Working out and eating after midnight

Options
So if today I worked out after midnight does my workout count as my sunday workout or monday workout? Same for my calorie intake, if i eat after midnight does that count for sunday or monday?

Replies

• lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i start my days at midnight
    i work 3rd shift and sleep during the day
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We always go to the gym after midnight due to work hours. I always count it for the day before it hit midnight. I figure, if I didn't sleep yet, it should still be considered the same day.

Then again, this totally depends on your work/sleep schedule. Just keep it simple. If you didn't sleep yet, count it for the "previous" day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You choose! Just be consistant.
    Your body has it's own rythyms and the 24 clock doesn't mean a great deal.
    I don't tend to exercise or eat late at night, but if I did I'd probably choose midnight as a cutoff time just to make it simple. I also don't get too bothered if I've over one day and under the next, they can balance each other out.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some people log food/exercise from the time they wake up until the time they go to sleep. Some log it in 24 hour periods (midnight to midnight). I work nights and my typical "awake" time is from 3pm- 9am the next day, so I log mine from midnight-midnight. It's just easier for my lifestyle.
    I don't know if it really matters all that much, as long as you are consistant.
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    in short measurements of time are socially constructed, and consequentially somewhat biologically arbitrary. my mom will wait until midnight to eat sometimes, so that she can count those calories as another day. however for me, the cut-off for a day is when i sleep. so everything i do before i sleep, i consider to be a part of the day i woke up on. do what makes the most sense to you, and more importantly just keep that method consistent.
    hope that makes sense!
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helped!
  • fabianse
    fabianse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the best bet is to log things as they happen in the time they are happening.
    That's "reality", and will help you see how your body responds to eating/exercise in different times, and you'll have a real log of your life.

I have the same problem with my awaken periods not in sync with the day half of the time, so my exercises and eating passes through the midnight barrier.
    My solution is focusing in "goals", and my goal is to expend more than what I eat, so I can lose weight.
    Timeboxing is a good technique, no matter how you apply it.
    You create boxes of time of 24 hours, then you add your input/output, food/exercise, there.
    Most people have 24 hours time boxes, other have irregular patterns like days of 20 hours, sleep, day of 28, sleep, etc.
    Because of compensation, if the last meal of your "logical" day ends up in the first hours of the physical day, the next day will happen the same, so the calories for the next meal will be "already counted" (with the meal of the previous day).

Long story short... log reality when reality happens.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    So long as you log consistently, then I don’t think it really matters.

So, if you consider your “day” from 7am to 7am, then log midnight to 7 am as “today”.
    If you consider your “day” as midnight to midnight, then log it as “the next day”.