Help/motivation for a 55 year old woman!

wahmx3
wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
I've been a member here for 10 years, only know that as it reminded me today when I logged in! I've gained about 10 pounds over the last couple of years and generally gain/lose the same 2-3 pounds all the time. About 8 years ago, I lost 30 pounds but I'm now the heaviest I've ever been and don't like how I look, although I'm healthy and feel I eat healthy. I know the whole calorie in/calorie burned is how to lose weight. I drink typically 7-10 glasses of water a day. I want to lose 20-30 pounds. I do light exercise 4 times a week (Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for example) and some walking. I plan on logging my food and will weigh some, I have a good selection of my typical foods already saved in here. Give me your best suggestions/tips! I'm open to trying almost anything.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I am also 55 years old. The most reliably successful tool for me for weight loss is logging my food every day. As accurately as possible. Even if over calories. Every day.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    YES. Log calories meticulously. Don’t lie to yourself about what you are eating. Write everything down, it will make you make better choices that you will like just as well. I lost 52 lbs as of today doing so. I am 53.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    Eat a little less than you are now eating.

Don't expect it to happen in a month, expect 6 months.

Definitely log food and exercise. It's the second best metric available (other than scale weight.)

Find an exercise you love (or at least like) and make it part of your non-negotiable routine.

Eat 5-8 servings a day of whole fruit and/or vegetables.

^^^ That's excellent advice, from someone very long term successful.

That worked for me, too, at age 59.

More details of things that helped me, might or might not help everyone - because personalization of strategies is a key success factor IMO - are in these threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    For the motivation part as the "how to" part has been well answered.....

My motivation in my 50's was a big decision point on how I approached getting older and my desire to have as many GOOD years as possible.

That meant dieting down to a healthy weight.
    Dieting in a healthy and sensible way.
    Maintaining long term at a healthy weight.
    Increasing my activity level to a good point despite being tied to a desk job at the time.
    Increasing my exercise and fitness levels to help avoid the family history of heart problems.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I am also 55 years old. The most reliably successful tool for me for weight loss is logging my food every day. As accurately as possible. Even if over calories. Every day.

Also 55. I struggle with logging when I know I'm going to be over. Prelogging helps with that.

I encourage everyone to be as active as possible, especially at our age.