Recipe ideas, tips and tricks!

Options
Samichans
Samichans Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2022 in Recipes
Hello all! Oregonian here and working on my 50+ lbs loss journey, personally it’s been tough as I’ve had a lot of issues with hormones and had a massive and rapid weight gain which really affected my mental health. I’m in a better place mentally and my hormones look like their evening out so now the focus is on the weight loss!
I love hearing about recipe ideas or cooking tips and tricks and I absolutely love seeing food pics so please post it all!!!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    My cooking tip would be....don't be afraid to experiment with substitutions/omissions when following recipes.

Unless it's specifically labeled as a lower-cal, "healthy" recipe, most don't hold back on calorie-dense ingredients. I have learned to recognize where I can make changes to the ingredients without sacrificing too much of the flavor or my enjoyment of the dish.

For example, I will usually reduce the amount of butter or oil recommended. After browning meat, I'll drain at least some of the rendered fat. For a soup or stew, I'll use less potatoes than recommended, and add extra lower-calorie vegetables instead. For a creamy sauce, I'll use half-and-half instead of heavy cream.

These substitutions can sometimes make the dish less flavorful, so I amp it up with herbs and spices, which have virtually no calories but add a ton of flavor. Soy sauce or fish sauce instead of salt can also add some nice flavor.

As I said, you have to experiment a little. Some ingredients are critical to a recipe's success, but others can easily be swapped out/left out.
  • Samichans
    Samichans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think one of my favorites was a trick from Julia Child when she make beef bourgignon (French beef and wine stew) to make it the day before and store overnight in the fridge, the excess fat will come to the surface and solidify and you can easily remove it before reheating on the stove or in the oven.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Samichans wrote: »
    I think one of my favorites was a trick from Julia Child when she make beef bourgignon (French beef and wine stew) to make it the day before and store overnight in the fridge, the excess fat will come to the surface and solidify and you can easily remove it before reheating on the stove or in the oven.

Oh, yeah, I made coq au vin once (French chicken and wine stew). We ate half of it right away, and I put the other half in the fridge for the next day. When I went to reheat it, there was a layer of solid orange fat on top that I definitely removed. It was kind of gross, haha!
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was raised in Oregon. I now live in Maryland though but that is some beautiful country out there! I miss the Marion county blackberries (Marion berries). The black berries they sell out here in the stores are pitiful....sour, firm...ugh. Anyway, I am on a journey to lose 50 pounds (almost 16 pounds down and 35 days into my journey). One of my go to recipes is a fried egg white sandwich with fajita seasoning. I fry 3 egg whites in half a tsp of olive oil. Sprinkle fajita seasoning on it and the flip when the first side is golden brown. Meanwhile I toast two pieces of bread, put one tablespoon of mayo on it with half a tsp of mustard. Then fold the egg white omelet thing and lay it on the sandwich. I think it's pretty tasty for an egg white sandwich. We raise chickens so I have an abundance of eggs. Also, the two sliced of bread are likely the only bread I have for the day.
  • Annabobanna1985
    Annabobanna1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm a Gorge gal myself! (Columbia River Gorge but now living East Coast) One food I've been trying to make palatable for the omega 3 benefits is canned sardines. They're Cheap, high protein, low mercury and full of essential nutrients- total power food. But I'm not a big fan of fishy flavor. A friend of mine suggested I make a Tuna Salad but replace the tuna with sardines. It was so good! Also instead of using crackers or bread to eat it (carbs are a downfall for me) I just got an endive from the store (Their leaves are like chips) and dipped and enjoyed. I also had it with celery sticks and it was just as good.

For the sardine salad I basically take a can or two of sardines and mash em up with a tbsp of brown mustard, a chopped or diced red onion (optional) juice of half a lemon or to taste, salt and pepper to taste and what ever other seasonings I'm into at the time. Just delicious and filling!