What book are you reading?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Just finished this. Very enjoyable, even if you're not a fan of his or the Foo Fighters. He's a great storyteller.
    db8nfqwlzpuy.png

Oh, and if you're an audiobook person, Dave reads it himself, which only adds to the authenticity of his stories.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Emotional Intelligence - Daniel Goleman

Sports Nutrition textbook
  • FatToFitChaser
    FatToFitChaser Posts: 192 Member
    Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill and Limitless by Jim Kwik. I just read one page a day 😂
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Reading The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyo.
  • tamsyn2022
    tamsyn2022 Posts: 101 Member
    Atopia by Matthew Mather
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,264 Member
    Till Death Do Us Part by Amanda Quick
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    Till Death Do Us Part by Amanda Quick

I really liked this one!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich
  • dawnfire72
    dawnfire72 Posts: 46 Member
    Just finished MOX by John Moxley (a.k.a. Dean Ambrose from WWE). I am also reading the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, currently on Book 4 The Serpent Mage.
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    Marian Keyes - Grown Ups
  • saliksyed72
    saliksyed72 Posts: 3 Member
    1984 By Orwell
  • poodiebeer
    poodiebeer Posts: 51 Member
    Love, love , love the Stephanie plum series by Janet evanovich!
  • tvsloan9438
    tvsloan9438 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m recently reading The Shankill Butchers, true story about a group from the Shankill Road in Belfast who killed mainly catholics but would kill Protestants too happened during the troubles in the 70s and 80s! Awful!!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    poodiebeer wrote: »
    Love, love , love the Stephanie plum series by Janet evanovich!

I enjoyed them a lot at first, and they are funny, but she never improves and they are super repetitive. I will check them out at the library if I see them but don't go out of my way and won't buy them (unless they are only a dollar or two).
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Just finished P. Djèlí Clark's Ring Shout, which was super good.

About to start Roseanne A. Brown's A Psalm of Storms and Silence. Looking forward to Namina Forna's The Merciless Ones.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    52 Ways to Walk

Just trying to get through it so I can get onto something else. :)
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    A Different Kind of Daughter by Maria Toorpakai
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,047 Member
    The Power of Myth
    Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Just finished Jungleland: A Mysterious Lost City, a WWII Spy, and a True Story of Deadly Adventure
    by Christopher S. Stewart. The author alternated between sections about Morde and himself (modern times). Non-fiction.

It made me want to know more about the WWII spy, Theodore Morde, who also traveled around the world 5 times, and was a well-known explorer, famous explorer of his time who claimed to have found the legendary White City. He sounds fascinating.

The modern bits about the author himself were awful. He whined the entire book about his jungle experience trying to find the White City (inspired by Morde) even though no one was holding a gun to his head making him do it. It was about his mid-life crisis. He left his family behind and missed his 3 yr old girl's 4th birthday, which he didn't think was a big deal. He just wanted to do what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it. He was miserable. Just skip his bits. Totally self-involved. Or better yet just read a better book about Morde.

Also, just finished The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee. It was okay if you like 500+ pages of Young Adult Victorian Era Male Gay Romance Fiction, with very little focus on the European Grand Tour. It was billed as a Gay Grand Tour Adventure Novel. I have nothing against the romance itself, I was just looking forward to the Grand Tour Adventure (GTA) part too, which is practically non-existent. I mean it's just focused on the romance, and very little on the GTA part. You're more than halfway thru the book before he even steals the item from the Duke that sets the adventure "plot" into motion. I thought it was going to full of fun hijinks, actually touring (using the setting to advantage), etc. Nah. It's mainly page after page of him pining after his BFF, who he is in love with and just won't admit it to him for most of the book. They're passive aggressive towards each other. He had major problems (PTSD (flashbacks), alcoholic, abused by father, incredibly rude to others, etc.). I ended the book wanting a book on the Robles family and alchemy.

Also, just finished The Italian Party by Christina Lynch. If you like Woody Allen, you'll probably like this. I didn't think it was as funny or charming as it was advertised to be. Full of cheating spouses. Takes place in Siena, Italy. A recently married American couple travels there to live and work and spread the USA values to the Italians. I liked the wife Scottie much more than Michael, the husband. She did things like learn Italian, make friends with them, investigated her teenage Italian teacher's disappearance, etc. It did make me want to go to Italy and tour Siena and be a part of the Palio (a horse race based on where you were born in Siena dictates who you root for in the race). I thought Michael was okay, he just didn't do enough in the book to endear himself to me.

I'd probably like a movie of all 3 much better. I read all 3 for a book club (this month's topic: Books about traveling).

Just started Red Sparrow. Starting out good. Promising so far. Spy novel. USA vs. Russia. New, updated Cold War. Written a former CIA spy.
  • Kellieee_xoxo92
    Kellieee_xoxo92 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2022
    Voodoo Season (By: Jewell Rhodes)