Running friends?

Options
13»

Replies

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I just did another 7miles today. I have new Saucony Kinvaras that I'm liking better than my previous Brooks Revel.

Ha my go to dailies. I have 4 pairs Kinvara 12s(got rid of the 1st pair recently). Light shoe nothing fancy but they are my favorites right now. They started going on sale since the 13s came out recently. I’ve gotten them from from 65-90 on sale. Although I did pay full price for my ☘️ ones. Have a pair of Ride 14s I use for walking days. Also have some Endorphin Pro 2s. Those are great for faster jog days. And oh yeah I got a pair of retro Saucony 5000s I use strictly as shoes. Yes I am a Saucony w h o r e. Specifically the Kinvara versions are perfect for my long narrow feet. I wear thicker socks with all the other ones I listed.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    I just did another 7miles today. I have new Saucony Kinvaras that I'm liking better than my previous Brooks Revel.

Ha my go to dailies. I have 4 pairs Kinvara 12s(got rid of the 1st pair recently). Light shoe nothing fancy but they are my favorites right now. They started going on sale since the 13s came out recently. I’ve gotten them from from 65-90 on sale. Although I did pay full price for my ☘️ ones. Have a pair of Ride 14s I use for walking days. Also have some Endorphin Pro 2s. Those are great for faster jog days. And oh yeah I got a pair of retro Saucony 5000s I use strictly as shoes. Yes I am a Saucony w h o r e. Specifically the Kinvara versions are perfect for my long narrow feet. I wear thicker socks with all the other ones I listed.

I don't have narrow feet. They are usually just on the wide side of medium(I have holes in several old pairs of running shoes from my pinky toes). I wear very thin running socks. I used to be a Mizuno fan, but they got harder to find and more$$.

I'm having a bit of pain from what may be an SI joint injury...I felt it on my last long run on Sunday, and then aggravated it further lifting weights on Wednesday. I'm unsure if I should run tomorrow...
  • mrmota70
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »

I don't have narrow feet. They are usually just on the wide side of medium(I have holes in several old pairs of running shoes from my pinky toes). I wear very thin running socks. I used to be a Mizuno fan, but they got harder to find and more$$.

I'm having a bit of pain from what may be an SI joint injury...I felt it on my last long run on Sunday, and then aggravated it further lifting weights on Wednesday. I'm unsure if I should run tomorrow...

Yeah I’d fall back to some walking. Let your pains lessen before you make them a bigger problem. I on occasion throttle it back. Yeah my feet are 13s. For a 5 11 guy that’s pretty long. I wear balegas to make sure they don’t feel loose. Interesting thing is that out of all the kinvaras I own they all don’t feel exactly the same. Two pair are more form fitting one actually feels shorter than the others and two of them have a little more room so I always wear slightly thicker socks to help with what I feel is loose to me. The ones that have a lot more give are the endorphins and the rides. They’re noticeable on how much they bunch. Rides are bit on the mushy side so I’ve stopped any jogs with them and strictly relegated use of them for walking. Last time I checked my feet size I think it was right about 4 inch width. I’m also flat footed so overall I have messed up feet so I do what I can with what I got. 🤣
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't run much anymore but I am needing to get into shape so anyone wanting another friend, feel free to add me. All motivation helps :)
  • atrgemini
    atrgemini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome @mrmota70 and @runner_girl83!

I haven't been as active in the forums the past month; I took a job in Virginia and am closing on a house in Chester next week, so getting the California condo ready to be a month-to-month rental through AirBnB has been a full-time job in itself. We found a leak in the ceiling of our guest bathroom after traveling back east for a week, and mold remediation is coming out this morning to test and evaluate damage. I was also working two jobs for a month, but thankfully my last day with the one I'm leaving is tomorrow :smile:

All of that being said: @DancingMoosie I basically had to take the entire month of May off from running after I finished my first half-marathon. I don't know if I pushed myself too hard or perhaps I just didn't train appropriately, but my active recovery period was so slow. I was mostly just doing really lengthy walks. My knees creaked and groaned all month, but I recently started switching shoes between runs and I've found that my Hokas work well for longer runs because they limit my speed and force me to roll when I jog. The joint pain is very limited, I just wouldn't wear them more than a day in a row. Short runs I'm using adidas cloudfoam pures and On Cloud X's interchangeably. Either my muscles are finally recovered or the swap of shoes and pace helped. I hate being hooked on running shoes at this point lol, I always want a new pair. I think @mrmota70's advice is sound; if you like your shoes, fall back to walking more. I also have a size 13 @ 6'0 with wide feet, although since the massive weight loss and exercise addiction I'm finding that some of the structure is coming back.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for other runners to add me

I'm from Durham in the UK
  • mrmota70
    Options
    atrgemini wrote: »
    Welcome @mrmota70 and @runner_girl83!

I haven't been as active in the forums the past month; I took a job in Virginia and am closing on a house in Chester next week, so getting the California condo ready to be a month-to-month rental through AirBnB has been a full-time job in itself. We found a leak in the ceiling of our guest bathroom after traveling back east for a week, and mold remediation is coming out this morning to test and evaluate damage. I was also working two jobs for a month, but thankfully my last day with the one I'm leaving is tomorrow :smile:

All of that being said: @DancingMoosie I basically had to take the entire month of May off from running after I finished my first half-marathon. I don't know if I pushed myself too hard or perhaps I just didn't train appropriately, but my active recovery period was so slow. I was mostly just doing really lengthy walks. My knees creaked and groaned all month, but I recently started switching shoes between runs and I've found that my Hokas work well for longer runs because they limit my speed and force me to roll when I jog. The joint pain is very limited, I just wouldn't wear them more than a day in a row. Short runs I'm using adidas cloudfoam pures and On Cloud X's interchangeably. Either my muscles are finally recovered or the swap of shoes and pace helped. I hate being hooked on running shoes at this point lol, I always want a new pair. I think @mrmota70's advice is sound; if you like your shoes, fall back to walking more. I also have a size 13 @ 6'0 with wide feet, although since the massive weight loss and exercise addiction I'm finding that some of the structure is coming back.

Been nursing a flared up sciatic nerve over the last 2 weeks. It's slowed me down, but still doing a daily jog. On todays outing I took off late with temps already in the 90s. Decided after just not feeling it to keep it slow and steady. Did a 10k for my longer Wednesday jog @ an Avg. Pace of 10'18"/MI. Today after the 2nd mile it became ok maybe another mile and I'll walk home if I need to. Was keeping all miles just under 11'/MI. I did do a 4 mile jog yesterday @ an Avg. Pace of 9'42"/MI so it had an impact to todays outing. I could have completed the 10k, but decided 5 miles is a nice enough number so stopped. I walked the additional 1.2 miles home so got the 10k in. The weekend may be just walks. On shoes.... well... Kinvara 12s got even cheaper so bought another 2 pair for 46 bucks a pair. Also added a pair of Endorphin Speed 2s and a new Kinvara 13 pair to my rotation. I'm with you on being hooked on new running shoes. I gifted my Endorhin Speed Pro 2s to a friend. That size 13 was a bit to loose and tightening the laces to much made them feel uncomfortable. The new Speed 2s help with a faster clip, but my long toe does take a beating with the nylon plate. Still breaking them in. I am digging the new Kinvara 13s. When K 13s have a solid discount I'll start shifting out the 12s. I am set for now. :wink: I think ha ha
  • atrgemini
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi running friends! Just checking in.

It’s been a minute. I’m still doing good and hope you are too; sitting strong at 17% body fat and 220; same exact stat line I had at 198.5 over 5 months ago 😂
  • atrgemini
    Options
    Yo yo yo! Back again for my annual check-in.

Things are crazy on my side, but good crazy. I recently started teaching two classes at a nearby community college in addition to my day job. All I can do to exercise 20-30 minutes Monday-Friday, but hanging in there!

I'm looking at my post from November 2022 and giggling because a year later, sitting strong at 17% body fat and 217 pounds.

It's true, what they say - your body is an interesting machine and does resist further weight-loss long term. All things being equal, I am so happy to know that I've been a consistent (negative!) weight the past 3 December 6ths.

12/6/2021 - 222.2
    12/6/2022 - 221.0
    12/6/2023 - 217.0

I don't run often anymore - I mostly do the elliptical and free-weights. I scored a fat deal when I moved out here to Virginia and thrifted a brand new elliptical machine for $100 - a decent one. Last week, I started changing up the routine and am doing 1 week cycling/1 week elliptical. It gets damn cold on the east coast this time of year, my apple watch notices - on average, in the last month I've dropped 100 active calories a day and 250 resting calories a day.

It's like... hibernation of sorts, no matter how active you stay!

Happy Holidays to you and your families and always, I'm around. Happy running!