phentermine, that she is going to look into diabetes weight loss medications for me.

Has anyone had any experience with going off Phentermine? Thank you!

Replies

• KPoole2586
    KPoole2586 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started phentermine today. Whatever happened with you going off the meds? What was your starting weight? 90 pounds in that amount of time is amazing! Hoping to have those results
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the significant weight loss! Great story and nice accomplishment.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is a bit scary. It's an amphetamine-like substance to be taken only for a few weeks at a time before it loses its beneficial effects.

You might find it's only having a placebo effect now, ie an emotional crutch (I don't mean that in an unkind way) and that when you go off it, you experience no change?

How does your doctor feel?

7j750rqh6o2f.png
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine two times and lost and then gained back weight after stopping it. It also got less effective and had more noticeable side effects the second time I took it so I could not stay on it very long and it did not help as much. It did work very well when I was originally on it, but I stopped taking it because I was going to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro and no one could tell me what effect it would have on my heart at high altitudes. When I started taking again after returning and having been off it for a couple of months after that trip it gave me very high blood pressure, elevated heart rate and made me feel shaky and like I had injected caffeine into my veins. . . Basically what you would expect from amphetamines! Not sure why the effects were so different as between the first and second time. The reason they say not to take it for more than a few weeks is because it is or was classed as an addictive drug, however my doctor claimed it was not, and I certainly didn’t find it difficult to stop (just difficult to restart!). Finally, I do think it loses effectiveness to some degree in increasing weight loss, but it does help with maintenance, which is why drs prescribe it long term. No one quite knows exactly all the reasons why it works - it does have some appetite suppressant effect, but they also suspect that it has some slight effect on metabolism etc, It is particularly effective and can be effective at very low doses when prescribed together with topiramate (an old drug originally developed to treat epilepsy, but also prescribed for things like migraines and nerve pain), There is now a diet pill that combines the two in one although if your insurance doesn’t cover it your doctor can prescribe each of the drugs separately and they are old, cheap, generic drugs available at a variety of dosages. That is how doctors have been prescribing them for years.
  • Zilia81
    Zilia81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today is my second loading day. So tomorrow the real regime will start.
    How do you feel about your hcg journey so far?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Regardless of my own thoughts about it, prescribing phentermine for weight loss is, as far as I know, a legitimate use of the drug.

The FDA has already made their opinion known about the use of HCG for weight loss. Their view, as articulated, does not seem to support what your prescriber is prescribing. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/avoid-dangerous-hcg-diet-products

It could be that the FDA is wrong. It could be that you're an edge case. Or it could be that you would benefit more by having a different prescriber in your life.

One things *is* for sure.
    In terms of long term weight loss?

What you're doing is not known for that.

*the term "prescriber" is used deliberately
  • CrazyHorse_06
    CrazyHorse_06 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss journey!! That's amazing!
    I haven't tried the HCG but I did go through a 3 month weight loss program with phentermine and vitamin B shots. Started last November and lost a total of 35 lbs (pretty much in the first 6-8 weeks). Ohio only lets you take it for 3 months, then you have to stop for 6 months. I can say it does give you dry mouth but that goes away if you drink plenty of water.
    Since being off the meds, I have only gained maybe 8-10 lbs back but that is because I have been less strict with my water intake and diet the last month or two. I didn't have many, if any of the side effects of going off it. Only the dry mouth and constipation at times during the 3 months.
    Even though I know it's not a long term plan to help with weight loss, it's a great jump start to get you motivated and that is what I needed to kick my butt back into gear.
    I'm getting back to a semi strict water/diet plan as I know too strict is why I have failed other diets before.
    Advice for when you go off the phentermine would be to keep busy, drink TONs of water and that will help keep those annoying cravings at a minimum!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Zilia81 wrote: »

I'm confused. Zilia is not the OP and there was no previous mention of HCG. Was there an HCG post that was deleted?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Zilia81 wrote: »

I'm confused. Zilia is not the OP and there was no previous mention of HCG. Was there an HCG post that was deleted?

Looks to me that around May 5 someone revived the thread last responded to in March.

They said that their prescriber (I don't dignify probable charlatans with the title of "doctor" even though such was used in their post) was prescribing phen +B12 + a non approved for the use of weight loss hormone that is often paid for but not delivered to the buyers (and even when delivered to the buyers is more often than not only useful as a placebo) -- in conjunction with an extremely low cal diet.

Don't recall them posting about the extreme diet. So not sure if their post was moderated because of HCG or whether they asked for their post to be removed after the responses.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am going to comment back on this thread again just because rereading it my comment may have been more positive than intended…. I did lose weight using phentermine years ago, but I regained it and I had many bad effects from it is the intended take away. It was prescribed to jump start weight loss when it probably should not have been because I was not obese at the time. It ultimately didn’t work because I lost weight too fast and without really paying attention to what I was doing to lose it. Weight loss drugs definitely are helpful when prescribed under the right circumstances for your health, and in the context of a true physician patient relationship that evaluates all your medical needs and includes appropriate counseling regarding nutrition and exercise etc. Phentermine can be helpful to some people, but the latest research has shown that it is most helpful and more tolerated in far lower doses than it has typically been prescribed. If it doesn’t work at a low dose, upping the dose only increases negative side effects.
  • Cfrazier_03
    Cfrazier_03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wanted my Dr to give me Phentermine, but she said no, because of my age and i have high blood pressure. I was so disappointed. prescribed a diabetic injection med ozempic that helps with weight loss, but it is over a $1000 a month. So I am left with the old fashion way of counting calories!