Has Anyone SUCCESSFULLY Given Up Sugar & Flour?

Options
I have a sugar addiction. I am well versed in nutrion & health. I know it is bad for me. I know the consequences. Despite that, I cannot stop eating it. I hide my sugar habit from others. I eat it in the middle of the night in bed. This is the short version of my story. I know it is a serious addiction affecting my health and I don't know how to stop it.

I would like to hear from others who have successfully quit sugar in the long term. Did you go cold turkey? What are the keys to your success?

Thanks!

Replies

• chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If these things are super difficult, there are therapists who specialize in this sort of thing, and (if cost/access is a problem) books that can help you apply some of the same techniques to yourself. There should be no stigma in turning to experts, when we need help with this. If we need help on the nutrition front we see a registered dietitian; if we need help on the exercise front, we go to a personal trainer or physical therapist. If we have difficulty with our thought/behavior patterns around food, that's the kind of case where we should seek out a therapist - it's no different.

Thanks for your post! Funny thing is, you're not telling me anything I don't already know! I am just having a hard time sticking with it mentally. I've seriously considered seeing a therapist. My schedule wouldn't easily allow it. I would have to quit one of my 2 personal trainer days. But I might have to do it... time will tell.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options

If these things are super difficult, there are therapists who specialize in this sort of thing, and (if cost/access is a problem) books that can help you apply some of the same techniques to yourself. There should be no stigma in turning to experts, when we need help with this. If we need help on the nutrition front we see a registered dietitian; if we need help on the exercise front, we go to a personal trainer or physical therapist. If we have difficulty with our thought/behavior patterns around food, that's the kind of case where we should seek out a therapist - it's no different.

Thanks for your post! Funny thing is, you're not telling me anything I don't already know! I am just having a hard time sticking with it mentally. I've seriously considered seeing a therapist. My schedule wouldn't easily allow it. I would have to quit one of my 2 personal trainer days. But I might have to do it... time will tell.

With the admission that I haven't read it, a book I've seen other sensible-seeming people here recommend is "The Beck Diet Solution", about applying CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) techniques to weight management.
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options

With the admission that I haven't read it, a book I've seen other sensible-seeming people here recommend is "The Beck Diet Solution", about applying CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) techniques to weight management.

Thank you! I will make sure to read this!
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have found that as I tracked what I eat, I don't seem to crave sweets the way I used to. Knowing that the brownie I want is 50 cal/bite means I think harder before giving in to a craving. I have a better understanding of how something like that adds up quickly and how much additional exercise I would have to do to burn it off. I still eat them but in much smaller amounts and a lot less often. A couple bites instead of the entire slice of cake. And if it's not "worth the calories", I don't eat it. If I'm going to indulge, it needs to be worth it. Over time I seem to be eating less and less.