Birthday Cake?

Options
Hi, everyone! Today is my birthday. This year I was going to forgo the cake and just not do that part of the celebration for several reasons:

a) this fabulous weightloss plan that has added another 10 lbs to my losses and not wanting to get off track with that,

b) I'm vegan so I probably have to make my own cake and I work late tonight,

c) my husband is on a medically monitored ketotic diet so he can't eat carbs or that will throw his diet off for a week and he'd want to partake,

d) along those same lines having a whole cake in the house is a bad idea.

So what do you guys think? Cake is nostalgic, it's my birthday, and it comes with a whole host of issues. Please, offer your thoughts.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday. Do what you want.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday PatasDeGallina :flowerforyou:
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    If you don't wanna do it, then don't.
    I don't understand doing something just because society says you should or it's a habit some people keep.
    You should do what makes you happy, not what others think you should do.

Have a happy one :)
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Do what makes you happy! :) Happy birthday!
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Birthday cupcake! Go and treat yourself to one (buy it so there aren't loads of em.)
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    First... Happy Birtjhday!! Celebrate the way you want to! Cake may be a tradition but maybe it's okay to break tradition and start your own
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    Happy birthday!!
    For my birthday last year my boss bought a tray of veggies and put a tiny candle in a cherry tomatoe so I had something to blow out. When I got home I had an individual little cake my husband bought.

Have a great day!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, it's your your birthday, you do what you want. If you don't want cake, don't have it.
  • BeckyLou828
    Options
    Happy birthday!!

You sound like you've already made your mind up...Cake isn't the be all and end all of birthdays. Perhaps find a desert that is healthier and pop a candle in (even if it is just an apple, but that might be a bit extreme!!) that way you can still blow the candles out, make your wish, and stick to your goal!!!

Enjoy your day and I wish you good luck with your cake/no cake quest! :)
  • welshie007
    Options
    Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...........:flowerforyou:

Are you able to get a mini vegan muffin or something to put a candle on? Whilst I absolutely applaud your dedication, if we can't have the occasional treat (and if you can't on birthday when can you) then life wouldn't be much fun.

Cakes are synonymous with birthdays, that's absolutely true, but how about treating yourself to something else instead like a massage or something?

You've done marvellously well. You should be proud of yourself.

:drinker:
  • marvinfan
    Options
    Try a cake pop! They are small circular balls of cake that give you just enough to feel like you are being naughty! I make em at home and freeze them, but if you don't want them in your house I know that Starbucks sells them... well at least in Canada they do!
    Happy Birthday!
  • MattHaviland620
    Options
    Today is my bday also, Happy birthday.
  • lilybug13
    Options
    I second the cupcake idea. Plenty of places sell single cupcakes.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just had my 41st birthday on August 22nd and it the best I had in years and I did not have a birthday cake by my choice I celebrated it just as much without it I had some pizza that I wanted and some ribs. So do what is right for you and forget society

Happy Birthday
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS....................... DO NOT EAT THE CAKE!!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Are there any vegan bakeries around you? If so, just stop in and get yourself whatever delectable treat you want. That way, it's just a one-time thing to eat, no full cake. You don't have to bake it yourself. And who cares about the calories for one treat on this one night, you're making a lifestyle change, do you plan on never having another treat ever again for the rest if your life? If your answer to that is no, then your birthday, of all days, is definitely when you should not feel bad or guilty about having a treat. It's not goin to ruin everything you've done so far and it won't destroy all your plans for what you want to accomplish. It's just one glorious bakery treat for your birthday. :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you clearly do not want cake.

Do not eat cake.

Happy Birthday.

:flowerforyou:
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i have pie for my birthday :P i agree with wolfchild- if you have a vegan bakery nearby, stop in and get a little treat for yourself if you want it. if you don't, is there something else treat-like you could have without making it yourself?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You could have a radish. People don't eat enough radishes these days.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    MoltenChocCake2.jpg