How many planks do you do per week?

akafful
akafful Posts: 64 Member
I’ve been looking for ways to put more planks in my weekly routine. I’m looking for recommendations? My goal is to increase core strength and definition.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    0 While planks are a decent ISOMETRIC exercise for people who may have low back pain, there are so many other variety of core exercises one can do that are more "fun" than just holding a position for so many seconds. BTW any holding of a plank for more than 2 minutes is a waste of time for strength since that point, it's more "muscular endurance".
    Definition comes from low body fat and that's more about diet and CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I really only do planks when part of another activity(like within a yoga practice or as part of a strength circuit). I'm rarely just holding a plank. I find them boring.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Never, pretty much every compound exercise is going to hit your abs more effectively than planks. What is more difficult, using your core to stabilize you during an overhead press, or doing a plank?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    None, I prefer dynamic exercises for my core work.

I used to do them but focussed on building intensity rather than the rather pointless holding an easy variant for extended periods of time.
    Worked up to superman planks with shoulder tap but then I mashed up my clavicle / AC joint (not from doing planks!) and that was the end of that.

Losing some fat is going to do far more for muscle definition.
    No idea if planks are a good idea for you or not, might be - might not be.
    "More planks" - if you are already doing them and finding them easy more planks may not add value or be a good return on time invested.

On the plus side they are an exercise that can be done anywhere without equipment so easy to fit in whatever your training week looks like.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Zero. They have no appeal to me and I think it's safe to say my core is plenty strong and defined without them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I do zero most of the time. Every once in a while, I try them, typically get bored around the 2' or so mark, and quit without physically being forced to. (Any exercise repeated to boredom isn't achieving much, typically, IMO.) My core strength is pretty OK from rowing (on water and machine).

Planks are a good exercise, but once you get to the 1-2' ability, it makes more sense to do variations (side planks or front planks with leg raise or various taps, thread the needle planks, rolling planks, whatever) or do something else.

As others have suggested, a range of free-weight exercises (especially compounds) can get you to good core strength. You can also do more specific things like Pallof presses, roll-outs, or a zillion other things, depending on your goals.

If you can't easily plank for a full minute with good form, probably standard planks are worthwhile IMO . . . but others will differ.
  • WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    I used to do planks when I started working out, but stopped when they weren't challenging enough. I did recently buy an ab roller because I wanted something to superset with upper body workouts that would target the core and other muscles. I've been liking it so far.