London Marathon

Options
I was just sat on the sofa and my other half looks to me and says 'I'd quite like to run the London Marathon'. I was gobsmacked! I have wanted to do it for quite some time, but at 222lbs and having bad knees I still don't think it's achieveable next year. What do other people think?

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You have missed the entry for 2012, so you could aim for 2013. That's plenty of time to build up your running and not only finish but do it in some style.
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    You can train with that many months till the marathon - you can still run for a charity if you choose!
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks Crux! My knees are already improving purely from not carrying so much weight around and I'm hoping to ease myself into running my doing either the C25K or C210K. I'm pretty sure these will ease me in to running quite well and it will get my other half into it too.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon on Sunday after 2.5 months training- anything is possible. I did do a lot of endurance work on an elliptical trainer to make it easier on my knees until I lost enough weight. I think that helped a lot. Also, don't skimp on a good pair of running shoes!
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've got bad knees myself, i plan on running the 2013 London Marathon, I can do 10km at the moment after doing C25k lol
  • crux
    Options
    Glad to hear it, I think running can make such a difference, and defiantly help wieght loss.

It is possible to train for a late april/may marathon from your position, but it would not be without a lot of discomfort and high risk of injury/burn out. Much better IMO to make running a fun habit for 6 -12 months, do a few 5 & 10 k races and then target a mara in spring 2013, your joints will thank you :)
  • crux
    Options
    By the way, best thing for my 'dodgy left knee' was doing squats in the gym. :)

Build up those muscles round the knee.
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do really want to be able to run without getting out of breath and feeling awful. I have a fun run with my Roller Derby team mates in a few weeks. I have no idea how long the race is, but I would imagine if it gets too awful and uncomfortable I could always walk the last bit? It might be a good way to judge my fitness
  • crux
    Options
    Best way is run/walk, everyone hurts when starting out, it's damn hard to run at the beginning.

Almost all running plans for beginners stipulate a run/walk/run/walk type programs, if you run the whole way great, if not then don't feel bad, we all had to start the same way.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've got a loose patella on my knee and i wear support for that, it really helped me, I stared c25k in June, i couldn't run AT ALL hated running as well, now I'm running 5k 3 times a week and i've run 10k once, i havent done any official races yet though
  • crux
    Options
    I've got a loose patella on my knee and i wear support for that, it really helped me, I stared c25k in June, i couldn't run AT ALL hated running as well, now I'm running 5k 3 times a week and i've run 10k once, i havent done any official races yet though

5k park runs are friendly and fun. A great intro into running a friendly kind of race.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I put my name in for the international ballot (or whatever they call it). No clue what my chances are of being selected. I guess we find out in October. Not exactly sure how I'll pull off a trip to London in late April, but I'll find a way if I get picked!

I'm doing the LA marathon a month before, so I'll be in shape already.
  • crux
    Options
    I put my name in for the international ballot (or whatever they call it). No clue what my chances are of being selected. I guess we find out in October. Not exactly sure how I'll pull off a trip to London in late April, but I'll find a way if I get picked!

Good luck in the ballot! If you don't get a place you could always come over and run manchester instead with me! ( doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it :laugh: )
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Good luck in the ballot! If you don't get a place you could always come over and run manchester instead with me! ( doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it :laugh: )

Sounds like fun to me, but I'm not sure I could sell that one to the wife...

I'll keep you posted!